BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Z3 to 318i motor swap

4K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  SLIPp0wErHoUSee 
#1 ·
I'm sure this has been asked before I tried to find it but had no luck so here it goes.....

Will a motor from 97 Z3 work in a 93 318i? Are all the 4 cyclinders the same aside from the electronics. The reason I'm asking is my M42 is getting up there in mileage and I'm planning ahead. I found a couple motors in a wreaking yard with lower miles on them than mine. One of them is in a 97 Z3 and the other is in a 98 318. The Z3 motor has less miles on it, both have a little over 100k. I can get ether one for about $800 with everything on it. The compression I'm told on the motor in the 318 is around 230 on all 4. Is that good?
:rofl:

#3 ·
Both of those engines are M44B19s, in addition to 0.1 liters more displacement they are also OBDII so you would probably have to swap over most of the wiring and ECU as well, you could also convert the M44 to OBDI by removing a lot of the sensors (I'm not sure how it all works). For $800 is a lot of money to drop on an 18 year old 318, I would say either swap for a M50B25 engine, or just get a newer 318.

On a side note, go back to the junk yard, pull the steering rack out of the Z3, and send it to me. (I'm dead serious, if it's a good price I would reimburse you and pay shipping, if you want to put a mark up on it that's also cool so long as it's still a good deal)

#6 ·
Both of those engines are M44B19s, in addition to 0.1 liters more displacement they are also OBDII so you would probably have to swap over most of the wiring and ECU as well, you could also convert the M44 to OBDI by removing a lot of the sensors (I'm not sure how it all works). For $800 is a lot of money to drop on an 18 year old 318, I would say either swap for a M50B25 engine, or just get a newer 318.

On a side note, go back to the junk yard, pull the steering rack out of the Z3, and send it to me. (I'm dead serious, if it's a good price I would reimburse you and pay shipping, if you want to put a mark up on it that's also cool so long as it's still a good deal)
You think it would be easier to drop a 6 in instead of the m44. I will check on that steering rack...

#4 ·
It is running very well as a matter of fact I am pleasantly supprised on how well the 4 cyclinder runs, it's pretty fast for a 4 cyclinder. I was just planning ahead I wanted to get one now and start getting it ready to put in when this one sees it's final bang...

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks man, I'll check that yard out.

I didn't mean easier, I just meant that if you're going to go through the royal PITA that is an engine swap, you might as well get a decent power gain out of it, and having a 318 badge on the back and a 2.5 liter straight six under the bonnet just makes for epic wins every time you drive.

#10 · (Edited)
to change an M44 to an M42 you need.... to swap the intake manifold, and i believe the exhaust manifold
Thats it... the heads and blocks are virtually the same

step one
remove old engine
step two
remove OBD1 parts (manifolds, with sensors attached)
step three
Beer
step four
Swap OBD1 parts onto new low mileage M44 engine
step five
Install new engine

!NOTE!
step three can be inserted as many times as necessary

#11 ·
to change an M44 to an M42 you need.... to swap the intake manifold, and i believe the exhaust manifold
Thats it... the heads and blocks are virtually the same

step one
remove old engine
step two
remove OBD1 parts (manifolds, with sensors attached)
step three
Beer
step four
Swap OBD1 parts onto new low mileage M44 engine
step five
Install new engine

!NOTE!
step three can be inserted as many times as necessary
When all done a shot of Tequlia!!!!

A 6 cylinder upgrade would be fun.....Thanks for all your input!!!!!:D

#14 ·
just hit 205,000. It's running fine so no plans to swap yet, but motor's go fast and are not always avaliable so I was just thinking maybe getting one of the 2 that are at this yard I would but a M50 swap sounds much better maybe not so much for gas maileage but for the price it makes sense to go that route.

#16 ·
6cyl swap go straight for an s50/s52

My 4cyl was all original and had 215k ran perfect, the only reason i pulled it out was because i got tired of having a slow car :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.