A pleasant surprise - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bmw328
A pleasant surprise

I used to have a 328 2011. Couple of months a go i got a 2016 328. Out of my surprise i noted that the 2016 uses way less gass than the 2011. Currently the 2016 is in comfort mode. Is that why? The 2011 did not have the option to change modes so i am not sure what mode it was in...

Thanks for your input
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2017, 10:16 AM
Bimmerfest.com Founder

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Turbo i4 vs NA i6 and a bunch of years of increased technology is my guess.

Tim
Old 04-21-2017, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Roush RS3 mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
turbo i4 vs na i6 and a bunch of years of increased technology is my guess.

Tim
+1

2014 Roush Mustang RS3 A6
Looking for a 15+ X3 or X5
Old 04-21-2017, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Also, 8 speed vs 6 speed automatic helps
Old 04-22-2017, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 335d, 328ix, hard bargain
No, comfort mode is not the reason why. as mentioned above: 2L 4cyl for new vs 3L 6cyl on your old. Regarding driving modes. Eco pro is supposed to technically give you the better gas mileage than comfort and sport. Eco pro according to BMW is supposed to give you up to 20% more fuel economy depending on your model and driving behavior. Driving behavior being that you can still drive fast, accelerate hard, drive manual mode to run higher rpm between gears, override the auto stop/start, etc which would defeat the purpose of the eco pro mode shutting things down or retarding things to save fuel consumption.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
Sport and Sport + will increase RPM's of the shift points on a car with an automatic transmission. (I've heard that some BMW's have those.)

If you have Dynamic Handling Package, there's a hydraulic pump that runs the active-anti-roll system. That's another drag on the engine that increases fuel consumption in Sport and Sport + modes.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:41 PM

A pleasant surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
Sport and Sport + will increase RPM's of the shift points on a car with an automatic transmission. (I've heard that some BMW's have those.)

If you have Dynamic Handling Package, there's a hydraulic pump that runs the active-anti-roll system. That's another drag on the engine that increases fuel consumption in Sport and Sport + modes.

They don't offer active anti roll on the f30. They do use the same package name but it just refers to the addition on a variable ratio steering rack
Old 04-25-2017, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw328
Thank you very much
So who is driving comfort mode and who is driving eco pro here and why?
Old 04-25-2017, 09:37 PM

Comfort+ for me lately. Where I live the roads are flat and straight, sort of a waste of a BMW. The only time I get to use the handling of my BMW and my Michelin PSS's locally is making a sweeping left turn (with two left turn lanes) quickly to beat the yellow light or to get ahead of another left turner to get to my off-ramp.

I've had a few short but good races where somebody is Hell bent on me not getting in front of them. I'm not cutting them off, just driving faster than they would have been normally.

The last "race" was against a Chevy Equinox compact SUV. I was in my Cobalt beater. Both cars likely had the same engine, a 2.4 liter, VVT, four-cylinder. But, I had the weight advantage and a fairly new set of Continental DW's. Being in the left most lane, shorter turning radius and I can modify my line through the turn, gives me an inherent advantage.

Last year, a woman in the right left turn lane, in a Mercedes-Benz CLS 500 almost hit the curb trying to stop me from getting in front of her in the fun turn.

On a manual transmission BMW, changing the modes changes the throttle sensitivity. It's hard to readapt with constant changes between Sport and Comfort.

Eco Pro fiddles with the performance of the air conditioning. Once I figured that out, I was pretty much done with Eco Pro. Eco Pro on a manual transmission car also pretty much prevents blipping the throttle for smooth downshifting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fun part of daily commute.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	595263  
Old 04-25-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
Comfort+ for me lately. Where I live the roads are flat and straight, sort of a waste of a BMW. The only time I get to use the handling of my BMW and my Michelin PSS's locally is making a sweeping left turn (with two left turn lanes) quickly to beat the yellow light or to get ahead of another left turner to get to my off-ramp.

I've had a few short but good races where somebody is Hell bent on me not getting in front of them. I'm not cutting them off, just driving faster than they would have been normally.

The last "race" was against a Chevy Equinox compact SUV. I was in my Cobalt beater. Both cars likely had the same engine, a 2.4 liter, VVT, four-cylinder. But, I had the weight advantage and a fairly new set of Continental DW's. Being in the left most lane, shorter turning radius and I can modify my line through the turn, gives me an inherent advantage.

Last year, a woman in the right left turn lane, in a Mercedes-Benz CLS 500 almost hit the curb trying to stop me from getting in front of her in the fun turn.

On a manual transmission BMW, changing the modes changes the throttle sensitivity. It's hard to readapt with constant changes between Sport and Comfort.

Eco Pro fiddles with the performance of the air conditioning. Once I figured that out, I was pretty much done with Eco Pro. Eco Pro on a manual transmission car also pretty much prevents blipping the throttle for smooth downshifting.

Why not just go to "configure sport mode" and select "chassis only". That should give you the firmer steering and suspension setting without the jumpy throttle.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
Why not just go to "configure sport mode" and select "chassis only". That should give you the firmer steering and suspension setting without the jumpy throttle.
Thanks. I'll give that a try. I'm still discovering things on the iDrive after three years.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search