BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Daytime Instrument Cluster at Night

184K views 145 replies 59 participants last post by  jarlsbilservice 
#1 ·
I am sure this is not for everyone, but I personally like the bright daytime instrument display a lot better than the nighttime orange display. To me it is sharper looking and easier to read, with more contrast.

You can easily change a simple code so that it remains in daytime mode all the time:

KOMBI-->3007 KI_Dimmung, 24-->DIM_NACHT_EIN-->Werte=FF

The default value is Werte=0A. This hexadecimal value relates to the sensitivity of the sensor that determines the threshold at which the display changes into its nighttime mode. When set to "FF" it stays on the daytime mode constantly.

Speedometer Gauge Auto part Measuring instrument Tachometer
Gauge Speedometer Auto part Car Vehicle

At least for the F10, you can still select the color of the decorative lines in the extended display (orange or gray), depending on your preference, using the code in my earlier post.

KOMBI-->3000 Anzeige_Konfiguration-->HINTERGRUND_FARBE_TAG-->Grau or Orange

JEG23

See less See more
#4 ·
I confirm that this also works on the f01. And what a huge difference between the day and night cluster. I couldn't stand the ugly all orange cluster, the daytime cluster looks so much better and so much crisper at night.

Thanks jeg23 for all your help.
My pleasure. Thanks to you for your early testing.

JEG23

#6 ·
While testing these codes, I found the following:

1- KOMBI 3007 ............DIM_Nacht_EIN (functional)
2- KOMBI 3000.............HINTERGRUND_FARBE_TAG (does not exisit)

3- while exploring I have noticed two other codes:

A. KOMBI 3007---KI_Dimmung---DIM_DTN ( I'm not sure about its function but it seems that it also deals with day/night sensor thresold but I'm not sure which one yet!

B. KOMBI 3000 Anzeige_Konfiguration---CC_TEXT_FARBE-----WERT: symbol color OR White/orange (looks like that it codes the text-color of the CHECK CONTROL message that appears on the Instrument Cluster, it gives an option of either matching the text color and the symbol-color that accompainies that text (Symbol color) or the text will appear in white/orange regardless of symbol color. (I will have to do more tests to confirm).

I'm not sure why I couldn't find number 2, I'm predicting that it has to be related to my ISTP version, my 550 2011 never received any dealer flash/updates since the production date May 2011, this could mean that i'm working with ver. 2.42.x

BTW Could someone please tell me what would these two abbreviations in KOMBI stand for/refer to:
(PIA) and (KI).

Thanks to everyone for these great efforts!

#7 ·
@ZMS

f01driver could not find

HINTERGRUND_FARBE_TAG

either in his F01.

I recently flashed my KOMBI to the latest data (more on that from shawnsheridan soon), so it is possible that this is a new entry that requires more recent software.

As for

3007 KI_Dimmung, 24->DIM_DTN

I have experimented a bit with that and I cannot see (yet) any effects, but it needs more testing.

The KOMBI 3000 Anzeige_Konfiguration---CC_TEXT_FARBE-----WERT does exactly what you described.

I appreciate your experimentation with new settings you find. I personally think that there is not enough of that here. There is no other way to find new features that we all can benefit from if we do not push the envelope a bit. Thank you for that.

As for PIA, it deals with a Personal Profile function that ends up stored in your profile. That said, it seems that more recently it is being used by BMW for many other settings, seemingly unrelated to profile saving. When it comes to KI, I unfortunately have no idea.

JEG23

#8 · (Edited)
Does this have any impact on the Navigation Night / Day Mode to where it too will be in Day Mode at Night?

#10 · (Edited)
Same here, didn't notice any change.

Edit:

Went down to my garage and had a quick look, the navigation screen brightness can't be adjusted and is at maximum brightness and the dim switch near the headlamp makes no difference to the nav or the climate control lighting which is also at max brightness. I guess we have to find a way to have master control over all the interior dash and instrument lighting.

#11 ·
f01driver,

In my case the dim switch does not indeed adjust the brightness of the Nav screen, but it does dim the interior (mood) lights, the climate, radio, etc. controls and the HUD.

It does not dim the instrument cluster, but that is the case also for the cluster during the day; it is not dimmable.

The Nav screen is capable to go into the "night mode" at least manually; I still need to test it at night to see if it goes to "night mode" automatically.

That said, I have no problem with my instrument cluster not being dimmable. It still looks so much better.

JEG23

#14 ·
Sorry I should have mentioned that.
Its not in Kombi, for my F30 its in the Fembody ECU.

Fembody in the f30 is something of a "and here goes all the rest" (mostly about light)
For your f10, FRM would probably be a good guess. Maybe CAS? I bet Shawn will know where to locate it.

#15 ·
Sorry I should have mentioned that.
Its not in Kombi, for my F30 its in the Fembody ECU.

Fembody in the f30 is something of a "and here goes all the rest" (mostly about light)
For your f10, FRM would probably be a good guess. Maybe CAS? I bet Shawn will know where to locate it.
If it exists also on F10, JEG23 will find it. :)

#18 ·
ilhan1103,

No problem. I appreciate your help on this.

To summarize, the KOMBI->3007 KI_Dimmung, 24->DIM_NACHT_EIN->werte=FF

Changes your Instrument cluster to the bright daytime mode all the time. The roller switch to adjust brightness works for all interior lights (mood and HUD) but not the cluster itself (it just means that you cannot adjust the white display, but in my view it is not too bright). The Nav screen brightness can be adjusted via the slider in the CIC.

I am happy with the daytime mode all the time (I hate the orange display). There might not be a way to adjust the bright display (during the day time normally there is no adjustment possible).

JEG23

#19 ·
I have to confirm on my f30 yet for the white cluster all the time. I have found the value and changed the werte but I uploaded the wrong file to the car thinking it didn't work ;)

The roller thingy does in fact change my instrument cluster brightness (around the gauges etc) hence I liked the setting to get ambient/mood independent from the cluster.

I don't have the extended cluster like you guys though. I have the cheap version, probably not even available on the f10

#21 ·
I totally forget you can adjust the brightness for the nav screen duh.

JEG23, any updates on the gray extended panel? I believe you mentioned updating some files?
I think you need only this as he wrote:

#28 ·
Ok, so let me get this straight..

We can get the display to stay in day mode (white) but as a result, you lose the auto toggle of the iDrive screen between day/night.

Is there a way to toggle the iDrive screen between night/day mode via button assigned to presets 1-8? (sorry, my car is still in the middle of the ocean so I can't test...)

#29 ·
Ok, so let me get this straight..

We can get the display to stay in day mode (white) but as a result, you lose the auto toggle of the iDrive screen between day/night.

Is there a way to toggle the iDrive screen between night/day mode via button assigned to presets 1-8? (sorry, my car is still in the middle of the ocean so I can't test...)
The toggle does not change the iDrive from day to night mode, it just changes its brightness when the car is in night mode. You do loose that, but you can still adjust the brightness via the iDrive itself. As far as I am concerned, a minor inconvenience in exchange of getting rid of the ugly orange night mode in the cluster.

JEG23

#30 ·
I think I might have some insight into what the problem is.

You Jeg23 (and possibly all f10s?) have the extended instrument cluster.
If you don't have that one, only the little bc part showing date/cons. etc will move from white to orange at night. The backlight of the gauges (ie tacho) will always be orange.

As for the 'iDrive nightmode' marsb007 probably means the navigation day/night switch.
As memory serves, I think you can assign a preset button to this. Alternatively, leave it in daymode it doesn't bother me that much personally.

#33 ·
@JEG23 - While you were testing this, did you come across the opposite whereas the Night Mode is always on? Maybe Werte=00?

#39 ·
I am sure this is not for everyone, but I personally like the bright daytime instrument display a lot better than the nighttime orange display. To me it is sharper looking and easier to read, with more contrast.

You can easily change a simple code so that it remains in daytime mode all the time:

KOMBI-->3007 KI_Dimmung, 24-->DIM_NACHT_EIN-->Werte=FF

The default value is Werte=0A. This hexadecimal value relates to the sensitivity of the sensor that determines the threshold at which the display changes into its nighttime mode. When set to "FF" it stays on the daytime mode constantly.

View attachment 352316 View attachment 352317

At least for the F10, you can still select the color of the decorative lines in the extended display (orange or gray), depending on your preference, using the code in my earlier post.

JEG23
Hi.. I'm a new owner for F01 and can any one help me where and how I can use this code ?

#44 ·
What was originally posted in the other thread was using an entirely different HUD FDL Code, not these KOMBI FDL codes.

#46 ·
Shawn, do these codes still work with the 6WB cluster?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Sorry, I do not. I haven't bothered testing it as I am fond of 6WB the way it is.

#52 ·
TurboBusa,

I am afraid I do not know the answer to this one. I know next to nothing about coding for the E platform.

Did you search for "DIM_NACHT" in the KOMBI or the FRM ECUs?

JEG23

#56 ·
I wonder if I could do this on a regular kombi. I would like for the cluster to be lit all the time since I drive trough a tunnel on my daily commute and at times I had to turn my lights on just to see my current speed.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app