BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Blank Screen

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  blakedanatural 
#1 ·
Hello All,
After driving all day I went back out for one more errand and the dash was blank. I turned the car off and restarted and the BMW insigna lit up but then the display went blank. No navi,radio or anything. I drive control justs spins around without the little stops in between. ( I hope I explained that right)
Anyway it sounds electronic. As always any help with be greatly appreciated before I make a appointment with the stealership. Going to check my extended warranty to see if any electronic malfunction is covered.

Thank you,
Blake

#5 · (Edited)
Uhmmm yeah...NO!:) When the IDrive just spins it means no power to the car radio modules.

The IDrive reboot would not work if you don't have any power. It is a soft re-boot. (Meaning software)

Does the car start? Gauges move on the dash? Any noise from the CD or DVD drives?

If the cars runs and gauges work, your CCC is probably good.
- Check fuses, there are post about where they are located on the board.
- Next check the car radio system with a scanner to see if there are faults.
- Last (if it were me) pull the center console, screen and under the glove box. Check for power to the modules. If I remember, the radio module is a part of the CD/DVD.
Be careful, the orange cables are fiber and break easily.

Good luck,
Taz

#6 ·
TxTaz,
Well I just did the soft reset. Everything looked like it was in running order. The idrive spinned when the screen was blank. Yes the car always started and ran like normal but the dash had went blank. All the other guages was working normal and was illuminated clearly. I am going to wait a couple of hours and go out there and start the car again. I don't want pull anything out cause I don't want to mess up those fiber cables you mentioned. I will keep you informed because I have a appointment with the dealer on Thursday. Hopefully things will correct itself before then.

Blake

#7 · (Edited)
Had the same problem on my 05 a month after the warranty went out. It was the CCC Car Communication Computer. BMW fixed it under warranty as a good will fix. Had to pay $100, but it was better then the $800 if BMW wouldn't help me put.

Also there is a fuse that's behind the CCC u should check also.

#8 ·
Wow! I hope my extended warranty covers me too if thats the problem. My appointment is tomorrow at 3pm. I talked to a indy tech and he mentioned that sometimes the module in the trunk gets wet. That may cause that problem too or moisture inside the console over the radio may get wet. Who knows but Ill find out tomorrow.

#14 ·
It`s the cd/dvd drive that is in the middle of the dash. The last picture shows the yellow fuse that may have burn out.
Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Bimmer App

Attachments

#16 ·
Hello all,
Sorry for the late reply but I also had a failed CCC. It was covered with the extended warranty and I had to pay 100.00 for the deductible. The actual charge was 1040.00. So my warranty came thru for once without the hassle. I tell you one thing I am so glad I invested in the extended warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.