Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:21 PM
6 Series Neophyte

Send a message via Skype™ to MSDTrinity
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645ci
Advice for Wheels for 2005 645ci

Hi all,

I just purchased a 2005 645ci convertible. I can't believe I bought an 8 year old car but this car just drove my wife and I crazy. It was in excellent condition and it's now in my garage.

I have only 1 thing I'd like to change right away and that are the rims on the car. I'm looking to just replace the current rims (Sport Package) with the M6 looking sport wheels.

I've narrowed it down to the Avant Garde M355 M6 looking rim. While I was searching, I found this listing for authentic M6 tire/wheels being sold on eBay.

In the description of the authentic BMW wheels, the author claims that the after market wheels are not as good, break, etc.

The advice I'm looking for is are the Avant Garde wheels any good or should I be looking for the real BMW M-wheels?

This car is pretty stock with no mods and it's for cruising and taking on some road trips so I won't be doing any track driving or anything crazy - I just want to upgrade the look.

I'm also looking for any gotchas when buying these. In the past, I bought winter tires for my CTS-V through tire rack and it was a complete package - no worries. Since I don't need a second set of tires, I know I'm going to have to take them somewhere to get them put on and I want to make sure that I order the right thing. Any advice (or even recommendations on where to go - I live in the Naples, FL area) would be greatly appreciated.

Last thing: I've owned a lot of cars and in the past 10 years have been brand new (Audi RS4, BMW 335 convertible, Cadillac CTS-V) always. I've never felt a better driving car than this! I still can't believe how incredible this 8-year old car drives, feels and looks. Am I crazy?

Thanks in advance!_a_
Ads by Google
Old 07-14-2013, 04:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Here is a link to some original BMW M6 wheels for sell. This would be your best choice.

Good Luck& Welcome Aboard!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=702339
Old 07-14-2013, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci convertible
You're not crazy, just bought a 2005 645ci convertible a few weeks ago and love it.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSDTrinity View Post

I have only 1 thing I'd like to change right away and that are the rims on the car. I'm looking to just replace the current rims (Sport Package) with the M6 looking sport wheels.

The advice I'm looking for is are the Avant Garde wheels any good or should I be looking for the real BMW M-wheels?
Since the set of M6 rims I was selling are gone I would give you the following advice. By the way, that was a one time occurrence, I don't sell rims or tires or anything. But I have owned both replica and now genuine M6 rims.

What I have read about the Avang Garde is a bit deceiving, they claim the same quality as OEM rims. But they use a low pressure cast system for creating these wheels, which give you the same quality as your 645/650 OEM rims, the crappy Ellipsoid style. But they are way lower quality than the OEM M6 rims. Those are forged. Look up forged vs cast you you will see.

I had the cast replica M6 rims in the past, all 4 of mine failed - cracked and bent all of them. They weren't made by Avant Garde though, so I can't speak to their specific quality. I in turn now have genuine OEM replacements. Even when washing my car I have noticed the difference in quality of the rims, I regret not having them from the get-go.

The Avant Garde rims are what, $1100 for a set? You can get genuine M6 rims for close to that price.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650i Conv
2006 650 conv here, LOVE the car!!!!

In need of advice for tires. Currently running Michelin Pilot Primacy, but they are expensive and hard to find. Looking forward to your feedback.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
Re: Advice for Wheels for 2005 645ci

Welcome. ..
and if you want a real nice set of wheels
I'll sell you mine if your looking for something a bit more aggressive. .

Sent from my SM-N900T using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-06-2013, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 645CiC
As for tires, if you are looking at buying run-flats take a look at the Bridgestone Turanza rather than the OEM Potenza. You will get better mileage from the Turanza and I think that there is less road noise, but I drive with the top down a lot and have the tune box cranked up.
I also like the OEM M6 wheels.
Chapelhillchuck

645Cic July 2004 Delivery, Atlantic Blue, SMG, Cream Beige, Light Birch, Premuim Sound, Sports Package, Heated Seats, XM Radio, Clear Bra
Dragon Slayer 2006
Old 11-19-2013, 12:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to 2BAGolfer
Mein Auto: 2005 645 Ci
I am also looking to buy a set of wheels and like the M6 wheels, but where can you get a set for around $1000 like you stated?
Old 11-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Advice for Wheels for 2005 645ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BAGolfer View Post
I am also looking to buy a set of wheels and like the M6 wheels, but where can you get a set for around $1000 like you stated?
If you're talking about the style 167 wheels, you can find them used on eBay for a good price.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app