BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

On the Turandot

28K views 300 replies 20 participants last post by  dmurray14 
#1 ·
Just got booked on the Turandot, leaving Bremerhaven tomorrow. Anyone else on it?

#2 ·
Yep. I am on it too. Hoping for an on time arrival 11/1 ;-)

#3 · (Edited)
Yes!!! Just checked, I'm booked on it too. (I was actually going to start the thread but you beat me to it lol, yeah we're despearte) Dropped off in Paris on the 1st.

One interesting fact on the WW Tracking website:
I checked last night and nothing came up however when I look at it this morning, it says that the booking was made on the 12th and the car was accepted at the terminal today...So it sounds like the tracking system starts getting updates once they receive the car @ the terminal, not when the booking is made.

Slyfox51 was dropping off a 328 at the same time, so his car should be on it too...as well as MonkeyC's
Happy travels to our cars.

Expected in Brunswick on the 5th. oh well, now change the daily ritual from checking WW's site to checking marinetraffic.com and sailwx :)

#5 ·
Yes!!! Just checked, I'm booked on it too. (I was actually going to start the thread but you beat me to it lol, yeah we're despearte) Dropped off in Paris on the 1st.

One interesting fact on the WW Tracking website:
I checked last night and nothing came up however when I look at it this morning, it says that the booking was made on the 12th and the car was accepted at the terminal today...So it sounds like the tracking system starts getting updates once they receive the car @ the terminal, not when the booking is made.

There was another guy dropping off a 328 at the same time, so his car should be on it too...as well as MonkeyC's
Happy travels to our cars.

Expected in Brunswick on the 5th. oh well, now change the daily ritual from checking WW's site to checking marinetraffic.com and sailwx :)
Cool! I dropped off in Paris too, on the 5th. Didn't see any other BMWs out front, so I assume they either moved yours or it had already made the first truck to Bremerhaven.

I dropped off in Munich on 9/29 and am on the TURANDOT as well. I was given a destination date of 11/5. Im hopeful that I will have my baby before Thanksgiving depending on Customs and VPC.
What qualifies as "destination?" The WW site shows the Turandot hitting the NYC port on 11/1, so that would be pretty impressive if the dealer expected to have your car by the 5th!

#4 ·
I dropped off in Munich on 9/29 and am on the TURANDOT as well. I was given a destination date of 11/5. Im hopeful that I will have my baby before Thanksgiving depending on Customs and VPC.

#6 ·
I am on the Turandot as well, after a dropoff in Munich on the 27th of September. I was loaded on the ship on the 16th at 2200 hours. Expected arrival in Georgia on November 5th. A long wait. Hopefully I will have it before Thanksgiving.

#7 ·
What qualifies as "destination?" The WW site shows the Turandot hitting the NYC port on 11/1, so that would be pretty impressive if the dealer expected to have your car by the 5th![/QUOTE]

This is my first ED, but it was my understanding that the destination was the Port, not the dealership (as the car has to clear customs and then go through VPC).

I think the ship makes multiple stops along the coast (but I could be wrong). If some people got a destination date of 11/1 for New York, 11/5 may be a destination drop off further south down the coast. I am in Charlotte, NC so that would seem to jive.

If anyone else has experience to back me up (or prove me wrong), it would be great to hear from you :)

#9 ·
What qualifies as "destination?" The WW site shows the Turandot hitting the NYC port on 11/1, so that would be pretty impressive if the dealer expected to have your car by the 5th!
This is my first ED, but it was my understanding that the destination was the Port, not the dealership (as the car has to clear customs and then go through VPC).

I think the ship makes multiple stops along the coast (but I could be wrong). If some people got a destination date of 11/1 for New York, 11/5 may be a destination drop off further south down the coast. I am in Charlotte, NC so that would seem to jive.

If anyone else has experience to back me up (or prove me wrong), it would be great to hear from you :)[/QUOTE]

Ah, that makes sense - I misunderstood. The Turandot does indeed hit the port at Brunswick, GA on the 5th!

#15 ·
I dropped off at BLG in Hamburg on October 5th. They are very responsive to emails and I received complete info on my status; shipping line (WWL), vessel (Turandot), bill of lading #. I immediately checked On Wallenius & Wilhelmsen site and received full confirmation. I hope the ship arrives as scheculed in NY on 11/1. My dealer is near Boston, so hopefully will have car in under two weeks after ship arrives. Unfortunately my driver side mirror glass was stolen from a secure hotel lot in Riga Latvia. Now the car has a european style wide angle mirror which will have to be replaced, probably at the Processing Center, so that may add a few days.

#16 · (Edited)
I'm literally in the same boat with you guys! :)

I did a 05/10/12 drop off at MUC airport. Glad to hear the ship left on time.

A coworker told me that his father did an Audi ED years ago - where the ship sank! Yikes.

Reading about the "free surface effect" was interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Herald_of_Free_Enterprise

Luckily today's RORO's are better designed.

But still praying for no Atlantic storms this month...

#17 ·
Getting a little nervous about Hurricane Sandy, which has the possibility of hitting us here in NJ as late as Wednesday. Unfortunately, the other tracks put it farther up the east coast, presumably where our ship will be headed down from Halifax. Not good!

In the mean time, here's a cool video I found of WW's RORO ships:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLbTegvRg0U&feature=related

#21 ·
Hopefully, but there is some uncertainty. It is due into Halifax on the 30th, then into NY on the 1st.

Sandy is supposed to make landfall around the 31st, and head north. There's pretty much no way the Turandot won't be headed into it at some point. Hopefully just the tail end.

#24 ·
I would rather have mine totalled like the cars in the video than just damaged and repaired. If that happens, we will just have to move this thread to the "BMW had to build me a new one".

#27 ·
I haven't seen any recent updates but I started worrying more about my house than my new car once I started seeing the updated storm tracks. I live near Philly and we look to be right in the path of the eye :cry:

I checked the tracking sites quickly and only saw this update from the other day:

The ship TURANDOT announced HALIFAX CANADA as its next destination via AIS.
The estimated time of arrival is 2012-10-30 07:00 UTC. This information was last updated on 2012-10-27 17:51 UTC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.