BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Replace 2002 540i?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  bkgreene39 
#1 ·
Hi to Everybody on the forum. I am original owner, black on beige, 2002, 76k miles, 540i, 6 MT, M sport. Fabulous car. Offered nice deal on new F 10, 550. It's tempting but I hate to leave the E 39. Yet if much mechancial trouble lies ahead, I would trade now to avoid headaches and get the new cabin technology. But the 550 in handling is an elephant by comparison.

I have replaced raidator, coolant tanks, most hoses, Vanos. I know that these cars get tempermental so I wonder what mechanical issues may be just around the corner.

In advance, thanks for the advice.

#3 · (Edited)
In order to get E39 handling, you'll need to consider the latest 3-series, which is about the same size as the E39.

It is, after all, eleven years old, and will need some TLC in the near future. If you're not up for that, you know what to do.

Sell it, and let a real car nut appreciate the car. Don't advertise it as an M-sport; it's not. Those only came in '03.

#5 · (Edited)
Plug you VIN into this site: http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/

Even my old turd comes up with M sports suspension. I believe the distinction may be the cosmetic additions on the '03 "M sport." It actually had some M5-unique trim pieces. Some here insist that the "M-sport" was only available in '03. Perhaps someone will chime in.

#6 ·
M sport pack was only offered in 2003. My 98 has some M parts like yours, it even has M sport suspension but it isn't an M sport 540! Anyway just wanted to tell you that if you take good care of your e39 it will run forever. The only thing that all here can admit to be a real problem is the auto trans. which you don't have!! My 540 has 240k miles and it still looks like a 3 years old car! Of course there is some common problem like the cooling system but if you keep checking it regularly it wont be a problem. When I bought my 540 the fan clutch was broken and I was stuck for 30 min in a tunnel in mid summer at 40-45 degrees and it didn't overheat..I say keep it

#8 · (Edited)
If you have done all that work including the vanos on an m62 engine, then it appears you are mechanically inclined. I would keep the car. You maintain it, it runs just like any car when taken care of. The new 5 is nice, but its no e39. Good luck with whatever your decision is. And if you ever wanna sell let me know :D

#10 ·
For the next 3 years, the F10 will be less trouble, warranty picks up the bill, depreciation sucks.

3-6 years they'll be about about the same amount of trouble, but the F10 will be more expensive and not nearly as DIY-able.
6-10 years, the F10 will be more expensive for YOU to maintain than the E39.
After 10 years, I'm betting the F10 will be worth less than your E39 and more expensive to maintain. At some point the electronic modules for the F10 that require replacement will total the car.

#11 ·
For the next 3 years, the F10 will be less trouble, warranty picks up the bill, depreciation sucks.

3-6 years they'll be about about the same amount of trouble, but the F10 will be more expensive and not nearly as DIY-able.
6-10 years, the F10 will be more expensive for YOU to maintain than the E39.
After 10 years, I'm betting the F10 will be worth less than your E39 and more expensive to maintain. At some point the electronic modules for the F10 that require replacement will total the car.
Thats why you lease them and dump them on the next sucker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.