BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Moving from E90 to F10... Big enough upgrade of size?

12K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  The X Men 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

I have E90 335d that I changed from E60 550i.

After about an year, I feel that E90 is just too small for me and my family. So we figured we could go back to 5 series.

We went to the dealership yesterday, and my wife tells me that F10 isn't much bigger in size so no need to change. She preferred GT over F10. I always loved T, but it's too big. I hear GT trunk size is actually smaller than F10's. Also deals on F10 is much better than F11.

For people upgraded from E90, do you feel the interior size has increased enough for you?

My local dealers seem to be eager to give out good deals particularly on F10, so want to jump the ship, if I won't regret on the size.

Size is obviously depending on each individual's perspective and preference, but after making a dumb mistake of thinking there isn't much difference between 3er and 5er before, I wonder if the short term perception of F10 not much bigger is wrong or not.

I have a 5-YO kid as well.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
i never had an E90; but i was sorely disappointed with the lack of rear seat space in the F10. i'm only 6'2 and my 18 month old daughter in her car seat (ok, she's a little tall) was not comfortable behind me! she would constantly kick the seat back. my brother has a new maxima and he has tons more leg space. i just dont understand why they couldnt make that massive trunk a little smaller and give the rear seat passengers a little more room? who needs a trunk that big? if your going to regularly have people in the back seat i would advise a GT. they are MUCH more comfortable in the back. all this is only if your over 6 foot. if your under 6 feet tall than you probably have your seat far enough forward to have plenty of room in the back

#3 ·
Your wife needs to sit in the cars again with the front seats in the proper positions. There is no way the F10 isn't worlds bigger than the E90 because i just made the same switch. The overall dimensions of the F10 is much longer and wider than the E90 and i can still sit two people in the back with a baby seat in the middle comfortably.

Alan

#6 · (Edited)
+1. Moreover, the F10 is bigger than the OP's E60, in some, but not all, interior and exterior dimensions. Everyone should be more comfortable on longer road trips in the F10 vis-a-vis the E90, and at least as comfortable vis-a-vis the E60, just as Mrs. Bimmerific and I learned when her sister and brother-in-law visited us for Thanksgiving.

From a post on:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420309

EXTERIOR DIMENSIONS
F10:
Wheelbase 116.9 in
Length, Overall 193.1 in
Width, Max w/o mirrors 73.2 in
Height, Overall 57.6 in
Track Width, Front 63.0 in
Track Width, Rear 64.1 in

E60:
Wheelbase 113.7 in
Length, Overall 191.1 in
Width, Max w/o mirrors 72.7 in
Height, Overall 57.8 in
Track Width, Front 61.3 in
Track Width, Rear 62.2 in

INTERIOR DIMENSIONS
F10:
Passenger Capacity 5
Passenger Volume 100.5 ft
Front Head Room 39.1 in
Front Leg Room 41.4 in
Front Shoulder Room 58.3 in
Second Head Room 38.0 in
Second Leg Room 36.1 in
Second Shoulder Room 56.2 in
Trunk Volume 14 ft

E60:
Passenger Capacity 5
Passenger Volume 99.1 ft
Front Head Room 39.1 in
Front Leg Room 41.5 in
Front Shoulder Room 57.3 in
Second Head Room 38.1 in
Second Leg Room 36.0 in
Second Shoulder Room 57.2 in
Trunk Volume 14.0 ft

#4 ·
. . . We went to the dealership yesterday, and my wife tells me that F10 isn't much bigger in size so no need to change. . .
Clever girl!

#5 ·
Hi folks,

I have E90 335d that I changed from E60 550i.

After about an year, I feel that E90 is just too small for me and my family. So we figured we could go back to 5 series.

We went to the dealership yesterday, and my wife tells me that F10 isn't much bigger in size so no need to change. She preferred GT over F10. I always loved T, but it's too big. I hear GT trunk size is actually smaller than F10's. Also deals on F10 is much better than F11.

For people upgraded from E90, do you feel the interior size has increased enough for you?

My local dealers seem to be eager to give out good deals particularly on F10, so want to jump the ship, if I won't regret on the size.

Size is obviously depending on each individual's perspective and preference, but after making a dumb mistake of thinking there isn't much difference between 3er and 5er before, I wonder if the short term perception of F10 not much bigger is wrong or not.

I have a 5-YO kid as well.

Thanks!
Listen to your wife, dude. :confused:

#7 ·
We have a E90 and a F10, we always take the F10 on long trips, its a much more comfortable car. Space wise, its a lot wider and has more leg room. The multi-contour seats in the F10 are much more comfortable than anything the 3 series has to offer. I have one kid as well and the 5GT was too big for me, its almost the size of the 7 series. I also think that the 5 series is a better looking design than the 5GT.

#9 ·
The F10 is huge compared to the E90.

Granted, the back seat isn't WORLDS bigger in terms of leg room, but then again, I'm 6'2" and sit WAY back. But in an E90, with the seat positioned for me, NO ONE could sit behind me. The seat was almost touching.

The GT (F07 by the way, the F11 is the wagon), isn't much bigger. And the trunk, while a hatch, isn't much more usable.

I have two kids (2.5 and 6), and we have done several 5 hour trips in the car in comfort.

#10 ·
... She preferred GT over F10. I always loved T, but it's too big. I hear GT trunk size is actually smaller than F10's. ...
As noted above, the GT favors cabin space over trunk space -- it is big, comfortable, and chews up the road. For our ED trip, the trunk was plenty big enough to hold all of the luggage / junkage that we carried with us.

In my opinion, the F07 GT is the better value over the F10 5er, due to the feature bundling that BMW has done for the last couple of years -- provided you place a value on the Nav system, HUD, etc.

If you are willing to make ED work for you, the deal is even better, IMHO.

Anyway, it sounds like "she who must be happy" has already provided guidance.

#14 ·
I shouldn't really admit this in the 5er forums, but by far the car I have enjoyed the most as a passenger when hitting a nice steak house is my buddy's 750Li. I know getting a 7 bumps you to a higher price point, but there is so much room in that vehicle I don't know how there could be anyone that complains about its space. And it has fairly nice giddy-up too. It's really a nice cruiser.

-Corey

#13 ·
I'm 6'4" and I've gone from a e92 to the F10 and IMO strictly on feel the F10 feels a bit more roomy width wise but leg room wise it felt about the same as my e92. More importantly from what I'm told "happy wife, happy life" ;)

#15 · (Edited)
We have an X5 and an F10. Weekends, we take the X5 esp with our kid in the back. If space is what your wife is after, than the X5 is the choice. Going back to your original comparison. The F10 is a much larger car than the E90. While the F10's back seat may suffer in space a bit despite being a larger car, the interior is much wider and less cramp. As someone mentioned, how you position the front seats make a difference. I would have to add although the multi-contour front seats are comfortable and nice, they do make the rear cabin feel cramp.

#16 ·
Like the OP I went from an E60 (two in fact, a’05 then a ’08) to a 2011 E90 335 M-Sport. After about 18 months it was just too hard to get in and out of and it just felt small.

Last May I sold it and went back to a 535 F10 and I do believe I like this car better than any I’ve had in the past including a 7 Series . I haven’t found one thing I don’t love about it.
:)

#17 ·
Like the OP I went from an E60 (two in fact, a'05 then a '08) to a 2011 E90 335 M-Sport. After about 18 months it was just too hard to get in and out of and it just felt small.

Last May I sold it and went back to a 535 F10 and I do believe I like this car better than any I've had in the past including a 7 Series . I haven't found one thing I don't love about it.
:)
Good to know as I plan to get an f10 next year too. Thanks.

#18 · (Edited)
Coming from 10 years in a few E46's (as well as a Chevy Tahoe which isn't really applicable in this discussion) the F10 is battleship huge to me. I am 6" with longish arms and can barely reach the handle from the drivers seat when the door is fully open, she's a big girl. I really enjoy driving it though, and the trunk has tremendous amounts of space.

#19 · (Edited)
Ironically, we ended up buying a new F10 but my wife is claiming it to be hers. The car was speced to be my dream car (MSports, hexagonal aluminum trim, all gadgets), and my wife fell in love with it. I am crying.

Where did it go wrong? Oh I know.. BMW shouldn't have gone with the electronically assisted steering wheel. My wife hated BMW for it, but now with F10, it's soo much easier.

Also after properly adjusting seats, the interior is much much larger. Everyone is happy. (Except... me.)

#20 ·
Ironically, we ended up buying a new F10 but my wife is claiming it to be hers. The car was speced to be my dream car (MSports, hexagonal aluminum trim, all gadgets), and my wife fell in love with it. I am crying.

Where did it go wrong? Oh I know.. BMW shouldn't have gone with the electronically assisted steering wheel. My wife hated BMW for it, but now with F10, it's soo much easier.

Also after properly adjusting seats, the interior is much much larger. Everyone is happy. (Except... me.)
I guess without a foto of your wife it is hard to give a full answer to your predicament. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.