BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Manual to digital HVAC control swap

15K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Time2Fly 
#1 ·
Is it possible to convert a manual AC/heater control to a digital control? If so what do i need to do it?

#2 ·
Yes, it's possible. One of the regulars here did it, but it was one heck of a lot of work.

I frankly don't see the point. You'll be trading a simple system that's not prone to failure other than the resistor, for one that is notorious wonky and complex.

#3 ·
I think Matt and I have both done it.

You need the complete airbox, head unit, final stage unit, and center vent.

I would recommend giving your self a weekend to do it, it can be done between getting home from work and leaving for work the next morning, but I's not fun.

As to why, Ken, it just looks so damn cool! :thumbup:

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer App

#4 ·
Yeah, I guess, but it's a heck of a lot of work. Props for doing it, and doing it in a weekend. I could never do it that quick.

As long as the analog one works and keeps me cool, that's the only cool I need. :D

#6 ·
As someone who's E36 has the digital climate control, I really don't see the point of it. The digital climate control isn't that trouble prone, but it is pretty stupid in general. It turn on every time you start the car, even if you left it turned off when you last shut the car down. And if you don't like using "auto" (as I don't), it's annoying to have to adjust the temp for both sides of the car. It's so much easier with nothing more than some knobs to turn. At any rate, here is a video showing how to replace a heater core, which is more or less the same procedure as swapping climate control styles:

http://youtu.be/82IGc60LtA8

#9 ·
It really isn't. I practiced replacing a dashboard on my wrecked M3 a couple times. It really isn't that hard once you've done it a couple times. Plus a lot of the wires are pre-wound and already taught from being in a certain position for such a long time. All you have to do is loosely push on the wires and you will see what position they were in before you removed the dash.

Once you try it, you'll smack your forehead about why it was so easy. The only pain in the rear is the F'ing passenger airbag.

#10 ·
I have the digital climate control system which is just as ZeGerman stated in the earlier post. I have had a couple incidents where it randomly quit blowing air but upon turning the car on and off it worked and has worked ever since. I guess it looks a little fancier but I would never even consider going through the work of upgrading it from analog unit to the digital unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.