BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

*******logic 7 amp repaired, diy********

36K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  smoduro 
#1 ·
Im technically inclined, but i dont know anything bout these amps. I was havin the same troubles like everybody else. Man, I love this car, it gets me crazzy puntang!
Anyway, if the amp was faulty, I cant hurt it no more, so i opened it up took the boards out....I was goin to use my multi meter and just take measurements across all the components that duplicated or were the same size, if one or two didnt match, i was going to replaced them.........However, before doin that, i closely looked at the boards, you wont see anything obvious, but look at the big round capacitors, theres 10 in groups of 5.
I saw 3 capacitors that had slowly grew a minuscule larger than the others, you can tell by lookin at the ones that have stretched the labels....i will try to upload pix later..i replaced them, put everything back together and now my pu c level is through the roof:bigpimp:

might work for u, it work for me....

#2 · (Edited)
I was going to do this same thing when mine finally blows. Its more than likely just bad capacitors like you mentioned above. I order most cap's from DigiKey(for computer repairs). Did you replace them with better quality caps?

Also, should I take mine apart, my only symptom is the sound crackles sometimes, but I dont know if its the l7 going bad or not?

#4 · (Edited)
my front speakers were workin ok, my rear and subs, were not workin.....sometimes when i start the car for the first time, everything is workin...by the time i make it to the stop light, they cut in and out then just die.....Also, when i turn off the car, it would sound like my bass was still tryin to play....wierd.......I got lucky, i didnt do any diagnostics cause after readin the forums, it had to be the amp...when u are lookin at the caps, go ahead and test with your meter....
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/44269-cap-alum-6800uf-25v-20-radial-ekmg250ell682mmp1s.html

i also found this..... http://www.marklevinsonfix.com/page-1.php

Attachments

#6 ·
could you circle the exact ones i have no idea what i am looking at?:dunno: which set and how many would i need? sorry im slow :rofl:

#5 ·
Nice player

#11 · (Edited)
Hello morph.... I wanted to know if you think anything else could be the culprit other than capacitors. I got mine opened up but can't seem to find anything wrong with them... They all look good aside from the fact that most of them have the glue around them... And can you please tell me which exact capacitors I need. The link doesn't isolate them. Thanks

#19 ·
crackin sound from my mid's not the subs. The subs had a deep muffling sound, especially when i turned the ignition off and lock the car....I could still hear it outside....its definitely the logic 7 amp...I probably got lucky, lookin at mine it was obvious its was the caps...i read that other members had the same symptoms with the amp but it was a different problem...like transistor or something like that....the cheap way to go with nothing to loose...open it up, replace all capacitors...if it it didnt work, send it in to be repaired for cheap....theres a guy here fixin em..GL

#24 ·
im thinking of buying a kit and pulling my L7 if that is the case can i ask you. Have you soldered before im affraid of doing it myself and damaging the board. I was going to go to radio shack and by my kit and it looks as if they have the capacitors in stock their as well.

Since the repair, have you had any issues since???

#27 ·
Guys I just joined this forum. And after reading all about amps here. I realized I should have joined way earlier. I would have saved the $200 I paid the dealer just to turnaround an tell me the crackling sound is as a result of a faulty amp. But anyways live and learn. Now I am trying to save myself from paying $3600 to the dealer to replace my amp. I think I have read enough to tackle it myself. lets face it, the harm is already done anyways. Like I said I am new here so I don't know if I can post videos on here. But I will most defiantly post pictures of my adventure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.