BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

335d Oil Change Interval

14K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Alpine300ZHP 
#1 ·
Guys and Gals. I am at a crossroads regarding this topic. I did an early change on my diesel at 6k miles and am conflicted as to if or not I should do it every 6k miles or let it run the 11k miles the OBC calls for? Has anyone on here done an oil analysis with the oil at 9-11k miles? If so how did it look? On the surface it appears that 11k miles is actually a doable change interval for this car, but I like to be sure. Any input you guys can give is much appreciated.

#6 ·
Thanks. It looks like 77 ppm on 11k oil is well under 100 ppm. Seems like BMW went to a reasonable oil change level for this engine. Makes me wonder why they do not do that for all of them. Even MB recommends oil changes at 10k and that seems to be reasonable.

#8 ·
If you are leasing and not planning to buy at the end of the lease just let BMW change the oil when it's due, nothing more. If you are buying and plan to keep the car beyond 100K miles, I would do just as you did, an initial change early just to get rid of any particles that might have been generated during the early break in. If you do mostly highway driving as I do, I am going to follow BMW's computer and just have the dealer do the covered changes. However, if plan to keep the car and are doing a fair amount of low speed around town driving I would not consider more frequent changes but since I do mostly highway driving my car goes about 13K miles between covered changes. I don't know if the interval is shorter if most of the driving is lower speed around town with more starts and stops of the engine. With modern synthetic oil, 13K miles is not a lot of miles between changes but I would go longer than 12 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.