BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2011 X3 US model fuel economy numbers?

6K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Lotus7 
#1 ·
Is this available yet? Can't find official numbers anywhere.

#7 ·
I looked at a 2011 x3 28i at Kuni BMW today. It had just been dropped off the truck. Window sticker epa=19/25. BMW should offer the x3 with a diesel, I was extremely impressed with my 335d. With proper gearing an X3 35d would be good for 30 or so combined mpg...20d 35 or so mpg. My best guess.

#11 ·
Yes, totally bizarre the 35i gets better mileage, has to be one of the few times where a non-diesel or hybrid step up model is more efficient. I kept asking the sales guy if it was a mis-print yesterday

I am just wondering if a 35i is capable of being driven to actually obtain that mileage or is the engine so killer you are always going to want to mash it :)

As I mentioned in another thread, after driving both the Q5 2.0T and then the X3 28i, the Q5 feels much better out of the blocks....like no contest, even though the 28i is faster 0-60 on paper.

#13 · (Edited)
Although competitive, 19/25 is disappointing considering that;

the same powertrain (N52 not fuel injected and 8-sp) in the 528i (similar weight) gets an impressive 22/32
the 535i Xdrive gets only 1mpg worse than a 535i
a 276HP AWD 6-sp. Hyundai Santa Fe gets 20/26 - and runs on regular!

Shocking.

#15 ·
I was thinking of buying the 28i to ease the guilt of driving an M3. I'm also disappointed that it gets worse mileage than the 35i, and it's not about the money - it's the "green" thing. My '07 3.0si was plenty quick. There was no reason to gear the new 28i so it's faster. BMWs used to appeal to drivers that admired both the driving experience and the superior efficiency. Are they losing their way?

I'm hoping they bring a diesel very soon, or change the gearing in the 28i so it's more efficient.

#17 · (Edited)
Yeah, the results are similar on the EU-test cycle as well, with the xDrive28i consuming more fuel combined and on the urban cycle, and also emitting a bit more CO².

Diesel X3s are a nice idea, but even on this enthusiast forum, my poll shows that the petrol drivetrains are preferred more than 2:1.

#19 ·
Don't make generalisations based on your urban areas. Most parts of VA and NC face unemployment rates 11-12%, up to nearly 20% in some parts of the state. Frugality is still the order of the day here.

Heck, I'm still looking for a job.

#21 ·
For the unfortunate 10 to 12% of the US population who are without jobs, the $4300 difference between a 28i and a 35i is probably a non issue. If you don't have a job it's extremely unlikely that you will be considering either. Likewise, even with gasoline heading well North of $3.00 per gal. and Diesel fuel even higher, unless you drive significantly more then the US average (which is still around 15K miles/year) the savings of running a Diesel does not offset the higher initial cost until you've had the vehicle 5 or 6 years. Although, it's not as bad as the current situation with true hybrids, some of which never reach a financial "break-even" unless they are held for 15 or 20 years, even with hefty government subsidies.

For the 88% of the US population (who are still working), the 28i vs. 35i choice probably has more to do with wanting or not wanting the many added equipment features that are included with the 35i and the preference for the added power of the turbo engine. As expensive as fuel is, when you consider the initial cost of a new vehicle, depreciation, insurance and maintenance, minor fuel consumption differences are not of major significance.

As oil resources dwindle and all fuel becomes more costly, Diesels will become a viable choice in the USA, but today they still are not being asked for by the typical American new car buyer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.