BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

problem with my first bmw need help

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  chansta 
#1 ·
hello everyone this is my first bmw i bough it 10 months ago its a 2004 325ci, ill keep my issue short as possible.
I bought my bmw 10 months ago with an extended warranty from a bmw dealer they told me the car went through a maintenance inspection and that everything was good they told me all the things they changed like the oil and brakes ect... 10 months later the break light of my car came on and was making grinding noises i go in and get it checked out the tech guy tells me i need new rotors and breaks it will cost about 700 dollars, I then told him the sales rep said i got new breaks then the tech tells me the breaks where not changed since 30k miles and i bought the car at 60k and they should of been changed before i bought the car he told me because the rotors have been damaged.

so i sat their arguing with my sales rep how he told me the breaks were new even though the tech says they weren't new, then the sales guy said well when we checked them when you bought the car and it had alot of break left so i argued more and told them they sold me a car with damaged rotors so they said they would fix it a whole sale price $445 i said no im going to talk to the bbb and bmw of north america, so the sales guy and the tech had conflicting stories, i only put 9 thousand miles on the car and i would have changed the break pads if they told me they were bad when i bought it instead they told me they were new instead i was ruining them while driving right off the lot.

do you guys think i have something here this is total bs

See less See more
#3 ·
Usually if the car is a CPO, the dealer will have a check list of what has been changed and what hasn't, if you can locate that document and show them that they weren't saying the truth at the time of purchase and take it to higher management, may be they will hook you up, but I don't think hooking you up more than $475.00 is possible. I would suck it up and do that deal or just outsource it to a mechanic if you can get a better deal. Sorry dude, I don't think there's much you can do. Good luck

#5 ·
This is going to sound harsh, but you bought an 8 year old BMW. Just because it did not cost 60k as it would if it were a new 3 series convertible does not mean that the parts and labor to keep it on the road is cheaper. The price they are giving you for the brake job is not bad at all. Be thankful that all it needs is brakes.
Start reading the wiki and educate yourself for what preventive maintenance you should be doing as well as other common repairs for that car. Then put the top down, go for a drive and have a some fun. I did just that this earlier this morning.

#6 ·
You're from Chicago and you think life is fair??
It's brakes, not breaks. Sounds more upscale when you can spell correctly.
Salespeople are allowed to lie to you by law. There is nothing you can do about it except to take your business elsewhere.
When doing a brake job, always replace all the rotors on an e46. They are only designed to last one set of pads. So it did not cost anything when you damaged the rotors. We all replace the rotors each time.

Can you learn to do your own work?

#7 ·
You're from Chicago and you think life is fair??
It's brakes, not breaks. Sounds more upscale when you can spell correctly.
Salespeople are allowed to lie to you by law. There is nothing you can do about it except to take your business elsewhere.
When doing a brake job, always replace all the rotors on an e46. They are only designed to last one set of pads. So it did not cost anything when you damaged the rotors. We all replace the rotors each time.

Can you learn to do your own work?
are u kidding me? you do realize there are measurement specs you follow to determine whether the rotor needs to be replaced or can be serviced right?

#8 ·
Oh here we go... To replace brake rotors or not. Or should it be break roters?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.