BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Drove a '06 Z4M roadster Saturday

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  vicj 
#1 ·
All these years I've never driven a single M car, but that changed yesterday when I went down and drove a used (2006) Z4M Roadster that showed up at my local dealer recently. I really liked the car :D but will not be buying it (I am looking for a 2008 that I will keep for many years).

One thing about the car that I thought odd - the yellow and red areas of the tack were back-lighted. Is that normal on Z4M's? I say it seemed odd as I imagine it would become a nuisance at night. Any comments about that?

I also drove, simply for comparison and because I had the time, a '07 Z4si, a '11 Z430i (both manual transmissions) and a '11 Z435i (auto).

The other thing I noticed was that the '07 Z4si's "sport" seat seemed to not fit me very well (I weigh just over 200 lbs and am 5'10") whereas the "sport" seat in the '06 Z4M seemed more welcoming to my shape/body. Anyone else experience any difference in the sport seats btwn different vehicles? This left me thinking I would need to actually sit in and drive any Z4M I might be interested in purchasing - that's perhaps a lot of plane flights around the country!! :yikes:

#2 ·
I had a 2006 MZ4 and my father has a 2007 Z4 3.0si with the Sport seats-- they are the exact same seats, so the only reason you might have fit better in the M was if the seats had been "broken in" (perhaps the previous owner was a bit larger and stretched the seat?) :rofl:

Either that or it was just psychological and you just thought you fit better in the M. :D

#5 ·
The leather might be different, no? I seem to recall a softer nappa leather in some of the M's.

#7 ·
M has better leather, but having owned a 3.0si with M seats for 2.5 years and now the M, I don't recall the seats feeling any different. What SARAFIL described above is most likely correct. I think you'd get used to the snugness (or stretch out the seats to the point where they're comfortable) over time.

I don't find the lit tach portions bothersome at night, and you can always turn the brightness of the overall display down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.