BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New pic of my RR Ghost, aka Big 7 Series :)

11K views 70 replies 20 participants last post by  chrischeung 
#1 ·
Just snapped a quick pic on Sunday. I am really loving my RR Ghost. It has all the features I loved in my '10 and '12 7 Series...just in a more cushioned, posh package ;)

The only thing that I miss, I mean truly miss is the Regenerative braking. I confirmed with the Rolls Royce dealer, BMW and Rolls Royce that my '12 Ghost does have Regenerative braking, but for some reason it still brakes dusts like mad. They blame the weight and size of the car, and that the system cannot prevent brake dust, like the 7 Series does. I have to clean at least every other day, for the wheels to look polished and shiny. A high quality problem for sure :D

See less See more
#2 ·
Quite elegant! Perhaps it's my imagination, but I think I can see some of the 7 in your RR.

#4 ·
Front license plate?!!

Gorgeous car, but I can't put a front plate on any of my cars. It's only like ~$200 per "without correction" ticket. Worth the price, stupid California...

Gorgeous though :thumbup::rofl:

#11 ·
We bought our '12 Bentley also from Rusnak. I do not think I have ever been given more care, time, courtesy, sincerity or genuine honesty in the last 20 years of my car obsession! 100% impressed and recommend Rusnak Pasadena!!

#39 ·
I love the clock. And its really weird how all BMW 7 rivals have one. (i.e. Merc S, Lexus LS, Audi A8). I'd have really loved a mechanical clock on my 7.

Attachments

#19 ·
The fit and finish in both cars is incredible. I personally think the Rolls Royce is tad nicer, but my spouse favours the Bentley GT.

I mean of course the GT is easier to manuever and handles better....it is a 2 door "sports coupe", that is a lot smaller, lighter and more nimble.

I prefer the V12 in the Rolls Royce and the 8 speed transmission. The W12 engine in the GT is awesome, but it has a 6 speed transmission (very, very good, but the RR is smoother and more buttery).

#21 ·
Are you going to put a CA plate on the front of it? The front/rear plate system out here makes sense, but most auto makers don't really seem to mold their cars to fit an american plate very well at all. Even the american-made vehicles. I've never had a front plate on mine and haven't had any problems from police in CA, but it also could be because I run out of state plates. I have a second place out in FL and register all of my vehicles there. $70 per year vs ~$1200.

#22 ·
The cars that I've had, that did not have the front holes drilled for a CA license plate...I did not have a front plate (I would say 6/10 of my cars in the past 20 years, I did not have a front plate). The cars that I bought, that had pre-drilled holes and a factory designed plate holder for USA plates, then I just put the front plate on.

The Rolls Royce is specially designed for USA plates. It is drilled, yet there is no bulky plastic holder/device for the license plate. It is actually made for it!

Of course, I would prefer no front license plate, but I just do not dwell or think about the small detail. I just love the car too much, to think or worry about having a front license plate :):D

#24 ·
Seriously!! :eek: What is worse, is for some reason young kids are obsessed with The Ghost, and they whip out their smartphones while driving & try and take videos. There have been Several!! times, when they have almost hit me, because they were trying to video a Rolls Royce, instead of driving.

It's funny, where we live you can see EVERY DAY Ferraris, Lambos, dozens of Turbo 911 Porsches, Astons, etc, etc...But I have seen 2 Rolls Royce's in 5 years living here. Crazy!

I was seriously floored, when I found out the front grille alone is $20,000!!! Fingers crossed, if it ever needs replacing...it is done on someone else's insurance policy!! LOL

#25 ·
Beautiful Ghost, as for the brake dust just get black wheels so it will go unrecognized =P

#26 ·
Congrats! A beautiful car indeed. If you wouldn't mind describing their customer service in a bit of detail I would greatly appreciate it. How were they different from the sea of other options. I am always interested in finding out how one car dealer differentiates oneself from his/her competition. Another reason for my asking is because I went to a Porsche Dealer near Boston recently in search for a 911 for myself and was treated with indifference, possibly due to my age being younger than the average Porsche owner, so I walked out very disappointed. I was seriously considering a 911 at the time but that experience along with another really soured my tasted.
Once again amazing car.

#27 ·
I am on the younger side as well, especially for being a Rolls Royce owner. My spouse and I have had 2 Porsches over the years (a 2006 911 Cabrio and 2009 Turbo Cabriolet). We used Downtown L.A. Porsche and Porsche Beverly Hills. Both dealers treated us very well, but Downtown L.A. was a little nicer for service, but Beverly Hills sales was as good as Downtown.

Rolls Royce is red carpet treatment all the way. From their attitude, to the loaners provided, to the personal attention and immediate response from the Service Advisor (there is only one Rolls Royce advisor, and one Rolls Royce manager at Pasadena Rolls Royce).

#35 ·
I think it is about $8,000. On the Phantom, it is actually stainless steel. On The Ghost, it is semi-matte paint. I wanted it very badly, when at first I wanted Diamond black or Tungsten Metallic (dark, bluish gray metallic). But when I knew I had to have metallic silver....the matte sliver painted bonnet/hood would look awful and just so bad with a glossy, metallic silver car.

#46 ·
There must be something "made in America" on or in the RR ghost that you can lay claim to :)

As for the idrive, it's the same idrive unit as the f01 but different interface and graphics which is tailored to the Ghost. I am curiosity if there's any other options on the Ghost idrive that aren't enabled on the f01.

#47 ·
Yes, it is the latest iDrive that the 2012/13 F01 has. I do totally love that the owner's manual is available thru iDrive (like the 7)...and there are very cool, 3D videos/movies that you can click on, that describes the cars features (a talking, interactive owner's manual). It"s really fun! The Navigation is also available in really cool almost 3D dimensional graphics.

Also, there is a Spirit of Ecstasy menu in the iDrive. You can set her to Automatic, which corresponds with locking & unlocking the car, or always up or always down and you can raise or lower her, even in Automatic setting. Fun too!

#54 ·
7 should be more special. It is the same as 5 and is 95% same with 1.
I agree with the statement. But let me ask a question - why? It's not as though the majority of purchasers (remember the main market for the 7er is China), is going to cross shop with the 5 series. So why put the extra time, effort, and money making the 7er that much different? As long as the car has the space, nice ride and brand recognition, isn't that the majority of what makes a 7 series for the majority of buyers?

Bottom line - will BMW make more money by differentiating the 7er more? Or will folks still buy the 7er in significantly profitable quantities regardless?

#61 · (Edited)
How about JC Penny as a recent example? They are trying to differentiate their upper market offering. It's failing them, and they are headed towards bankruptcy. In the automotive sector, what about Mercury? Pontiac? Saab? Differentiation didn't save those companies. Their parent companies are doing better getting back to their solid roots.

Look at the most valuable luxury brands - http://www.businessinsider.com/the-8-most-valuable-luxury-brands-in-the-world-2012-10. Not much differentiation there. Sure they may have their "halo" products that are only shown and sold to a select few, but overall, it seems pretty consistent for their major product lines.

These days, the companies that focus on costs and volume over market differentiation are the winners - financially at least. Companies such as Costco, Amazon, Coach, Ryanair... I'm not saying I like it, but I do shop those brands - so perhaps I do? A conforming non-conformist if there is such a term.

#62 ·
if I had done my research before buying this car and known that the 5 series was just a miniature version I'd probably have gotten something else. It's annoying to see these 3/4 versions of my car with better headlights driving around for 30k less. I don't think the 7 series comes anywhere near the amount of S Class models being sold, but I'm just going by what I've seen around town and haven't looked at any numbers. I'd have gone for the S if this car wasn't so much cheaper.

#67 ·
Before I got my 2010 7 Series, I test drove a 2010 S550 with AMG sports pkg (diamond white metallic, with black nappa leather..it was so gorgeous). I wanted it badly! Kind of for fun, I drove right down the street, and took the 7 Series for a spin...and wanted it even more!! It was not as luxurious, not a posh & comfortable, but it handled amazingly, and I thought the car looked so much more aggressive and "sporty". It was faster than the S550 too. And the 7 Series was SO, SO much less $$$. I cannot understand why the S-Class is so much more expensive. With more options than the S, my 2010 750 was about $88,00. The less equipped S-Class was $108,000. Crazy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.