BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2006 X5 Blowing White Smoke

28K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  airplane 
#1 ·
I own a 2006 X5, 4.4i, 79,000 miles. I am the second owner, purchased it with 19K miles on it two years ago. Several weeks ago, the car starts blowing white smoke out of the tail pipe. I does not happen all the time, but at least once a day, typically at start up and goes away. On occasion during driving, typically at acceleration, a clicking sound will happen and smoke will blow.

I took it into a BMW mechanic who tells me the valve stems are gone and need replacing. He says its a major deal costing upwards of $3K if it can be fixed. He however, does not seem confident it can be fixed and thinks it may need an engine replacement.

Someone out there must have had this issue before me with theirs, can you tell me what you found and how you fixed it? Its hard to believe a 2006 with only 79,000 miles needs an engine replacement.

Thanks.

Phoenix BMX X5

#2 ·
Usually white smoke is due to water/coolant getting into the cylinders, usually from a blown head gasket.

I think if your valve stems are GONE then the vehicle wouldn't run at all. The '06 4.4i has a valvetronic engine, so any issues with the valves would be immediately noticeable. Has the car driven any differently other than noises and white smoke?

Honestly I'd take it to someone else. It sounds like this guy is trying to milk you for a lot of money. Just a HG replacement will be over $1000k, though.

I find it REALLY hard to believe the car needs an engine replacement if it still runs. Big red flag and bells going off on this mechanic. Unfortunately I don't know any good mech's down in Phoenix.

Good luck!

#4 ·
The car will run and can run very well with leakin valve stems. However I dont think its your valve stems. I'm going through the same issue with my 4.8is. Totally different animal than the 4.4. The 4.4 smoking usually has something to do with a faulty crank case venting CCV issue and is usually a fairly cheap fix. The CCV valve usually get stuck and allow oil to flow into the intake. The hoses should also be replaced. I believe the CCV valves are somewhere around $40 each. I would try this first. I wish I had that option on the 4.8 but I am starting to lean towards the valve seals on that.

#5 ·
Not sure if this engine has the same issue with the Vanos that my e38 did but....The part is bolted onto the back of the intake manifold if it does. 60$ part with a lil diaphram that gets ripped and lets air in
to the intake. Replaced two in the last 3 years. instant fix.

#7 · (Edited)
4.4i? Probably same issue. e38 it was the Vanos...easy to check and repair..Mine was torn first. Little smoke, bad accelleration. Then it ripped all the way through - lots of white smoke, no accelleration (unless floored)..Bought a E53 and the CV hoses were completely destroyed and fell apart. No white smoke though. I was loosing oil and couldn't figure out where. Come to find out it was going airbourne via the hoses..

#8 ·
I have the same problem. 04 X5 4.4. My friend has the same vehicle, same problem. His smokes on startup, mine doesn't. Both have 78K. Replaced CCVs in mine 1K ago, still have alot of oil in the tubes that go from the CCV to the intake , is that normal? I put my finger in the tube, when I pulled it out there was a thick film of oil on it. I have been told my an experienced mechanic that has dealt with this problem before that it is not the valve stem seals but sludge under the valve covers and possibly the oil drainback ports clogged. I have heard of success with Liqui-moly to clean up the engine followed by Auto Rx. I have been told by the local BMW dealer here that if you have a 4.4 that really does have bad valve stem seals that they can be relaced with out pulling the heads and that the parts are less than 200.00. Most of the charge that places are quoting is labor. I've heard of pricing that would give a person a stroke...pulling heads, pulling engine, replacing engine! I've got a better one, if you're going to have to put 10k in a vehicle you paid 15k for used then why not put "No Smoke in it and drive it till it quits?
I love the vehicle, its a sweet ride and I think with some experienced help I can get it fixed without selling the farm! I am actively working on the problem, when I find out what the problem is i will post it so hopefully it will help other people having the same problems. I realize problems can vary from vehicle to vehicle and that one solution does not fix all but I have read many threads that exactly describe my problem. Any experienced help would be appreciated! Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.