BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

The "ZHP" Wagon is ON!!!!

81K views 173 replies 49 participants last post by  reese001 
#1 · (Edited)
I found the donor today, a 12/2004 build ZHP with 72k miles. Bashed front end. everything rear of the accessories on the motor is in good shape or better. Car starts and runs; interior is lovely, it's just the front end that's ugly as hell...

I will be putting the following items into the wagon:
M54B30
6MT
Driveshaft
Brakes (F & R)
Steering rack (if truly undamaged)
Front Control Arms (if truly undamaged)
Rear trailing arms (with new bushings)
Steering wheel
HK Stereo
Alcantara shift and parking brake boots
Dashboard and Door trim
ECU, EWS, Cluster, keys

Any other suggestions?

Everything else will be either scrapped or sold on eBay/craigslist...

See less See more
#122 ·
Motor is back in my garage. Not as pretty as when it came out of the factory, but the alignment of the A/C condenser and tensioner pulley is perfect! :) :D

#125 ·
Welded the divot back in the block? Pitchers!

As long as you don't consider the cost of my labor, that is, cuz that's free :rolleyes:
Are you keeping track of the "free" labor? Or are you booking this in the "pleasure" column? :D

#123 ·
:bow: I want...

Are you keeping a parts list for us touring owners who are thinking 'I have a dream'....

Good luck dropping in the motor and the 6 speed. Also, where did you get the donor (and if you don't mind me asking, how much was it?).

Just wishful thinkin' here....

Keep up the good work!

J

#124 ·
Are you keeping a parts list for us touring owners who are thinking 'I have a dream'....
Alas, I am not, as there is a lot of "while you're in there" stuff that I'm tackling, too - oil pan baffle & lock-tite'd oil pump nut, headers, valve cover gasket, etc. I could probably put one together, though I'm not sure I have the patience and organizational skill for it.

Good luck dropping in the motor and the 6 speed. Also, where did you get the donor (and if you don't mind me asking, how much was it?).
Got the car from copart.com. It was dirt cheap...once I sell off everything I will be cash positive on the deal. As long as you don't consider the cost of my labor, that is, cuz that's free :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work!
Thanks! :thumbup:

#131 ·

Sounds like you're making good progress :thumbup:

Yelar did a great job on the photo of your car parts. You wouldn't believe how much time he's spent on them!
We are and I would believe it. He's awesome and deserves beer! :drink::beerchug:

Nice! Maybe not Concours d'Elegance, but who's ever going to look down there besides you?
Seriously. Once the AC compressor is on and the motor is in the car, no one will see it

#130 · (Edited)
#134 ·
that is cool!!!!!
people R still bitchin about my ZHP el ca bimmer
I put over 40000 miles on her since build lovin every mile
the ultimate drivin ute
What does it take to make it road legal or did you not do anything?

#137 ·
So I've been a little distracted by shiny objects and such...progress is really slow. I *HOPE* to have the motor and trans in the car over the next 3 weekends, we'll see how that goes.

Shiny object, you ask? Why, my new (to me) SpecE30 race car! :roundel: :drive:

...and such. HPDE instructing at Texas World Speedway.

I can't wait to get more powah!!!! But then I fear that the lack of limited slip will just be even more pronounced. :mad:

#139 ·
Hi guys, new here; quick question that I didn't see in the thread, and if this is a dumb question, please explain why:
Why drop in the ZHP motor vs an M3 motor?
ZHP is easier to install than M3?
Availability and price of ZHP donor vs M3?
Info I found says the ZHP engine puts out about 230hp, but the M3 is about 300, and someone made a comment that you would be eating M3s; am I missing something from the numbers?

I have a 2004 325i Wagon and would love to drop an M3 engine in or supercharge someday, so any real info you can provide would be appreciated.

#140 ·
I'll go out on a limb here...

Why ZHP vs M3? Your other questions kind of summarize it: 1. Easier to install, 2. Availability and price over M3 donor. All of the above, probably more the last two things than the first.

As far as "eating M3s" it's because unless we're talking straight up drag race, a skilled driver in an unsuspecting yet adequately powered wagon can beat the average person in an M3 on the track.

#141 ·
A ZHP motor produces 235hp and the M3 produces ~330hp. Installing an S54 motor in anything that didn't come with it is a wiring nightmare, the complexity of the build would be 10 fold over dropping in the ZHP M54 motor.

I've seen it done, on E46s, E36s, E30s, etc etc, but they are almost always backed by a professional shop and they take ages to complete. Just google MITE46 and look what he went through to accomplish it. I dare say he was the pioneer of the swap, doing it when the cars were still new. I'm not sure if anyone did it before him.

I don't know where to find it quickly, but there is an extremely detailed E46 M3 sedan build floating around out there that will also give you a good idea of the scope of an S54 swap.

I'm sure ffej might tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm pretty sure swapping in the ZHP 3.0 motor is essentially "plug and play," allowing you to drop the motor in and home and use the factory wiring already in the wagon. I'm not sure if he'll have to have the car reprogrammed to tell it it has a different heart.

I would guess an S54 swap couldn't be done for less than $10k, not including all the other things you would want to upgrade to compliment your fancy new motor (brakes, suspension, etc). At that price point, an LS1 swap is also a realistic option. I've ridden in LS1 E36s, as much as I love a BMW powerplant, if I was considering dropping 10k and a year or two's effort into a motorswap, I'd probably go for the one that could produce almost double the power with a few bolt ons.

So why ZHP vs M3? is like asking why fly commercial when you could go private. Entirely different ballparks.

Also, FFEJ!! UPDATES!!

#143 · (Edited)
LOL! Close. Dealing with a friend's car, kids home from the summer and a new job.

My gut is telling me the wagon will be put together by the end of July.

I'm sure ffej might tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm pretty sure swapping in the ZHP 3.0 motor is essentially "plug and play," allowing you to drop the motor in and home and use the factory wiring already in the wagon. I'm not sure if he'll have to have the car reprogrammed to tell it it has a different heart.

I would guess an S54 swap couldn't be done for less than $10k, not including all the other things you would want to upgrade to compliment your fancy new motor (brakes, suspension, etc). At that price point, an LS1 swap is also a realistic option. I've ridden in LS1 E36s, as much as I love a BMW powerplant, if I was considering dropping 10k and a year or two's effort into a motorswap, I'd probably go for the one that could produce almost double the power with a few bolt ons.
No, you're right. I've spoken with enough people and learned that the S54 swap, done right, is a lot of work. And when it's done improperly, it's fraught with peril. For the car that's my DD, I'd rather have something that is simpler, rather than more complex. If it were purely a project/toy, I'd be looking at a full M3 drivetrain swap, but the electronics involved are beyond my mastery. I am considering a custom tune, based on dyno time. I think it would be fun to get the motor really dialed in. It'll probably add another $1000 to the job I'm doing, but see below.

Plus, with the 3.0 swap, I'll pretty much break even except for the time involved. LS3. That's what I would do. Or an LSA if I had more money than brains.

#150 ·
Subscribed for ideas - and because your swap tempts me. :)

Of course should you go V8, you could always sell me t,
He 3 liter and 6 speed......

Good to see you here!

Jon

#154 ·
In typical ffej fashion, this has been delayed by another month. Have to finish another car in my garage and get some work done on the race car before I dismantle the front of the wagon. I'm shooting for a late August/early September finish at this point...

#156 ·
I am > < this close to getting the motor swap done. Waiting on one small item to show up...a Diffsonline 3.64 LSD :supdude: :freakdanc

Looks like Labor Day weekend will be the work weekend for the full swap:
Motor - with headers
Trans - including shifter and carrier
Driveshaft
Diff
Exhaust

I've found that I'm going to have to swap the valve covers, since the plug/pin setup for the ignition coils out of the DME is different between the two motors, so that will be yet another unexpected part of the job. I'm getting good at finding additional things that I'll have to do...

I will also shark the motor, just to get a more accurate tune going on. Going to be fun :) :drive:

#163 ·
Something significant has come up and pretty much eaten my time. Planning for a HUGE event coming up, plus I need to get my race car finished. I have the parts...just need the time. Anyone wanna come help me for a weekend? :D

hey i am interested in your e 46 rear bumper and your exhaust please get back to me asap my number is 18186814455 im in glendale ca
Bumper is long gone and the exhaust from the ZHP is going on the wagon when I get to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.