BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Replaced My starter, now i have a lot of problems

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  E36MMMGASM 
#1 ·
I replaced the starter on my M3, however everything works perfect except that now if I have the car running I can't operate the blowing fan for my heater or AC.....any suggestions...I'm not sure if I missed match the one of the two small wires, or missed connecting one. If i missed connecting one the starter wouldn't work at all right? Also my battery died which was probably a coincidence but who knows. anyone else have this issue? :dunno:

#2 ·
Check your fuses.

#3 ·
Okay now i have a whole new batch of problems. I'm driving home from work tonight and everything started turning off (headlights, dashlights) and eventually the car just died. So i find out the battery is dead. But the funny thing is this week i replaced my battery, starter, and alternator. My AC still doesn't work, all my fuses are good, and i have no service lights on, on the dash. HELP!

#4 ·
As a guess, I would say it is more likely that your (rebuilt?) alternator is defective than the new battery. You need to spend some time with a VOM to see what's going on with your electrical system.

#5 ·
Definitely signs of a failed alternator. Battery died because alternator stopped charging it while you drove. Battery has enough charge to run the entire car for only like 2-5 minutes. As the voltage drops, the more sensitive electrical equipment dies first, like radio, then headlights, and lastly, spark. The battery is probably OK, but it needs to be charged, and you need a working alternator to run the car. Good luck!

#7 ·
It's possible the alternator itself is fine, but a connection or the voltage regulator has failed. Bottom line is the system stopped charging. Good luck!

#8 ·
Well it was human error :tsk: I took the alternator off and had it tested, it was good. So then i proceeded to remove the Manifold again and check the connections of the starter and i found out i never connected the wire that runs from the alternator to the starter.

So anyways thanks for the help.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.