BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

IOS 6 works with Office... again!

31K views 99 replies 49 participants last post by  sunnydude959 
#1 ·
Those of you testing IOS 6 would know that by Revision 2 the email started working between BMW's Office and the iPhone, but you would only get the subject of the message.

Then Rev. 3 came out, and you could read the whole messages, which was great.

Unfortunately, when Rev. 4 came out, all the email messages were gone. Something changed and we lost email messages on iDrive. Bummer.

Well, I'm glad to report that after downloading the IOS 6 Golden Master (final version) all is good again and you can get notifications about new email messages on iDrive, and have your messages (complete messages!) read out loud over the speakers.

Wohooooo! A long awaited dream has come true.

Here are some pics:

See less See more
#40 ·
Update,

Here is what I figured out.

Text messages don't require the banner to be enable but email does.

I got email working by ensuring I was pulling/polling the correct mail folders. I had them set before but when I upgraded to IOS6 the settings reset to just the inbox instead of including all my custom filter folders.

The email comes in but it shows as text messages, not email, so you have to make sure text, or all message formats is selected. Most likely a bug or something on my car needs updating.

For both email and text, the phone display does not have to be locked.

So both text and email are working to some extent.

I think the whole system needs more work. For example, if I get a text, I would like iDrive to autmatically display it for a few seconds. Maybe even chime. Right now a little envelope icon shows up and you may never notice it.

#42 ·
Text no problem, still can't get email. It is set to "push" for my inbox, banner on, show in lock on, etc.

Tried with phone locked and screen off, with on, etc.

no luck.

#43 · (Edited)
I was able to send an email using the phone to myself and it popped up on the screen as a text. :eeps:

You might try unpairing the phone and repairing and trying again.

A $60k+ car and not a stick of documentation. :rolleyes:

I suppose this is part of the charm of owning a BMW. Discovering what the car is suppose to do, figuring out how to do it, and realizing it does not work. :rofl:

#46 ·
For email solution: go to
Settings > Notifications > Mail then change show to 1 or 10 unread items on your iPhone, and it shd work and you have to do every time when you get into car. View attachment 342812
It seems if you make any changes to the email settings once the phone is connected it seems to work ... But is very flakey.

There is clearly a bug and my money is with combox software . Needs a update.

#45 ·
have the same issue get the text but no email, i have the craddle and it will make the sound in the speakers as the same sound you have in the phone., when you get the text the music stops as the same when you get the phone call. and the small sign of text show up in the screen.

#49 ·
have the same issue get the text but no email, i have the craddle and it will make the sound in the speakers as the same sound you have in the phone., when you get the text the music stops as the same when you get the phone call. and the small sign of text show up in the screen.
I get texts via Bluetooth, but when snapped in cradle, BT is deactivated and I lose Office Today and Messages, and only have Contacts.
How is yours working via cradle?

#53 ·
Email Not Working

I am having similar results to others who have reported that email is not working on the iDrive. My Office menu has some new features other than contacts, however, it does not populate emails received while connected, nor does it populate texts not received while connected. I have yet to test texts received while connected, and will advise.

I have latest firmware for the car, and I have iOS 6 in an iPhone 4s from Verizon. I will keep you posted about further testing, and will check with dealer tomorrow.

I am somewhat relieved that the music/album functions appear to remain intact using the new lightning cable, but I prefer the cradle so may wait for that before upgrading to iPhone 5.

Situations like this are a perfect illustration of the need for better communication between tech suppliers like Apple and car manufacturers--apparently such compatibility issues can affect sales on both sides........an interesting world we live in.....

#54 ·
Situations like this are a perfect illustration of the need for better communication between tech suppliers like Apple and car manufacturers--apparently such compatibility issues can affect sales on both sides........an interesting world we live in.....
All do respect but if you look at units sold, BMW is not even a blip on the Apple radar, considering they expect to sell about 50 million Iphone 5 this year. BMW just like everybody else gets it when everyone does... developer edition. For BMW it takes time to upgrade software and get out updates. Give them a chance.

Also, are you saying that if you knew the new iPhone was not going to work you would not have bought a BMW? I understand your frustration, but really? Affect sales? If Apple still had stock there would still be a line at the Apple store... LOL They just changed the connector which screwed EVERY accessory seller and did not even blink.

#56 ·
Miamiboyca, I am not saying I would not buy a BMW but there are people who might make this a specific condition of their choice.

BTW I tested the system extensively this morning and had my wife text me while in the car, and I am receiving neither texts or emails..the only messages are from concierge or the maps. I do get the current office display in office showing three categories of messages, but it is not relaying emails or text messages to the car. Any ideas?

#57 ·
Miamiboyca, I am not saying I would not buy a BMW but there are people who might make this a specific condition of their choice.
I can't imagine anyone who bases a 60k purchase on $500 worth of electronics.:dunno:

Besides the text and email is very new to any brand. I wish you luck and hope you get it working soon.

#62 ·
I am all about the toys,and am even replying from an iPhone 5 but it never even entered my mind not to buy a BMW because my iPhone which can make and receive calls can't display my email.

I get a BMW because its a sweet ride.

#63 ·
i am all about the toys,and am even replying from an iphone 5 but it never even entered my mind not to buy a bmw because my iphone which can make and receive calls can't display my email.

I get a bmw because its a sweet ride.
+1

#64 · (Edited)
I still cant get my email to work, but I did just update the BMW software so maybe it will work after a while. Text messages are working though. I do wish a sound would let you know u have a text or email.....

#66 ·
Griffen 27, any luck with emails?

I updated software but still no emails although texts show up. Emails do show up on my locked iPhone 5 screen as notifications but not in iDrive.

Any suggestions on settings?
Ah, it does not work. I doubt it will work until there is another update to IOS6 and the bluetooth software from BMW.

Until then it won't work. Even now what does work is pretty damn sad.

#67 ·
I get the emails as SMS messages, and only if I set the notification type to 'Alert'.

No other way works for me which is sad.

#68 ·
Do you really want to get emails as your are driving? I get the SMS - but emails? I guess I get so many emails I would just find it to be a huge distraction while driving.

I get that is would be cool - I am just not sure how useful. The texts i get, but email.. don't know. Again just my 2 cents.

#77 ·
TXTs works fine regardless

messages in office works perfect except when Imessage is activated. Any suggestions?
With or without imessage on, SMSs work fine, emails do not for me

#78 ·
I've followed the instructions on this thread and changed up what's shown in pictures 4 and 5, but still get what's shown in pictures 2 and 3... Can't seem to get the functionality to work, even for one ignition cycle. Any thoughts?

Attachments

#79 ·
#80 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

I***8217;ve been able to get text messaging working on iDrive, but no e-mail. Anyone having difficulty should be sure to have ***8220;Show Notifications***8221; turned on and to have ***8220;Office***8221; checked under ***8220;Configure Bluetooth***8221;.

QUESTIONS:

1. How does this affect battery life? Aside from using Bluetooth for telephone calls and ***8220;Transferring Contacts***8221;, does this additional functionally wear the battery more so?

2. Is there a way to reply to incoming messages directly via iDrive instead of having to take your phone out of your pocket?

3. What does checking ***8220;Show Images***8221; do?

4. Any advice on getting e-mail to work?

Attachments

#84 ·
2. Is there a way to reply to incoming messages directly via iDrive instead of having to take your phone out of your pocket?
There is a way to reply w/o taking phone out of your pocket - use Siri to send or reply to a text. Not a direct reply from iDrive, but will allow a text without holding the phone.

#81 ·
There is a bug in IOS6 vs iDrive and emails do not work, unless you go to notifications>email while connected and turn off then on each email notification and then emails work until you turn off the ignition, if I do this with each start then works.
Do u have an iPhone 5?, I do not get "show images" on my iDrive for my iPhone 4S.
Images should be for incoming calls picture ID, I guess.
There is no way you can reply by txt or tel call from a SMS.

#82 ·
Ok, found "show images" and does not work

#85 ·
Txt now working on BMW office with iOS 6 iPhone

Please refer to the following link on the forum:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/news/646784/ios-6-brings-text-to-speech-to-your-bmw's-idrive-display/

Interestingly enough, Txt messaging on AT&T iPhone now works after using the described set up. It works when phone is in or out of cradle, locked or unlocked.

Also interesting is that my email mailboxes show up but email remains broken.

The phone is running iOS 6 on a 4S and the BMW software has also been upgraded to the latest version on my '12 F02.

I also unpaired my phone in the BMW and on iPhone and then re paired everything to have a fresh install.

Hope this info helps!

Maybe Apple will fix iOS 6 to also work with email soon.

#86 ·
I have a 2012 535 07/2012 production, and i have tried everything mentioned here to connect my 4s (5.1.1) but nothing seems to work

Here are my details :

- MX-003.004.031
- have not run the latest update mentioned here but that was meant for IOS 6 but since I am running IOS 5 not sure if its going to make a difference
- i paired and re-paired the phone several time but nothing
- i also enabled 'Office' under 'Configure BT' in the idrive system
- i do not have an option for "notifications" on iphone under bluetooth>MY Car (blue arrow)
- Notifications are 'On' for Messages and Email as Alerts, Show Preview = ON, View in Lock Screen = ON, Badge App Icon = ON

What the heck is going on ??

#87 ·
Aman27, BMW office (SMS, Emails) only works with IOS6, if you have IOS5, you have to upgrade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.