BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Hose clamps replaced with fuel filter?

19K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Caver Dave 
#1 ·
So I'm planning the fuel filter change for tomorrow. Pretty lofty expectations of myself, right? Anyway, on the wiki one page says to replace the hose clamps (which in the pics look foul, like a rust-belt car), and the other makes no mention. The only reason I could see to change them is if they are rusted and/or corroded. Any other reason? Nothing came up in searches, so I'm guessing it's a locationally optional thing, based on visual inspection.

Or am I missing some critical, use-only-once aspect of this BMW part?

And is the fuse pull highly recommended by you DIYers, or just an added step to make things different/better by not having 93 octane all over the place?

Grazie!

#2 ·
Yea, switch the clamps out. They're a pain to remove and if they are the original clamps that came with the car, might as well just do it while you're there. They're cheap anyway. Replacement clamps will be MUCH easier to tighten and take off if you ever need to get back in there. And yes, remove the fuse and crank the car a couple times to get as much fuel out of the lines as possible so you dont have gas everywhere. All in all, pretty easy DIY. Should take no more than a couple hours if you take your time.

#4 ·
Not 100% sure. I have some in the car actually, I can check in the morning for ya (if I remember lol) since I'm going to try and get up early to pass emissions and beat the rush.

#5 ·
Oh, just ballpark estimation, if I dont report back on time when theyre in the package at the parts store the clamp should be about the size of a quarter.

#9 ·
For the benefit of future searchers, here's my summary:
Exceptionally easy DIY if you have the tools, which are covered in the links on the wiki - jack, jackstands, socket wrench with 8mm and 10mm sockets and an extension, and some hose clamps. Instead of quarter-sized, I'd go with nickel-sized, or about 1/2 inch. Mine were a bit big, and I had to get creative with position to get them cinched down. And forget about using the OEM ones if they were like mine! They can be removed, but not re-tightened due to the wacky shape and modified screwdriver slot with no groove for righty-tighty. Also, I didn't do the fuse trick to empty the line. Instead, I left the old filter in the bracket, loosened the outlet and attached them to the new filter, then loosened the inlets and did the switcheroo. All it really required was a knowledge that gasoline could pour out of the lines (safety glasses on and head not directly under) and a quick thumb to block the flow. Golf tees could also work. But if you're not confident in doing DIY stuff, I'd recommend the fuse-pull, fuel line emptying method.

All in all, a good DIY, and well worth doing yourself. Didn't really reclaim any HP that I can tell (dreaming, I know), but I may cut the old one open and share pics. Thanks for all the tips and info!

#12 ·
My clamps were in good shape, and while I agree that they are a bizarre design, I was able to tighten them just fine.

One issue I did run into, and I'm surprised I've never seen it mentioned, is that I ended up destroying the small fuel line that goes into the built-in fuel pressure regulator at a 90 degree angle. No problem, I thought, I'll just run up to my nearest auto parts store and get a replacement. No way, Jose! NOBODY carries fuel line hose that small in diameter other than the dealer, who wants $27 for a one-meter piece! That's just INSANE!. Thanks, but no thanks. After making many phone calls, I was finally able to find the hose at autohauzaz, for something like $3.30, for the same 1-meter length. I was able to temporarily utilize a section of the original line that wasn't damaged, and will soon order the new line from autohausaz along with a new guibo to get qualify for free shipping.

#13 ·
One issue I did run into, and I'm surprised I've never seen it mentioned, is that I ended up destroying the small fuel line that goes into the built-in fuel pressure regulator at a 90 degree angle. No problem, I thought, I'll just run up to my nearest auto parts store and get a replacement. No way, Jose! NOBODY carries fuel line hose that small in diameter other than the dealer, who wants $27 for a one-meter piece! That's just INSANE!. Thanks, but no thanks. After making many phone calls, I was finally able to find the hose at autohauzaz, for something like $3.30, for the same 1-meter length. I was able to temporarily utilize a section of the original line that wasn't damaged, and will soon order the new line from autohausaz along with a new guibo to get qualify for free shipping.
Unless I'm thinking of something completely different, I was able to get the fuel line hose at Advance Auto Parts for like $5. Still have some left over which I'm planning on using for another fuel filter change.

#14 ·
Having just replaced my E46's fuel filter, I will say that if you can get the rubber fuel hoses and new clamps installed on the new filter, you will save yourself a major PITA.

If I were to do it again, I would not only get new clamps, but the 3" black rubber connecting hoses, and remove the filter by cutting the old hoses out with a set of tin snips just after the nipples on the old filter. Work out some sort of a plug and catch basin while you work the clamps and pull the hoses off of the feeds and returns (the vacum hose is easily removed and reinstalled without any cutting. I wound up getting frustrated and removed the shield entirely ( you need a socket that fits on that funny flanged nut on the front 2 screws on my car). A driver/electric screw driver with the appropriate sockets worked very well for me to loosen and tighten the clamps and the other fasteners involved (8mm and 10mm and 7/32" for the clamps). Getting the old hose off the lines running fore and aft was a major PIT with the car 3 " above my nose. Good luck.

#24 ·
I just completed the filter replacement on 04 ZHP this weekend and I HEARTILY recommend this kit, or at least having the parts on hand BEFORE starting this project.

It took two trips to NAPA, while gas was pouring out, to get what I needed. I had no idea that the clamps were evidently not supposed to be re-used. Yeah, I know, I should have read more DIYs before I started.

The idea to use the plastic covers from the lines on the new filter is a great idea:thumbup:

I thought that the car was pretty level; even so the gas flow never stopped from the blue line.

Be prepared to have lots of gas spillage. Take the required precautions!

I had to take a shower and change clothes before I could get back in the car to try and crank it. It did run rough while the air was being purged, maybe 15 seconds or so.

Oh yeah, it does appear at first that the two nuts closest to the front of the car holding the cover on are attached to the shield. They are not. They will easily come off with an 8mm socket. That really threw me at first.

#26 ·
Reused everything (hoses & clamps) while the car was straddling a drainage depression between the driveway & garage at my brothers (no jacks/stands involved)... went perfect, except there was still pressure on one of the lines (even after pulling the fuse and running until it cut-off) which sprayed me good... 15 minutes start-to-finish (includes 1, maybe 2 beer breaks, but not the shower... after the fuel shower).

In hindsight, the OE clamps use a funky head (similar to tamper-resistant) and could easily be replaced, but was able to get them snugged (leak free) with the needle-nose Vise-Grips

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.