BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

So You Just Bought an E60

228K views 367 replies 135 participants last post by  banglenot 
#1 · (Edited)
New here? Read this! Really. Set down your beer and read it.

New Here? December 9, 2017: At the bottom of this post is a pdf document. Read it first.

Version 4.4 of "So You Just Bought an E60". Note that new items (but not typos and so forth) will be highlighted in grey in new editions.

What's new: Walnut Blast need and issues; Good tutorials at Pelican Parts and Bavarian Auto, a link for latest TIS advisories, a comment on regulators, mileage rollback, and an updated viewpoint on serpentine belt failure. Rewrote the section about parts sources.

Thanks to all for finding typos etc. Please comment if you have additional ideas.

Goal is to summarize most of the issues and comments for the new, less experienced E60 owners or potential buyers who are showing up.

Work in process, and it will get additions/changes. Edited versions will always appear in this message.

Thanks to Jgalon, legend700, HF, schpenxel, pcy, bmwoem1, cvshaw, gangplank, 850Csi, TSM35 and many, many more for their contributions and suggestions. Since the downloads count resets for each new edition, there's been about 31,800 :)wow::wow::thumbup::thumbup:) up through V 4.3. Seems to be helping someone out there... :thumbup:

We hope it helps you as well.

And, since it's a critical difference between what ZF and BMW say, here's a link to the ZF fluid change procedure and schedule. Hint: it's a whole lot less than BMW's "lifetime" nonsense. I'll cc it into the doc later. Thanks to Bud B for the link.

https://youtu.be/ZRrgmfM8VlQ

Attachments

See less See more
#79 ·
Hi John,
No I did not get quotes from Indy for this one, It was relatively new for me and I made a quick decision to just get it done especially since it involved the expensive transmission. The Pan includes the filter and can be bought for about $180 but retails for $320 from dealer. The fluid is expensive about $34 per qt for OEM and they used 8 qts (can buy for about $22 on your own). They charged $500 in labor which I could have done myself. All in all you will spend at least $475 in parts on your own and then what ever labor and Indy would charge.
They also replaced an actuator sleeve seal which is common ..only about $25 for parts while they were doing it.
I will probably at least do a drain and refill every 30k miles on the fluid and change the filter/pan every other time (60k)
Good luck.
Steve

#85 ·
Valve cover gasket?

I Need help for my 2006 530i(N52) with 103k miles. Opened my hood today and found some oil leaked/spashed. Can someone please confirm if it is Valve cover gasket that went bad?

Attachments

#86 ·
I Need help for my 2006 530i(N52) with 103k miles. Opened my hood today and found some oil leaked/spashed. Can someone please confirm if it is Valve cover gasket that went bad?
CD, You should post this in the main E60 forum. Most people don't wander though here, and your request for help will be missed. Thanks.

#89 · (Edited)
The document said 3 air filters. Does that mean two cabin air filters and one engineer air filter?
That's right. There is a fourth filter in the top of the main air intake housing, and some remove that without replacing it.

Also, some have gone for years with carefully vacuuming the charcoal airvent filters, since they're expensive and the need for charcoal is unlikely. But that's a choice made by some really cheap people (me, to be specific....)

Of course, the main filter needs to be replaced regularly with a new one. Usually, people replace it yearly. It's cheap.

#90 ·
I have a 2007 530XI. You mention the front stabilizer bushing causing noise when going over dips in the road when it gets cold. Mine does this and it drives me nuts! When you say stabilizer bushing, are you referring to the two bushings that hold the sway bar to the chassis or the stabilizer links at each wheel?

Thanks

#92 ·
Increased emission just turn on on my 545i v8 whats the solution

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
that's like saying "my car is broke, how do I fix it?"

there about 100 things that can do that. You need to go by an autozone or somewhere and get them to read the codes for you and let us know what they find. The most common one that I know of is the secondary air system being clogged--fixing it is not easy if that is the problem

#103 ·
Hey everybody I am new to the site I am thinking of buying a 2008 bmw 535xi with the M package . It has 120000 km ,its very clean no accidents on the car was owned by a female that used the vehicle as a commuter car . First is it a good buy at $ 21,000. Also I would like to know what should get changed
( ie water pump, brakes and tires before I take position ). Anybody know what kind of kms I should got out of a tank of gas ?
I test drove the car and I was great total funny what handling and power.

#104 ·
Hey everybody I am new to the site I am thinking of buying a 2008 bmw 535xi with the M package . It has 120000 km ,its very clean no accidents on the car was owned by a female that used the vehicle as a commuter car . First is it a good buy at $ 21,000. Also I would like to know what should get changed
( ie water pump, brakes and tires before I take position ). Anybody know what kind of kms I should got out of a tank of gas ?
I test drove the car and I was great total funny what handling and power.

biggest thing with the 535's is all the issues.. some are warrantied, some are not. injectors, high pressure fuel pump ("HPFP"), turbos, wastegates and intake valves getting gummed up are the main ones I know of. Most all of them are just a matter of time.. You should find out what of those items have and have not been replaced under warranty and figure out what is still covered under warranty and what isn't first. I know they extended the warranty to 120K miles on something but I can't remember which item it was

Do some research before buying. They aren't cheap if you get one without a warranty that has not had the issues fixed.

#106 ·
So my story of dealer detecting two major issues - engine leaks and transmission fluid leaks - during the recall came to a closure today. I was quite happy about the service received. Not exactly sure how I should feel about the "reliability" of the car.

Quick recap - the repairing bill was $2700 or so. I called BMW NA. They agreed to cover 50%. My actual cost was $700 that includes an additional item not on the list but got fixed during the process. Then I understand when BMW NA said 50%, they meant manufacture cost's 50% (which includes labor and parts), not the MSRP that customers see. So that was a good surprise (I was thinking I need to pay $1200 or so).

The engine leaks wasn't a big deal if iDrive measurement is correct. Still in Maximum after one month of the diagnose. One indy said it's dripping, not leaking. I cannot say about the transmission fluid as no measurement available. No actual fluid on the floor but there are oil marks on the pan gasket.

I have two other leaks - the power steering fluid and coolant - that I know of. All got fixed this time. The car was cleaned after the repair. I opened the front cover - the engine compartment was all cleaned and shiny. That was a good surprise. In the report, it said they replaced several gaskets and cleaned the leaked areas.

So, this car has no problem in the last 7 years. There were two times when the power steering fluid was too low and the coolant was too low that I added the fluids (suspecting leaking but never bring them to shop for that). But if there are four leaks - engine oil, trans fluid, coolant and PS fluid - that scares me a little bit.

Dealer gave me a BMW loaner for two days. There is a stop and go feature when I stop the car at traffic light, the engine would go into "ready" mode and then restart after I release the brake. Not sure how much I like it when the engine restarts. I can see the new iDrive system has improved and there is more "color" to the dashboard.

#108 ·
Any suggestion for "high battery drain" 2006 530I E60?
IBS sensor, or, just ignore it. Mine did it for a year randomly, never gave an issue though. It say for a few weeks one time and still started fine, so it can't be draining that bad..

#109 ·
Just purchased a 2007 530i w/144500 miles on it.....
Now as with my other 96 328i w/184000 miles on it... doing the read in this forum for whatever may befall the new addition.

#110 · (Edited)
If you have not done so already:

(1) Pull any codes to see if there are any obvious untreated issues.

(2) Carefully inspect the engine bay for coolant or oil leaks. If the water pump is original, recognize that you may be living on borrowed time..

(3) Unless the maintenance record indicates that the oil, coolant and transmission and differential fluids have been replaced recently, get that done.

(4) Move electronics from the spare tire well to behind the side trunk panels, and make sure the sunroof drains are not clogged.

Oh, and enjoy driving the car!

#112 ·
WOW...that was an amazing read and i'll be reading it again...i'm lost on one part!
It said follow mikes schedule for maintenance and fluid changes....
where can I find that schedule??
I'm bought this amazing E60 545i with 49,000kl on it and want to change all the fluids and get it reset...soo I know the life of it...
also it said we have magnesium engine?!?! really?

#113 · (Edited)
The engines are an aluminum silicon alloy called alusil. No iron cylinders or anything, all 100% alusil for the block. Some magnesium may be used on other parts but I'm not sure which ones

#116 ·
09 535i purchase help & Indy Baltimore suburbs

Greetings,
Thanks all for your great contribution to this forum and very helpful information.

I know without looking at the car, it's not easy to decide on a price. But, any insight would be very helpful.

There is a local listing private sale , 1 owner 09 535i 51k miles with all the 3 packages & navigation listed for $26k and the car is out of warranty. As per carfax fuel pump & encoder motor replaced.

I am mainly looking for sport package/sport suspension the others, kind of a liability as the car is out of warranty.

I am going to see the car this evening and if I move forward , then I need an Indy to get a PPI.

Any recommendations of an Indy mechanic in suburbs of Baltimore and I can drive 40-50 miles if the mechanic has a good reputation.

If all falls into place I am also thinking on Route66 warranty from penfed.

Let me know your thoughts, suggestions/opinions.

Mods: if this post needs to be moved to a new thread, please feel free to move as this is my first posting.

Many Thanks
sv

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.