BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

cd changer install help needed!!!

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  RKB 
#1 ·
can someone PLEASE help me. SO i got my car this weekend and let me say first, I am obsessed. I keep pinching myself to check if this is a dream or not. There are no words that can describe the drive of the car, the handeling, the feeling you get just sitting in it, the feeling you get looking at it when walking away after parking it.. sigh.

anyways...i need some help please. I tried to install the cd changer. everything went smooth until it was time to plug it into the wires in the trunk. I only found two different plugs and they fit into the back of the changer. However, there is one small round plug still there. my cd changer won't power up or be recognized by the nav system. are there 3 wires that go into the changer? if so, where is the 3rd wire? i took the little plug out of the navigation system and plugged it into the 3rd slot on the cd changer. it fit but still didn't power up. so im guessing a similar plug should be there for the changer. i only found two wires in the bundle behind the mounting bracket. PLEASE HELP! im guessing one is for the power. one is the audio out..and the other a possible negative for the power?!!? but i cant find it. and i dont want to go back to the dealer looking like a jack@$$ and paying a 100$$ for installation!!!!

THANKS in advance!!!

#2 ·
Punkman,

I too had me CD changer installed myself today. I don't remember there's a third plug. I don't have the nevigation system so I think there's a difference between yours and mine. Maybe it's for the communication between the nevigation system and the Changer, just a guess. Mine works like a charm now. You are lucky, you don't have to mess the back seat bolster to change the panel since you have alreay got the nevigation system. The installation instruction came with the parts althought clear but not clear enough. Hope you hav had the problem solved by now.

:thumb:

#3 ·
Hey JB. wow..glad to hear your stuff works. Mine still doesnt! i thought there should be only 2 plugs but I also have the HK too. I think I might be missing a 3rd plug cause there is a 3rd one free.

ON a brighter note...the dealer called me and said if I can promise them an excellent rating when BMWNA calls me for the survey, he will give me free floor mats and help me install the changer. I hope he keeps his word..

If anyone else knows about the cd changer installation and the number of wires to plug in on a car with NAV and HK, PLEASE HELP!!!
THANKS!!!

#4 ·
All the plugs are shape-coded so that they can NOT be inserted into the wrong receptor. There are only 2 set of plugs for the CD Changer I believe, if your nav screen/audio system isn't recognizing the CD changer the only thing I can suggest is:

1) Yank the fuse from the changer and replace it with the spare fuse that should have come with the Changer.

2) Double check the shipping screws are removed.

3) Double check the CD Changer orientation mounts are correct

And un-plug everything and plug everything back in securely and try it again.

Good luck.

#5 ·
check the FAQ at e46fanatics; there are two links to installs for the CD player.

also be sure to:
Remove CD Changer shipping screws from bottom (cover holes with black dust prevention "dot" stickers). Verify that shock springs are oriented for horizontal installation (and cover with spring lock –in stickers).

#6 ·
hmm ya. the two cables plug perfectly into the cd changer. i removed the shipping screws but havent covered the holes with the dust covers yet. However...even after plugging the two cables in...the cd changer won't even power. i did make the mistake to insert the cd magazine before I had the changer plugged in and powered up but that shouldn't affect the power should it? also, will the changer only power up if the horizontal mounts are set and the changer is horizontal? I tried to just check the power to the changer but it was placed vertically on the trunk floor while I plugged the cables in. Should i try to place it horizontally and then try powering it up?

I did not get a spare fuse but I dont think its blown out. the connectors are still joined..

thanks for the help guys...

#8 ·
ERK said:
I don't know too much about the install, a buddy did mine but what kind of changer do you have? I know the Alpine is plug and play; the Pioneer needs an adaptor.
A normal m-bus Alpine still needs an adaptor. Only the BMW-supplied Alpine is plug-n-play.

#9 ·
i got the OEM changer from Circle BMW. All the cables plug in fine so i dont think i need an adaptor. arg. this is so frustrating....does anyone know if I have to make the cd changer mount horizontal before it will power up?!?!

#10 ·
punkman79 said:
i got the OEM changer from Circle BMW. All the cables plug in fine so i dont think i need an adaptor. arg. this is so frustrating....does anyone know if I have to make the cd changer mount horizontal before it will power up?!?!
I doubt it. I had it sitting on its end with the connector jacks pointed in the air when I tested mine. All the side settings do is change the orientation of the damping mech.

#12 ·
Punkman,

I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not, but according to my dealership the part number for the CD player is:

82 11 0 028 760

While it looks like the part number of the player being sold by Circle BMW is:

82 11 0 026 418

I went to my local stereo installer this weekend to get an aftermarket Alpine unit (with adapter) installed, and while everything powered up fine -- and sounds absolutely GREAT...when it's playing -- the player apparently has some sort of conflict with the 2002 Nav system. This leads to the music continually cutting out everytime the Nav tries to update information.

The installer said the adapter had previously worked fine in the 2001's that he installed it in and suggested that BMW -- as they always do -- monkeyed with things just enough again to keep the industry guessing.

If this is the case, then perhaps the unit you got from Circle will only work in the 2001 model. :dunno:

My guy is going to call Alpine tomorrow to see if they have an updated modulator that will work with my setup. If not, then it looks like I might be forced to go back to the dealer and shell out 600 bucks! :mad:

(aside from that bit of disappointment, I spent the rest of my weekend in bed with a stomach bug, so I haven't even been able to enjoy my car. DOUBLE-:mad: )

#13 ·
yea i noticed that too. i dont think that should be the problem becuase I heard the part numbers got updated or something for the changer. i HOPE thats not the problem or im gonna be pissed. I really hope Circle will take it back and exchange it!

:mad: :mad:

I need my cd changer working!!!! :bawling: :bawling:

#15 ·
thanks JB!! NOPE!! nada..so this is what i did. I plugged and screwed the changer in. im going to take my car in this sat. morning for a service appt. (dealer forgot a couple of my car/key memory settings :rolleyes: ). then i am just going to claim that the cd changer doesnt work and ask them to fix it or replace it under warranty.. cause it doesnt work!!! and i have BOTH the wires plugged in. still cant find the 3rd wire but i dont think it should need one!!

QUESTION:
if i buy the cd changer from a dealer other than the one I take it to fix...is it still covered under warranty!? its the OEM changer that I bought from circle bmw....should be right?!?!

#16 ·
Update:

I had Al & Ed's Autosound order an updated adapter on Monday. I swung by after work and they swapped out the old one and I'm happy to report everything works perfectly. :thumb:

Now, to get rid of that damn rattle in the driver door speaker panel! :mad:

#17 ·
Hey DS...

can you tell me exactly which cd changer and adaptor you used? I might have to go that route...sigh sigh..ill find out this sat. morning.

and about that rattle in the door panel.. what CAN you do about it?! it is soooooooo annoying...:rolleyes: :mad:

#18 ·
punkman79 said:
QUESTION:
if i buy the cd changer from a dealer other than the one I take it to fix...is it still covered under warranty!? its the OEM changer that I bought from circle bmw....should be right?!?!
OEM parts are only half of the equation. I think you need to have them installed by BMW to get full warranty coverage.

#19 ·
punkman79 said:
Hey DS...

can you tell me exactly which cd changer and adaptor you used? I might have to go that route...sigh sigh..ill find out this sat. morning.

and about that rattle in the door panel.. what CAN you do about it?! it is soooooooo annoying...:rolleyes: :mad:
I knew you were going to ask me that! :) Unfortunately, I didn't "know" it until after I was already on my way home. :(

The changer is the Alpine S630 model, but I didn't get the part# of the adapter. I know the one that worked was the latest "version 5" model, but that might vary depending on the brand.

If you need a phone number just let me know and I can hook you up with my guy over there.

#20 ·
ALL Car dealers are slime

"ON a brighter note...the dealer called me and said if I can promise them an excellent rating when BMWNA calls me for the survey, he will give me free floor mats and help me install the changer. I hope he keeps his word.. "

That is such crap - you even said he forgot some key-memory settings. You should have gotten the floor-mats at closing - for free and he should have gotten the settings right the first time you asked. DO NOT give him an excellent rating - he doesn't deserve it! Just promise him that you will to get your stuff, then let BMWNA customer service know the reality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.