BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How to update Idrive Software in E66

45K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  whytry 
#1 ·
I have a pre Facelift E66 with a couple of questions.

How do I know if my iDrive software is updated?

Is updating the software something I can do on my own or will I have to take it to an INDY to get it done?

#4 · (Edited)
I think only the Dealer or INDY can do it, if you're wanting to get the latest and greatest that is.

Oh and you can find out the version you have by looking in the iDrive, I know there is a thread on here that shows how to do it (too lazy to look for myself lol) and I'm notwhere close to my care at the moment. I think it's under the settings menu in the iDrive

#5 · (Edited)
This may be a silly question but what exactly does updating the software do? Is it just a cosmetic change as far as how options are displayed on the Idrive screen or does it change how your car drives or performs?

I have a pre-facelift too and the idrive "theme" from 2002 is getting boring to me, Ive been looking at the same one for 4 years. And how much do dealers normally charge for this?

#6 ·
This may be a silly question but what exactly does updating the software do? Is it just a cosmetic change as far as how options are displayed on the Idrive screen or does it change how your car drives or performs?

I have a pre-facelift too and the idrive "theme" from 2002 is getting boring to me, Ive been looking at the same one for 4 years. And how much do dealers normally charge for this?
Good question. I didn't know anything about it until I was told that an outdated idrive can be the reason my Bluetooth Adapter is not working correctly.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

#7 ·
To Check Current Software Version

Guys,
To check current Software Version, follow these steps.

1. In Basic Menu display (N,S,E,W), press down the iDrive Controller for 6 seconds.
Hint: The help text flashes briefly when it is ready.
2. Turn Controller 3 increments clockwise. (Increment means click)
3. Turn Controller 3 increments counter clockwise.
4. Turn Controller 1 increment clockwise.
5. Turn Controller 1 increment counter clockwise.
6. Turn Controller 1 increment clockwise.
7. Press Controller to confirm.
8. Enter "MOST Devices" menu.
9. You will see a sub-menu (Item number, Hardware number, Coding index, Diagnosis index, Variant index, Date of manufacture, Name of manufacture, Message- catalog version, the finally SOFTWARE VERSION).................

As of today, this is what my iDrive unit reported;
ASK: 7.6.6 hex
KOMBI: 6.11.16 hex
FOND MMI: 6.87.0 hex
MMI: 6.87.0 hex
CD CHANGER: 6.4.4 hex
AMFM TUNER: 6.9.4 hex
AMPLIFIER: 8.6.0 hex
SPEECH REC: 7.9.0 hex
TV TUNER: 6.9.26 hex
MM CHANGER: 6.4.0 hex

Keep in mind that I have the rear entertainment option and some of the items on above list might not be available.

Also, i'm not sure if I have the most current software version but if you all take time to check out yours and post 'em here we can compare.

Hope this helps.

#8 ·
Guys,
To check current Software Version, follow these steps.

1. In Basic Menu display (N,S,E,W), press down the iDrive Controller for 6 seconds.
Hint: The help text flashes briefly when it is ready.
2. Turn Controller 3 increments clockwise. (Increment means click)
3. Turn Controller 3 increments counter clockwise.
4. Turn Controller 1 increment clockwise.
5. Turn Controller 1 increment counter clockwise.
6. Turn Controller 1 increment clockwise.
7. Press Controller to confirm.
8. Enter "MOST Devices" menu.
9. You will see a sub-menu (Item number, Hardware number, Coding index, Diagnosis index, Variant index, Date of manufacture, Name of manufacture, Message- catalog version, the finally SOFTWARE VERSION).................

ASK: 7.6.6 hex
FOND MMI: 6.87.0 hex
AMPLIFIER: 8.6.0 hex
SPEECH REC: 7.9.0 hex
TV TUNER: 6.9.26 hex

Keep in mind that I have the rear entertainment option and some of the items on above list might not be available.

Also, i'm not sure if I have the most current software version but if you all take time to check out yours and post 'em here we can compare.

Hope this helps.
Great Idea. Here is what mine is showing.

ASK: 7.6.5 hex
AMPLIFIER: 7.5.0 hex
SPEECH REC: 7.5.0 hex
TELEFON *6.4.D hex*
NAVIGATION *8.4.4 hex*

#13 ·
BTW thanks for this, mine was almost a decade out of date. I will post the updated versions tomorrow.

#17 ·
I've had all of the software updated. Some versions were really behind. Seems to now shift smoother, accelerate smoother, and shifting from p r d back p the thump is gone. And when starting car in cold from p to r that thump is gone. This is day 2 could be just a fluke though.

#19 ·
anybody done this themselves? I know its an older thread but wanted to see if anybody has done it or what is the reason to do it.. I know one of the members said its acts a little different but to me thats not reason to take it to the dealership. I had it scanned at a BMW shop and they said my computer needs to be updated to the latest versions and it could fix some of the smaller issues Im having, but Ive since found out it could be due to my battery being replaced before I got the car and wasnt coded to the car...

N they wanted like $500 to update the computer.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.