BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Suspension Advice Needed

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  SWC 
#1 ·
The suspension on my 99 323i is need of replacement - the rear, passenger-side strut is leaking and not absorbing bumps at all. What I initially thought was the RTAB's is more likely the strut - I need advice on how to tackle this - and what to replace while I'm (indy) is in there. Do I replace the struts on both sides and the RTAB's?? Anything else I should consider?? Best products to use?

I'm also experiencing the clanking sound from the front wheels when going over small bumps etc.

Any ideas on a cost-efficient route? Thanks in advance!!

#2 · (Edited)
The suspension on my 99 323i is need of replacement - the rear, passenger-side strut is leaking and not absorbing bumps at all. What I initially thought was the RTAB's is more likely the strut - I need advice on how to tackle this - and what to replace while I'm (indy) is in there. Do I replace the struts on both sides and the RTAB's?? Anything else I should consider?? Best products to use?

I'm also experiencing the clanking sound from the front wheels when going over small bumps etc.

Buy two matching rear struts and replace them yourself. You do not even need a jack or to remove the tires to do this job. Simply remove the lower 17mm (might be 18mm) bolt from the bottom and the 2 10mm bolts on the top and it slides right out. Slide the new ones in. Takes maybe 30 minutes. Total cost $50-$150 depending on the shocks you buy. If you have sport suspension I am a huge supporter of Tokico "Blue" shocks. They are cost effective and have a lifetime warranty. If you have non-sport then Monroe or KYB should do just fine, both of those should be readily available at your local parts store.

Front clanking could be CAB's, the entire control arm, or just bad/loose sway links. Depends on the mileage before I can make a guess. But anything north of 80k miles and I'd replace the whole shebang.

#3 ·

The rear shocks are VERY easy and not expensive to replace. Replace the upper shock mounts while you're at it. A pair of Meyle's will cost less than $30. Usually noisy, the front sway bar links are an easy place to start. Again Meyle's can be bought for less than $25 each. If your noise persists, check your rear springs carefully, they're prone to breaking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.