BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New Key

775 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  maxeaus 
#1 ·
A while ago I was locked out of my car as my remote failed and wouldn't work (of course not at home), I tried my door lock but guess what, it didn't actually work IN the door, luckily the boot still unlocked so I could get home, what happened was the small nodule inside the remote broke apart so the doors wouldn't work, of course I found this out after I had to razor blade the key remote open.

Once home I then used my spare key but I also tried it IN the door itself to see if that one also didn't work in the door and you guessed it it didn't work in the door either!....BUGGER.

So then I was stuck with one key that only worked remotely so after seeing it was circa $800 for a key from BMW....WTF!.....I bought one off eBay for $50 and have been quoted $22.50 to have it cut, NOW before I get it cut my question is,

Why dose both my keys not work IN the door lock? AND how can I fix that?

#2 ·
Why dose both my keys not work IN the door lock? AND how can I fix that?
Don't know, sounds odd.

There have been one or two other similar tales here, but unfortunately the original poster never came back with an update on what the final fix was.

Such as: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7422803&postcount=8

Maybe part of the mechanical aspect of the door lock seized but the remote bypasses that portion and allows the mechanism to function properly?

In which case your new key, when cut, will not work either.

And keep in mind that although you can program the door locking/unlocking of the new key yourself, you cannot program it to start the car.

That's a big portion of the $800 the dealership quoted you for ordering a new key and programming it for both the doors and the ignition.

A well-equipped locksmith might have the software to do that for you, at less cost, but still more than the $22.50 for the cutting.

#4 · (Edited)
Well after seeing two locksmiths who do auto both say they cannot program my new key as the first one said the chips don't match and second one said he got a chip raed on the new key but couldn't read the original key hence he cant do it either what the hell is going on here? :dunno:

#5 ·
Well after seeing two locksmiths who do auto both say they cannot program my new key as the first one said the chips don't match and second one said he got a chip raed on the new key but couldn't read the original key hence he cant do it either what the hell is going on here? :dunno:

This is the one I bought, many sold and nearly 100% positive feedback for the guy.:confused: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130594955422?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.