BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
28K views 40 replies 32 participants last post by  trios 
#1 · (Edited)
BMW 4 series coupe

Bimmerfest.com is live at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show bringing you coverage of BMW and other highlights from the show. The biggest BMW news so far is the 4 Series Coupe concept. Successor to the 3 series coupe the new BMW 4 series writes a bold new chapter in BMWs history. Wider, lower, longer and more aggressively styled then the outgoing E92 3 series coupe the 4 series has a love it or hate it styling.

F32 4 series pictures

More pictures of the 4 Series Coupe

The concept 4 series coupe is a preview of what BMW will be releasing as a 2014 model year. The production model will be toned down with smaller wheels and less aggressive front and rear bumpers but the main sheet metal lines will remain.

2014 BMW 4 series

In person the 4 series is the sexiest car out of Munich. The much discussed F30 3 Series front end looks right at home with the aggressive styling of the 4 series. The car is very handsome in person and the side vents are more interested and dynamic then they appear in person. Additional stand out features include:
  • Side 'boomerang' vent appears to be functional
  • Front kidney grills are NOT functional to increase aerodynamic performance
  • Mirrors have F1 style aero spoilers and look great in person
  • It is low! There is almost no wheel gap, something that surely won't be the case with the production car
  • Dash features BMW Black Panel Technology
  • The full leather dash looks amazing
  • The BMW Individual twisted leather interior looks just as bad in person as it does in photos
  • Backseat headroom doesn't look any better then the E92 3 series coupe

BMW 4 series coupe concept

4 series 440i

BMW F32 4 series

Gallery: 4 Series Coupe Concept at Detroit Auto Show

See less See more
#2 ·
The car looks great in silver. I look forward to seeing it live at the Philadelphia car show this coming weekend. Also want to see the debut of the new Corvette C7 and the Porsche Cayman S.

#23 ·
Are you sure the 4 Series Concept car is going to be in Philadelphia? This is a Concept car and it is going to be in Detroit for at least another couple of weeks. I'd highly doubt that they have another one to show in Philadelphia before the Detroit show is over. I'm thinking the same for the 'Vette too.

#4 ·
This "barbell" design element (thin strip across the end of the car with bulges on either side) reminds me of a little kid trying to make a scary face by stretching his mouth with fingers. Three of them (counting the headlight/(fake) grille, lower front air inlet and rear exhaust enclosure) on one little car strikes me as a bit much. Maybe I'm just lamenting the loss of kidney function.

#5 ·
Wow, I'm very surprised by the shear amount of exterior styling going on. This is a significant departure from the e92 slab-paneling.

Those mirrors are overdone, the hood is seriously sculpted, the front end is going for the macho look, and the swage line looks like an escalade punched into the side of the car it's so indented.

I like the interior a bit more than the f30 in terms of the flow of lines - bit more organic in the center stack area.

Despite those comments, it looks very attractive and I realize they were aiming to outdo the gorgeous Audi S5 - and I think they've done it. Plus that's the best silver I've seen on a car since the Porsche 993 in Polar Silver.

#7 ·
Do you guys think that the grills will be functional on the production model? They are on the F30 and I can't think of any production BMWs that have "fake" kidney grills. I don't know why it bothers me, but between that and exhaust notes being artificially enhanced in the cabin (i.e. Z4) some of this stuff is starting to feel gimmicky to me. I think there is still something appealing about the idea of form following function, and the thought that the engineers got the final word over marketing and design.

Maybe closing off the kidneys is form following function in this case, but at that point they should just be eliminated. Who knows.

#9 ·
Do you guys think that the grills will be functional on the production model? ... Maybe closing off the kidneys is form following function in this case, but at that point they should just be eliminated. Who knows.
Closed does not necessarily mean non-functional. At least one of the BMW hybrid concepts (the Vision IIRC) had active grille vanes that closed for aerodynamic efficiency when cooling airflow was not needed. Perhaps that technology has carried over to the 4 Series?

#11 ·
I believe the active vent design is on the current 7-series as well. You usually don't need that amount of airflow at speeds anywhere over 10mph, so it makes alot of sense. I just hope they are designed to fail open (like most modern thermostats).

#20 ·
SUghhhhh_WEEEEEETTTTTTT!!!!!

#21 ·
That is one ugly rear. Rest of it is ok.

#28 · (Edited)
Two gaping holes on each corner of front bumper, same on the rear... "TypeR VTEC Sparco" mirror design... More "fat" (longer, wider) than current 3-series coupe... Non-functional plastic spacers in a shape of "kidney grill"... "L.L. Bean edition" cupholders... Altogether looks awful, just as I expected from "new design language". Oh well, 12-year-old kiddies and simple-minded badge whores will still be throwing their (or their parent's) money at BMW when it will hit dealership in its final form (which I doubt will change in any significant way from this concept) ;)

#34 ·
That car is 90% awesome and 10% hideous.

Overall the lines are great and the lights look sweet.

however, The front and rear lower facia just ruin it. It looks like an ugly dog with a stick in its mouth.

That individual interior looks straight out some d-bag's living room in Scottsdale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.