BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

4 Month old Dice install has developed excessive hiss

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  nickb 
#1 ·
I installed a Dice unit into my 06 M Roadster in September/06, and it's been flawless up to now. However, today I noticed really bad hiss on every playlist on the iPod.

Anyone experience a similar problem? I've reset the iPod, no help. Radio audio sounds fine. It's the kind of sound one would get if the input level was too low, and you had to crank the volume, however the levels appear to be normal (i.e. a-b comparison with the radio level is the same).

Nothing else has changed (i.e. no recent servicing, etc), except it's been very cold lately (~ 20 Fahrenheit) and the iPod & Dice are in the center console (and thus subjected to the cold temps)

I haven't yet swapped out the iPod yet, I'll try that tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Thanks -

#4 ·
Have the same issue, back hiss, but only when the engine is running. My install is in an '05 M3 off a factory Sirius unit. Did you ever get resolution, if so please share how.
Thanks
In my case, it turned out to be an issue with the audio connector in the BMW-to-Dice wiring harness connector. I figured it out when the hiss suddenly disappeared after I went over a pothole one day...

When I installed it, I had the foresight to ensure that I could easily reach the connectors from the trunk by reaching up under the rear vertical carpet-like wall. I pulled both connectors apart, squirted in some Caig Labs "ProGold" connector cleaner/stabilizer, and worked the connector a few times. That was 9 or 10 months ago now, and it's been fine ever since.

Good luck,

Nick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.