BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Heated Steering Wheel issue

4K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  fordperf 
#1 ·
The heated steering wheel in the cold weather package has to be one of the best comfort features of my 335...when it works, that is. I always forget about this little issue with it until the cold weather comes around, but I have an intermittent problem in which it occasionally fails to come on when you push the button. The light will come on for about 10 seconds and then turn off with no heating occurring.:confused: The only way to fix it is to turn the car off and then on again and then it works fine. It's a minor annoyance and one that the dealer couldn't figure out :dunno: when I last asked about it about 20k miles ago.

Has anyone experienced this and, if so, what was the diagnosis so I can tell the dealer what to look for? I am due for an oil change in about 1500 miles and figure I'll ask about it again then.

#2 ·
I have m sport so no heated steering wheel. Just a guess on my part, but is it possible the heated steering wheel only works below some temperature? Was it warm out when you tired it and maybe got cooler when you attempted the second time?

Related to this could be that it heats to it's set temp quickly and shuts off. If it's not very cold out, it might heat very quickly to it's set temp which might not feel warm to you given the ambient temperatures. The only way to know for sure is to check it when the steering wheel is ice cold.

You said it worked after re-starting the car so maybe I am way off base.

#14 ·
I have m sport so no heated steering wheel. Just a guess on my part, but is it possible the heated steering wheel only works below some temperature? Was it warm out when you tired it and maybe got cooler when you attempted the second time?

Related to this could be that it heats to it's set temp quickly and shuts off. If it's not very cold out, it might heat very quickly to it's set temp which might not feel warm to you given the ambient temperatures. The only way to know for sure is to check it when the steering wheel is ice cold.

You said it worked after re-starting the car so maybe I am way off base.
I've been off the reservation for a day here so a late response. The answer to your question is "no", though that's a logical thought. The first time this happened it was 4F outside while I was driving to work. Needless to say, I was a bit p!ssed because my hands were cold even with gloves on.

Sent from my Droid using BimmerApp

#3 ·
This happened once to me few days ago. We have a 2011 328xi and it felt like the steeting wheel heat started to dissipate after a while but the button stayed on. Worked like a charm all winter last year and we are at 15K miles. Once, the passenger side mirror failed to tilt down when I was in reverse and parallel parking. End result - scratched rear rim! :) These might all be signs of the notorious electrical issues that we are to expect in the future. As with any other great product, BMWs come with quirks so it all depends on what you are willing to live with and without...

#5 ·
I've never had the tilt down fail. It will not work if the mirror is ajar though. Once I brushed by it in the garage, and knocked it slightly in, and the tilt down would not work until it was fixed.

The only problem, of course, is that the window switch is to the left instead of right.

#15 ·
Mine never shuts off once it's on, its only problem is not turning on when it's supposed to sometimes.

Sent from my Droid using BimmerApp

#7 · (Edited)
Where is the indicator light that shows that the heat feature is on?
On the side of the button you push that starts it, facing the driver. It's typically blocked from view by the right side spoke of the wheel. Definitely one of those things that should have a panel light instead.

Also, mine seems to have two heat settings. Push once = warm, twice=warmer, thrice=off. Is this correct?
Don't think so. Mine is "Push On / Push Off", 1 setting only. Never heard of this changing for the 2010 models.

#8 ·
Wow, talk about a flawed design. I figured the face of the mini button lit up.

So, if I wanted to check it while driving, I'd have to stick my head way out to the right and look at the steering column right behind the wheel. Meanwhile, as I'm twisting myself sideways, I could be driving into a ditch.

#10 ·
Had the same problem with mine. My SA told me to wait 10-15 seconds after starting the car before you turn on the switch. Apparently there is too much of an electrical load all at once with heater, heated seats, etc. I followed that advice and have not had a problem since.

#18 ·
I completely agree that it is an amazing comfort to have the heated steeringwheel...

But I too have had the EXACT SAME ISSUE... turn the car on and hit the heated steeringwheel and then 10 seconds later on it turns. This repeats until i turn the car off and re-set....

Thank you for bringing this up. ANyone have a fix?

#20 ·
waiting a minute or so worked today... we'll see tomorow.

#23 ·
I had this issue starting a couple of weeks ago. Seemed like it would work about every 3rd time I started the car. I replaced fuse #75 and it has been reliable since. Fuse tested ok, but guessing it had a slight crack. Less reliable when cold, more reliable after the interior was heated.

#24 ·
I am having this exact same problem on my 2009 335. It just started doing it, and I can't find a pattern. Turning the car completely off and restarting seems to 'fix' it.

Once it stayed heating AFTER I pushed the button off, and the light was off. It got so hot I could barely touch the wheel. I had to pull over, and restart the car. After a minute or so the wheel cooled off enough to drive.

I think something is just wonky with it. My initial guess would be a faulty relay, except it probably uses diodes instead of relays. I am very close to bringing it to the dealer and telling them to replace the whole damn wheel and relay/diodes. The problem is so intermittent I doubt they can reproduce it--and I don't know what level of service they will give me on a problem they can't reproduce?

#26 · (Edited)
The heated steering wheel in the cold weather package has to be one of the best comfort features of my 335...when it works, that is. I always forget about this little issue with it until the cold weather comes around, but I have an intermittent problem in which it occasionally fails to come on when you push the button. The light will come on for about 10 seconds and then turn off with no heating occurring.:confused: The only way to fix it is to turn the car off and then on again and then it works fine. It's a minor annoyance and one that the dealer couldn't figure out :dunno: when I last asked about it about 20k miles ago.

Has anyone experienced this and, if so, what was the diagnosis so I can tell the dealer what to look for? I am due for an oil change in about 1500 miles and figure I'll ask about it again then.
Can't figure it out? Too knotty a problem for them? Just can't seem to put their finger on it?

Tell Dealer to look for: Your written description of the problem and request for warranty repair.

Have them sign a copy of your letter so you can show it was received and they can show BMW it's in writing.

Such action often increases Dealer IQ - they think clearly at last.

Yellow Green Line Smile

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.