Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 10-10-2014, 01:37 PM
O.G.

Mein Auto: 2011 MDX, 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerMikeTX View Post
Or it could be a situation where the DA looked at the evidence and decided there was not a criminal case here that warranted prosecution (which is the job DAs do every day), but decided to let a grand jury also evaluate the evidence given the notoriety of the case.
Quite possible. Or perhaps the DA decided it would be political suicide to go after a NASCAR star unless it was a slam dunk case.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderm0n View Post
Quite possible. Or perhaps the DA decided it would be political suicide to go after a NASCAR star unless it was a slam dunk case.

I suppose one can imagine anything.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).
Old 10-10-2014, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
Back when I used to watch a lot of TV it seemed that if the prosecution wasn't positive it could win a case it didn't pursue the issue - at least until (new) evidence made the outcome certain for their case. Or, was that just the way it is on television?
Old 10-10-2014, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
Back when I used to watch a lot of TV it seemed that if the prosecution wasn't positive it could win a case it didn't pursue the issue - at least until (new) evidence made the outcome certain for their case. Or, was that just the way it is on television?

Are you asking if TV cop and lawyer fiction dramas accurately portray real life?

"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).
Old 10-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Are you asking if TV cop and lawyer fiction dramas accurately portray real life?

Are you implying that Perry Mason was not a documentary?

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 10-10-2014, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i
I though you could indict a ham sandwich.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
Quote:

Are you implying that real life is different than fiction?

If that is so then the main antagonist in this farce of a thread is in for a jolt of reality.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:30 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA View Post
I though you could indict a ham sandwich.

Apparently you can indict a ham sandwich but not a Stewart sandwich

.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1413005400.087593.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	469289

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 10-11-2014, 12:16 AM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 410K
Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
Are you implying that real life is different than fiction?

If that is so then the main antagonist in this farce of a thread is in for a jolt of reality.
The world according to noego. My observation of this case has exactly nothing to do with observing TV courtroom drama which I avoid like the plague.

My viewing of the real time vid. introduced me to the good Mr. Stewart. I watched it dozens of times and heard the engine rev and saw the fishtailing jump the car made in the direction of a guy standing in his skin and a firesuit on the track. It struck me as cowardly and unacceptable in the extreme.

I heard all of the excuses, the dodging - how do we know that was his engine gunning; Ward was wearing a black suit; it was dark; he ran right in front of him - and on and on. Then we hear that it was contact with Ward's body that made the car veer upfield, or so the Stewart apologists would have us believe.

I researched Stewart's history and saw video of the numerous instances of him confronting, on foot, rivals in their cars while on the track. I watched numerous press conferences where he lavished contempt on reporters, reporters who were there to publicize him and his sport.

Yes, I do think he's an ass. Is that some reason that he's innocent? That some nobody on the other side of web doesn't like the guy, therefore Stewart gets a pass?

Yes Ward was an idiot. But w/o Stewart's gunning of the engine and cutting of his wheel at precisely the right moment to send his car at him, Ward, the guy who was waving his arms, presumably about to shout mean words at Mr. Stewart, I seriously doubt anyone would have gotten hurt that night. People talk about #45 swerving to miss Ward, if you look real close, you can almost see him move, it's way tiny at any rate. Contrast that with Stewart's obvious fishtailing which the same people cannot see for some reason. Could be the lodging of the nose, not sure. My directions to FIA on how to see what I'm talking about in the slo-mo (I'm just sure he looked at it, a man devoted to intellectual curiosity doncha know) which can enable anyone who wants to see Stewart's car fishtail and veer up-track before striking Ward, are available to you as well. It's so obvious. I'm a little astounded that some people here are so smug about being wrong.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=#post8635541

A young guy with a bright future and a bit of a hot head, much like Stewart, was killed in this episode, and begging you pardon sport, I don't consider looking at it, and trying to suss out the truth of the matter to be a farce, but you go with what makes you happy.

Last edited by cmac2012; 10-11-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:42 AM
Renaissance Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorns View Post
Perhaps the DA has grown weary of protecting stupid people.
If so he should find new work. Ward's brand of stupidity is reportedly common in dirt track racing. My reading indicates that it works to create buzz among fans, sort of like wrestlers taunting rivals. It was not stupidity egregious enough to warrant having a car aimed at him. If Stewart had stayed on the same path he'd been on, that is behind #45, very, very unlikely he would have hit Ward. If it had been an accidental strike, would have been obvious, and none of this drama would have taken off.

Stewart's famous incident of throwing his helmet at a rivals car who he claimed done him wrong (where have we heard that concept before?) is actually used by some tracks to cultivate buzz and interest. I can't find it now but I've read of areas at NASCAR tracks with a 'toss a helmet at a car' thing set up.

Quote:
As they ran side-by-side for the lead at Bristol, Stewart and Kenseth made contact and both slid into the inside wall.

"I checked-up twice to not run over him (Kenseth) and I learned my lesson there,'' Stewart said afterward. "I'm going to run over him every him every chance I've got from now 'til the end of the year, every chance I've got."

Kenseth drove away but Stewart exited his car. When Kenseth came down pit road, Stewart coiled his body and slung his helmet with both hands, firing a strike to the front of Kenseth's car.

The crowd roared. It was what they came to see.
http://www.si.com/racing/2012/08/27/...helmet-bristol

Last edited by cmac2012; 10-11-2014 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post

At least Tony was smart enough to throw his helmet at the car and not try to run in front of it. I guess that's how you separate the men from the boys. TS didn't become a world wide sensation by smoking dope and driving like a stoner on the track. Standing ovations for appearing at the track are not something many drivers get to experience. Like I say, If you want to play with the big dogs can't piss like a puppy.

This accident was 100% Wards fault and there was nothing Tony could have done about it.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Renaissance Dude

Quote:
At least Tony was smart enough to throw his helmet at the car and not try to run in front of it. I guess that's how you separate the men from the boys. TS didn't become a world wide sensation by smoking dope and driving like a stoner on the track. Standing ovations for appearing at the track are not something many drivers get to experience. Like I say, If you want to play with the big dogs can't piss like a puppy.

This accident was 100% Wards fault and there was nothing Tony could have done about it.
You don't know what you're talking about. Stewart didn't try to avoid it. If you watch the slo-mo carefully it's obvious. #45 missed him easily. Ward was standing on the same spot when Stewart emerged from the same path 45 had been on, gunned his engine, pitched his car sideways, and would have run him over with his rear tire if Ward hadn't grabbed the wing. In the real time vid, you can see Stewart cut his wheels hard to the right and then back to the left, this while Ward is still to his right. I've been told that the front wheels on a sprint car are virtually ineffective but somehow you can see his car respond with agility to the steering input.

I found one quote on the web from another sprint driver who opined that Stewart saw Ward coming at him and gunned his engine to get out of there. Oh golly. Going 35-40 mph and surrounded by a roll cage, he was virtually at Ward's mercy.

Have you even tried to look at the slo-mo to see what happened? Your words here sort of hint that maybe you've got a bit of hero worship going on for the bad boy of stockers. One perhaps ought to avoid that sort of bias if one is interested in understanding with any accuracy.

Last edited by cmac2012; 10-11-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:17 PM
Renaissance Dude

Let me add that this business about the pot is rather strange. Somehow in spite of being supposedly high on pot he was dueling with Stewart for 4th position. He didn't look intoxicated to me when he was running around the track, more like adrenaline fueled . Stupid yes but having some pot in the bloodstream does not exonerate Stewart for using his car like a weapon. Whether he meant to hit him or not.

And God only knows when this info about the pot came out. What, are his parents supposed to go to the indignity of exhuming his body to do an independent test?
Old 10-11-2014, 01:37 PM

yes if they're going to accuse Tony they should dig the kid up and do all the tests that are needed
Old 10-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Renaissance Dude

Quote:
yes if they're going to accuse Tony they should dig the kid up and do all the tests that are needed
Oh boy. I suspect they knew that he was at least an occasional pot smoker, they'll probably go with the report as it stands the challenge the science on what constitutes impairments, which is not at all settled AFAIK.

So in all of the pics where Stewart can be seen acting out his angry tirades, was he high on pot? What was his excuse?

Did you actually watch the slo mo? I continue to be astounded. You can clearly see Stewart's car fishtailing to the right into Ward. This is not your average sort of denial.

In the real-time view, you can see Stewart's front wheel jerk hard to the right and back, this about when he comes even with Ward's disabled car. Can you see that? What would explain that? Why would he steer toward a disabled car?

Last edited by cmac2012; 10-11-2014 at 04:56 PM.