8K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Revn 
#1 · (Edited)
2012 M3 ***8211; One Year+ Ownership Experience

Maintenance

1200 miles - initial BMW service - no problems - no charge
12K miles ***8211; one quart of oil
15K miles ***8211; BMW service ***8211; no problems - no charge
15K Miles switched out Conti SportContact3s for Michelin Pilot SportPS2s
BTW Passport BMW ***8211; matched Tirerack***8217;s published on line price and mounted
my new Michelins for free ***8211; nice frequent flyer perk

16K+ miles with my M3 - experience...

........ S U B L I M E

After 13+ months and 16K+ miles, my appreciation of my M3 only grows in intensity. I have owned many nice cars but without a doubt ***8211; irrespective of price ***8211; no car has provided such satisfaction and keen delight. My M3 represents the perfect nexus of dynamic capability, purposeful aesthetics, and accommodating functionality. I savor the experience of pushing the start button ***8211; blipping the gas ***8211; vrrooom ***8211; and being transported by the guttural rhapsody of M Song to that sublime place where perception, road and machine become one ***8211; to live in the exhilaration of the M moment.

M3s are cool.

See less See more
#2 ·
It looks and sounds eerily like my experience and view of this magnificient car. The only difference is that I have two years and 30k miles and I got Michelin Pilot Super Sports at 12k miles from tirerack that my dealer ordered for me and mounted to a minimal cost. I often find myself thinking "It doesn't matter how good the new M3 is, it's not going to be better than this". I hope I'm wrong since I'm likely getting one in a few years.

#4 · (Edited)
There are faster cars, prettier cars, better handling cars, more comfortable cars, and certainly more luxurious cars but in terms of my needs and desires, my M3 is perfect....When called to action - the car goes about its work with grace - exhorting me to be a better driver - performance is accomplished via a feeling of connectivity. The car feels alive - I feel alive. My M3 has the power to put a smile on my face. I too hope that the new M3/4 will advance the state of the art, but irrespective of the future new car's enhanced performance, the current M will stand as a pure expression of BMW prowess.

I change cars frequently, but recently I exercised my option on my GEICO policy to extend my warranty of my M3 to 100K miles. Although new is usually equated with being better, I suspect, in a few years, I might still be learning new tricks with my old fella, sporting a giant grin from ear to ear. :D

#5 ·
Yo mind sharing how much Geico charge for the ext warranty? BMW wants $6880 for the 7 years 100K miles coverage.

#6 · (Edited)
Yo mind sharing how much Geico charge for the ext warranty? BMW wants $6880 for the 7 years 100K miles coverage.
General info copied from my policy:

"Mechanical Breakdown Insurance

Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI) is an insurance coverage that pays for repairs to your vehicle (excluding routine maintenance and normal wear and tear).

GEICO***8217;s MBI coverage:
  • Covers repairs to all mechanical parts like your engine, cooling and electrical, transmission, brakes, and air conditioning.
  • Saves you money by charging only a small premium each policy period, instead of a large lump-sum payment up front.
  • Allows you to have your car repaired wherever you like. With a dealer warranty, you are often required to use their location, even if you are unhappy with the service.
MBI is only available for new or leased vehicles that are less than 15 months old and have less than 15,000 miles. This coverage also carries a $250 deductible*."

Bumper to bumper coverage - effective coverage - 7 years/100,000 miles commencing from purchase date of car.

Cost varies - my cost $78 a year.
Obvious catch - you have to initiate coverage while your car is still under the BMW warranty - still not a bad hedge if you think you might keep your M beyond four years - BMW's very expensive extended warranty is definitely an eye popper and a deterrent to keeping the car. GEICO is counting on me getting bored and trading the car - which is what I have always done in the past - but maybe not this time.....

#3 ·
2012 M3 - One Year+ Ownership Experience

Maintenance

1200 miles - initial BMW service - no problems - no charge
12K miles - one quart of oil
15K miles - BMW service - no problems - no charge
15K Miles switched out Conti SportContact3s for Michelin Pilot SportPS2s
BTW Passport BMW - matched Tirerack's published on line price and mounted
my new Michelins for free - nice frequent flyer perk

16K+ miles with my M3 - experience...

........ S U B L I M E

After 13+ months and 16K+ miles, my appreciation of my M3 only grows in intensity. I have owned many nice cars but without a doubt - irrespective of price - no car has provided such satisfaction and keen delight. My M3 represents the perfect nexus of dynamic capability, purposeful aesthetics, and accommodating functionality. I savor the experience of pushing the start button - blipping the gas - vrrooom - and being transported by the guttural rhapsody of M Song to that sublime place where perception, road and machine become one - to live in the exhilaration of the M moment.

M3s are cool.
Ditto

#7 ·
there is nothing in the world like the e9x M3. i have only 8,000 miles on mine since i got it memorial day weekend 2012. i already lament having to give it up at one point in the distant future. its 8/10 or better in everything that a car has to be, dynamics, luxury, speed, comfort, etc etc. a dream come true this car is.

BMW MPE next

#11 ·
Capobranco, your post provides me with further confidence in my recent choice. I just ordered an M3 coupe yesterday. Like yours, it will be Silverstone w/ black except that I went with the carbon fiber roof. Estimated time for delivery is mid to late May. Both color and transmission type were the toughest choices. For now, I am going with DCT but I can easily make a case for a MT.

#13 ·
drone is a huge issue for me too, i really need to sit in someone's MPE equipped M3 to truly decide. sitting in the middle of a bass speaker at a certain RPM is not my idea of a pleasurable experience. and certainly drone is very very subjective.

2900 is the currentl lowest offer i have seen

#16 · (Edited)
Wow, quite a compliment to a car I didn't buy.

#17 · (Edited)
Porsche Turbo....hmmm....nice car - been there done that - I have very fond memories of the brand and PCA, but I do not want to go down that road again.

I always thought of Porsches as being less compromised, more focused, sportier machines - having the advantage of being genetically endowed from conception as sports cars. BMW Ms - being modified sedans - often suffer in comparison. However, when I was testing back to back a new 997 PDK vs M3 DCT, I found the M3 to be not only the superior less compromised daily driver, but also the more satisfying sports car.

Different strokes for different folks....

#18 ·
I miss mine, and can't wait to get another.

As to my 911: lots of good memories, particularly on track days. But unlike the M3, no urge to get another one; crossed it off my bucket list.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.