BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

replacing front turn signal light bulb with higher waltage - problem?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  BavarianDoc 
#1 ·
I am planning on replacing front orange turning signal light bulb with clear one. I need a 12V/21W 7440 light bulb as factory, and found a Pilot 7440 White Chrome but it's 27W.

Do you guys think it would cause any problems if I put higher waltage - 27W instead of 21W for front turning signal light?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
BavarianDoc said:
Do you guys think it would cause any problems if I put higher waltage - 27W instead of 21W for front turning signal light?
Absent an amber lens, it might cause problems with complying with the law limiting clear lights to headlights and parking (backup) lights, and requiring signals to be amber.

#3 · (Edited)
It is unlikely 6 watts will make a difference on a turn signal bulb. On my 325xi I have gone from 55 to 70 watts on my low beams w/o adverse effects. I think most OEM curcuits have quite a bit of extra capacity built in to their wiring to compensate for increased resistance as the wires wear or age.

I have upgraded hi or low beam wattage on almost all the cars I have owned. After an upgrade I always check the temp of the wires by touch...both at the bulb socket connectors, and at any juncture with a larger part of the curcuit. High resistance causing an overload is most likely to occurr at these points. It has always been my understanding that these wires will heat up long before their fuse is blown. If it is hot to the touch, or even uncomfortably warm, then I rework or rethink the situation. Of course if you blow a fuse you have your answer right there.

Not the best diagnostic, but certainly a practical one.

As noted above, you should first check local and state laws regarding bulb and light colors. IF you have clears, then I am pretty sure that you will need an amber bulb.

Some amber bulbs, show up as silver or clear when not lit, because they have an silver coating on the side visible to the exterior. However, behind that coating is an amber facing that gives off an amber light.

#4 ·
Hey Doc, did you derive your nickname from mine? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.