BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Joined the club

2K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Vinomarcus 
#1 ·
After falling in love with my wife's '11 335ix and really getting tired of my suv ('10 Mercedes ML550) I just bought a CPO '11 550ix M-Sport in Carbon Black. Haven't driven it a lot but it sure is fun. Way more power than the Merc 550.

#2 ·
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the fest :thumbup:

#3 ·
Congrats but pics or it didn't happen.

#4 ·
Pics

My new baby.

Attachments

#6 ·
Is there such a thing as "too much fun"?? God, I love this car!! It's puts a mile wide smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. I really wish I had gone BMW from the get-go and passed on the Benz, I could have been enjoying myself for that much longer.

#8 · (Edited)
LOL, this was my exact feeling when I test drove my first BMW in 1995. I bought it and I've owned 8 of them since then :rofl:

#10 ·
Congrats and welcome to the Fest! :thumbup:

#11 ·
:roundel::freakdanc:sabrina::fruit::banana::beerchug:

#13 ·
Thanks!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#14 ·
Car's already in the dealership as the check engine light came on last night while we were out to dinner. Supposedly the O2 sensor and Vanos faulted. The battery is showing low voltage too which should have been picked up by the selling dealership when they ran the CPO diagnostics on it. Very frustrating was to start off.

#15 ·
528i I have as a loaner actually isn't too shabby. Makes me wonder if a 535i and saving 5k or so would have been a better route than the 550i. Could have put that $$ into dinan stage 2 and still had money left over.

#16 ·
528i I have as a loaner actually isn't too shabby. Makes me wonder if a 535i and saving 5k or so would have been a better route than the 550i. Could have put that $$ into dinan stage 2 and still had money left over.

No Dinan for 535i...the best tune out there is IMO very mild, noticeable but not dramatic. Thr turbo-4 528i is nearly as quick to 60 as the 535i. If you want power, 550 or M5 is the only way to go. You did right...I love my car but had I known BMW would stop shipping 6MT 550s I would have ordered mine as a 550 last year!

#18 ·
[/528i I have as a loaner actually isn't too shabby. Makes me wonder if a 535i and saving 5k or so would have been a better route than the 550i. Could have put that $$ into dinan stage 2 and still had money left over.
QUOTE]

I had a 2008 stage 2 dinan 535. Loved that car but it was wound tight. The 550 is effortless, just keeps going and going. Doesn't matter what you do to the i6 - still not a v8. IMHO 550 all the way.

#19 ·
The weight on the nose of the v8 powered car is very evident but the handling of the 550i M sport with dynamic drive is light years ahead of the 528i.

#22 ·
The weight on the nose of the v8 powered car is very evident but the handling of the 550i M sport with dynamic drive is light years ahead of the 528i.

Haha.Funny.Light years away indeed but, when you are waiting patiently at the gas pump those 528i comfort-drivers will be sailing by on their way to your eventual destination. I agree. Great vehicle the 550.Too pricey for me as we pay close to 70K for a loaded 528i here so it is a non starter. I can just afford the 535i next time. But, when I was younger I did pretty of stock car racing and some rallying. My 528i gets me 40 to 45 mpg on a Canadian gallon.

Sorry to learn about your fuel injectors problem.Should be covered by warrantee?

Al
On my way for coffee break...

#20 ·
Update - dealer called and they have to replace the injectors too. Wow, hope this is just an anomaly. I checked the vehicles repair history prior to purchase and there were no red flags or prior large repairs. Either I'm crazy unlucky or the problems were hid. (sigh) Hopefully I'll have the car back today. I definitely am missing it after a weekend in the 528i.

#24 ·
Warranty is handling all repairs. Just a bummer.

Yeah gas mileage is important, but so is pure adrenaline driven fun. I smile every time behind the wheel of the 550i, not so much in the 528i. Just my preference. I've had many fast cars in my day, did a lot of street racing as a teen and spent more than my share of time dragging at Raceway Park in NJ and some autocross too. I've had too many non exciting cars lately and wanted to add a little fun. It is an improvement of mpg over my previous M-B ML550 that's for sure.

#26 ·
I'm in westchester county NY. It was a haul to raceway park but always a great day

#27 ·
Got the car back today. Full power. Oh yeah baby!! Smile is back on my face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.