BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

HELP !!! 03 745Li won't start

77K views 163 replies 45 participants last post by  Jackjones 
#1 ·
my 745Li all the sudden won't start, :cry: it was trying to crank, but then it got weaker and weaker, and after a few more try on press the start button, it totally gone dead now. I though the issue may be the battery and have AAA come and charge the battery directly at the trunk but no luck :thumbdwn:. Any other suggestion on troubleshoot before I point the problem to the starter ? My car do have problem with oil leak, not sure if the oil got to the starter !!! : (

#2 ·
Jump it using jumper cables hooked up to the posts in the engine compartment -- the negative post is on the passenger shock tower and the positive is a few inches toward the engine from there.

#7 ·
how it can be starter if it crank? It can be 2 problems fuel of electronic, start with checking fuel first its easier and cheaper,to check the fuel pump lay down under the car close to fuel tank and ask someone to push start without brake pedal then with it if you hear noise from fuel tank then your pump is working if not check fuse first, ask Keif if this car has one for pump, he knows, if not the pump try to check for any error code

#10 ·
Hi Guys:

Fuel pressure may be the problem too. Many suggest change the fuel pump. My car had trouble starting too and would idle rough. I changed my camshaft sensors and crank sensor, fuel filter, and eccentric sensor only to find out it was a fuel rail pressure problem. In your case, it could be a loose injector connection to the fuel rail. The retainer clips may not have the injector fully secured in place. The o-rings get worn or damaged, especially if the fuel rail and injectors have been removed recently. Removing the fuel rail unseating the o-rings to inspect will require new o-rings upper & lower to re-seat properly and pressurize properly. If there is failure at the fuel rail on re-installation, misfire codes tend to be multiple cylinder and possible individual cylinder misfire codes. Once you inspect the retainer clips, and replace the o-rings, don't forget to clear the OBD fault codes before re-starting the engine.

Regards,

HPIracer

#13 ·
It is right above the exhaut manifold; however, the axis will be on the starter's way you will need have the right tool to support the axis as you will need to losen it to get the starter out. I end up paying my indy shop to do it and took them 9 hours for the whole job.

#15 ·
Hey everyone, my 02 745 won't start either...tried to get it towed, but couldn't get it into neutral. Waiting for another truck to come get it, now. it cranks but doesn't fire. Question for ngrich: you said it was your starter? My husband thought that it wouldn't crank if it was the starter...he was thinking the fuel pump or bad fuel from costco (I just recently put Costco gas-usually put chevron). Just curious...what what your cost to replace the starter?

#16 ·
I just had same problem also. Mine was fuel pump. After I replaced fuel pump I had to clear a ews error that was preventing my car from starting. Look at my thread call car died to see if you have similar symptoms.

#21 ·
Hi there, well...they tested it and found no codes. Then I got a phone call saying that it didn't have any gas! I had just filled the car up earlier that week, and it still had a half a tank left. He said he put gas in it and it started just fine. when I left the shop, I went straight to the gas station, filled it up and it only took 10 gallons to fill up. I have no idea what the problem was... But it's fine for now. I'm thinking maybe a faulty sensor?? He said if it happens again I can bring it back to him.

#42 ·
List at the Dealer for a new Power Module is $485.82 . The Best online price you will find is $332.30.

I will sell you my Power Module for $75.00 and my Integrated Supply module for $50.00. So $125.00 + shipping however way you want it shipped for actual cost. Items are already packaged and ready to mail. They are both from a 2004 E65 with 86,000 miles. i replaced them trying to fix a low and high voltage code which ended up being the alternator. Both are in working condition and super clean. PM me if you are interested. Thanks.

#25 ·
i think you had previous thread going on about this so not sure if you checked the common problems..
is the engine turning over but not starting even after alt replacement???

any codes??

how is fuel pressure???

are you getting spark??

fuel pump relay if no pressure...bad fuel filter...fuel pressure regulator anything is possible...your mechanic should be able to diagnose why its not starting since he is the one working on it

fuses???

it can be lots of things or just some simple little thing....maybe bad ground connection

your mechanic should start with basics first before you start buying parts and guessing and spending lots of $$$$

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.