BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Fuel Injectors

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Time2Fly 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so I'm thinking about replacing my injectors and was wondering if I could upgrade them. Can you get bigger injectors for a m42? The ones I have in there now have a burnt orange top on them. Can I use injectors from another make/model of car? Will injectors from a 6 work in a 4 cylinder? I have read in some of the other post that injectors out of a mustang have been used in a 6 cyl.?

#4 ·
Yes Karl, you need more air to go with the more fuel, then you need more exhaust flow, and a chip (reprogram) to compensate in the computer for the new parameters.

#5 ·
So for the sake of agreeing, injectors are one of the last things on the list to get upgraded. Along with undedrive pulleys and lightened flywheel.

#6 ·
I understand that putting bigger injectors in would require more air. I was just wondering about what upgrades are available, should have been more specific about my question. Are there improved injectors for the 318 since they first came out?, my 318 is dated 9\92. What does the color of the injectors signify? I have read discussion about different types of injectors and there colors but most of that was for 6 cylinders. I have 213k on my car don't know much about what has been done to it except what I have done and from I've seen while inspecting it. The car as a whole is in really good shape minus a few things bushings, brakes motor has a few miles on it with a very slightly deteriorating head gasket, no rust or cracked rear shock mounts yet. With that I was planning on buying a motor from the local wreaking yard (around $75 on half price days) do a little freshening up to it including replacing the injectors, bearings, rings, maybe a valve job if needed little things like that. While I'm waiting for the currant motor to grow old I will be rebuilding the suspension, struts, brakes (hopefully improve on the stock ones a little). Karl just so you know I'm old school hot rods to, I know what a stroker motor is...lol I don't know if you have been to any car shows in the Seattle area (I assume you have) and have seen a black with candy blue flames Vega wagon that has a B&M Blower in it that sits on top of a V6 called Bits n Pieces...You may have to think back a few years....A good friend of mine owns that, him and I built that and that was a fun project. When I get a chance I will reassemble the only picture I have if it and post.

#9 ·
Karl just so you know I'm old school hot rods to, I know what a stroker motor is...lol I don't know if you have been to any car shows in the Seattle area (I assume you have) and have seen a black with candy blue flames Vega wagon that has a B&M Blower in it that sits on top of a V6 called Bits n Pieces...You may have to think back a few years....A good friend of mine owns that, him and I built that and that was a fun project. When I get a chance I will reassemble the only picture I have if it and post.
I've only been in Seattle for 2.5 years, but yes, I do attend plenty of car shows. I was at the Greenwood Car Show last weekend, and I'll be going SOVREN Historics at Pacific Raceways this weekend (which has a show field, too). Then the NW Muscle Car Meet and NW Nationals (drag racing) happen in the first weekend in August. I haven't seen a blown V6 Vega (that I can recall, anyway), but I'll keep my eye out for it.

#8 ·
Yea it's weird I don't lose much coolant and I don't lose any once it gets up to temp. and stays at full temp. No coolant in the oil no oil in the coolant. Now after driving all day and I let the car sit for a bit and the temp comes down is when it will leak ever so slightly into #3 cylinder if i relieve the pressure from the radiator it doesn't leak at all. The last statement makes sense, I only lose about a cup of coolant a month at the most.....No leaks on the ground ether....If I pull the head and see that the cylinders are in good shape then I will just freshen the motor I have in the car....I think it's easier to get one ready and swap motors gives me a good excuse to replace the clutch and time to get a motor like new again...my wife doesn't understand maintenance so if I pull the motor and say "oh the clutch looks a little warn I should replace it while I have access to it" then she gets it...... :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.