BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How reliable is your 335?

4K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  Lufthansa 
#1 ·
I just finished off the last of my 4yr/48k warranty at the 4yr mark with 42k miles on my 2009 335i xDrive. I saved up whatever issues I was most recently having, along with my last free wiper blade replacement, for the last day of warranty to make sure I got my money's worth out of it. And boy have I gotten my money's worth over the past 4 years.

I will start off by saying the E90 335 is the best car I've ever driven. I only intended to keep it 3 years, but it's so good I'm not sure when I'll want to give it up. Having driven the F30, I can say that the steering in the F30 is a huge step backward in feel from the E90 and it really doesn't add anything to the driving or amenities experience that makes me feel compelled to "upgrade". ...but I digress.

Spread out pretty evenly over the past 42k miles, I have had the following work done under warranty:

1) Replaced fuel injectors under recall
2) Replaced HPFP due to failure
3) Replaced steering U-joints and upper linkage due to unusual wear and play
4) Replaced AWD gearbox due to sudden failure
5) Replaced steering rack and pinion gearset due to unusual wear and play

All of this came to around $10k :yikes: in retail cost that thankfully was covered under warranty. While I love the car, it makes me a little nervous about the next 40k miles. Admittedly, having the N54 engine and xDrive increases the likelihood that something might go wrong, but I suspect this is above the norm. Has anyone else experienced this magnitude of repairs over the early years of an E90's life?

See less See more
#2 ·
Has anyone else experienced this magnitude of repairs over the early years of an E90's life?
Short answer. My 04 Civic Value Package was more reliable.

Long answer. The Bad News Beemer earned its name.

2008 E93 with nav, purchased at auction, sight unseen.

Initial problems:
Sticky convertible top latch.
Dead battery (due to being left on at the auction house)
Broken cupholder.
Bad ignition coil.

Later problems.
Convertible top hydraulic pump failure.
Leaking suspension bushings.
Sticking VANOS solenoids.

All of this and some cosmetic parts were replaced by BMW of Austin under warranty. I love those guys.

The most recent problem was the VANOS solenoids. Since then, the car has behaved itself nicely.

But between the complex engine, the nav package and the folding top, it made sense to me to buy the best extended warranty available. Now I have peace of mind for another three years. Given what your repairs would have cost you, I suggest you do the same thing.

Frederic

#6 ·
Short answer. My 04 Civic Value Package was more reliable.

Long answer. The Bad News Beemer earned its name.

2008 E93 with nav, purchased at auction, sight unseen.

Initial problems:
Sticky convertible top latch.
Dead battery (due to being left on at the auction house)
Broken cupholder.
Bad ignition coil.

Later problems.
Convertible top hydraulic pump failure.
Leaking suspension bushings.
Sticking VANOS solenoids.

All of this and some cosmetic parts were replaced by BMW of Austin under warranty. I love those guys.

The most recent problem was the VANOS solenoids. Since then, the car has behaved itself nicely.

But between the complex engine, the nav package and the folding top, it made sense to me to buy the best extended warranty available. Now I have peace of mind for another three years. Given what your repairs would have cost you, I suggest you do the same thing.

Frederic
I made a thread a long time ago "Does BMW Live Up To The Hype?"
From what I've seen, everybody's remark towards someone driving a Bimmer is, "He's rich. He can afford the good stuff." "I wish I could afford one of those. They are the best."
Etc.

Yet, I've been seeing a lot of remarks like yours, lately. After a lot of reading on here, I'm starting to wonder myself how good BMWs really are.
Are they worth the purchase price and the cost in repairs during the time you own it?

Every car has its problems. But, damn. It's like every time I come on here to read, somebody is posting about how their car is messed up (myself included).

Pretty scary from a college student's POV.
One bad component and the life savings is gone.

#3 ·
I am thinking along those lines about an extended warranty, though if I run the car another 1-2 years, it probably wouldn't pay off. I console myself with the thought that it's a fairly exotic mechanical setup and these things are to be expected. I'd rather drive it for the fun and luxury than a reliable Honda.

#5 ·
I am thinking along those lines about an extended warranty, though if I run the car another 1-2 years, it probably wouldn't pay off.
It's a gamble, but it can pay off in a big way. For instance, a new screen for an I-Drive costs more than the extended warranty. So one failure in the right place can make it all worthwhile.

Frederic

#4 ·
Funny feel the same way kinda on the fence on to continue or give it up but dislike the F30 so much I'm leaning on keeping or exploring outside BMW for the 1st time in 12 years and 4 previous models.See you had a steering rack replacement as did I but tell me how did the car drive afterwards??Mine kind of vibrates at high speeds but tolerable. 4 Series coming around this summer so you might want a look see but kinda comforting having no repair bills huh??:thumbup:

#15 ·
I got the car back from the steering rack replacement last Friday AM. It felt perfect Friday, but then on Saturday, I'm feeling the play in it again. I guess it's going back in. A bit frustrating...

As one poster pointed out, the repairs are largely very specific items. I'm hopeful that, having all those items fixed in the past, that they won't die again. This E90 is the best car I've ever owned from performance and design (ergonomics and looks) perspectives. Having driven an F30 loaner, I'm not particularly impressed with the new steering feel and it seems like nothing else has really been changed for the better. I'll either have to wait till the next iteration of the 3er, if I can make it that long, or look outside the marque if necessary.

#9 ·
My 335i is, by far, the best car I've ever owned.

However, I have had two HPFP failures, a VANOS solenoid failure, and over the past two months have had four trips to the dealer to replace misfiring fuel injectors, the last of which came at approximately 49,970 miles.

In the end, I've decided to move on to something new as I can't imagine the second 50,000 miles will go better than the first.

#11 ·
How reliable is your 335

People who post on this site generally are here to outline their problems thus making it seem that the 335 is problem prone. My 2007 335 6M coupe has been virtually problem free. I have had the HP fuel pump relaced twice under recalls not that it ever let me down. This summer I once again went for my yearly oil and filter change and everything checked out A1. I don't baby the car but do drive 50/50 highway/citymiles.

#13 ·
People who post on this site generally are here to outline their problems thus making it seem that the 335 is problem prone. My 2007 335 6M coupe has been virtually problem free. I have had the HP fuel pump relaced twice under recalls not that it ever let me down. This summer I once again went for my yearly oil and filter change and everything checked out A1. I don't baby the car but do drive 50/50 highway/citymiles.
I'm jealous. If the same applied to me, I wouldn't be in the market for a new car.

#12 ·
Any car these days will have problems. Welcome to the computer world. As long as a computer is virtually controlling a car, there will be failures. The question is......how many and how often??

#14 ·
I agree with most of what was said here. My general thought is that unless there is a true manufacturer defect, maintenance is the key to longevity and health of any vehicle. My concern would be that there seems to be very specific failures on our cars ie: Vanos, HPFP, Injectors and Coils. I do wonder what the failure rate is on these though because as previously stated, on forums you usually only hear about the bad!!!

#16 ·
I don't know what the BMW dealers/garages/shops are like State-side but here in the UK they are known to be one of the biggest rip-off merchants...charging for things that haven't been fixed or did not need fixing. Our Volvo main dealers are the same.

Luckily I have a local fix any car garage that charges peanuts for doing great repairs.

:thumbup:

#19 ·
Slightly not related but maybe: I bought a CPO 335i Coupe 2 months ago. 5 weeks into owning it, the very nice neighbor across from me backed into it. On the surface you say,"...probably about 2-3k in repairs since it's a BMW...". It was a center bumper hit on the rear and a slight push in of the trunk (SUV). Had BMW pick it up. 5 weeks later and 12K of authorized repairs through the insurance company...I have it back. I should scan in the repair breakdown and charges! Talk about now N E R V O U S to drive!!! I still think it's the best car I have ever driven and...I just put in a JB4 tuner this weekend that took it the next and final level for me. All I can say is WOW!!! I agree that BMW WAAAYYY overcharges for their repairs. $360.00 to reset the codes??? $308.00 to bleed rear brake lines??? That is why everyone is scared.

#20 ·
My 335 is as reliable as most everyone else's. I have had all the typical problems--cold start issues resolved by recall for HPFP and injectors. After warranty, I had the leaky transmission problem due to the bad mechatronic sleeve gasket. I sort of get the fuel pump and injector problems, because they are high technology, precision tolerance parts. But how does ZF take more than two years to fix a simple gasket for a sleeve with no high pressure fluid working on it? I waited two years before I got my 335, hoping that these kinds of issues would be sorted out. I think Mike Miller of the BMWCCA is right. It's best to buy a BMW in the last year of model production, so you get the one with all the past 7 years of engineering fixes, before they veer off into new more complex parts which are pushed out the door with unknown problems fixed during running production changes.

#25 ·
I'm not convinced with BMW Integrity

I bought a new 2011 - 335i ONE MONTH AGO and it's in the shop for the 2nd time for 9 day's this time. Putting in a "new" DME......I'm worried now that I'll continue to have problems in the future....

I had a 328i prior to trading up to the 335i because I wanted more "Power" but so far all I've got is sour stomach and an Advil headache.....:cry:

I'll give them every chance to resolve the issues but "Come on Man" where is the BMW integrity?

:dunno:

#27 ·
Had 335i now for about 2.5 years and 25k miles. It's been perfect, just one oil change and some fluid top offs. The only thing I don't like are the run flats which will be replaced once these wear out.

*knocks on wood*

#29 ·
I originally wanted an M3, however knew I'd be very frustrated driving it, knowing I couldn't (legally) utilize its potential. The 335 initially appeared to be the perfect choice until I read all the posts about its problems, in particular the HPFP issues. Knowing I would be driving on extended road trips, to include cross-country, the thought of 'breaking down' in the middle of nowhere was unacceptable. Ergo, I purchased a 328 Coupe with MT, and have had zero issues. The cross-country trip was outstanding, the mileage was always over 30 mpg at fill-ups, and the car was flawless. The only times it has been at the dealer was for its annual service.

#30 ·
I've done almost 30k since April and none of my issues would have affected a long trip. I guess if you drive the perfect speed limit yeah you'd never need an m3 (or even a 335), but I find plenty of places I can hit 100+ without being too big an a$$ to other drivers.

If you've looked at "all the problem threads" why haven't you looked at the comments that almost every problem is either fixed and/or backed by warranty (turbos).

#31 ·
"If you've looked at "all the problem threads" why haven't you looked at the comments that almost every problem is either fixed and/or backed by warranty (turbos)."

I don't know what year your car is, however when in late '09 I began more intense research, the HPFP issue was in high gear. I ordered my 328 the week between Christmas and New Years, and it arrived March 1, 2010. Had I bought a 335 at that time, I feel (possibly wrongly) it would have caused me problems. Again, my BMW is a long distance hauler - breaking down because of an HPFP failure in the middle of the desert in August wasn't going to be a player for me regardless of warranty coverage. BTW, the Lexus is the DD, but also has been an interstate traveler when I traveled with my wife.

Regarding your 100+ mph observation, I've also done it with my 328, as many of the roads here in the SW are conducive to high speeds and have minimum law enforcement. At an earlier age I would have been more enamored with this type of driving than I am now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.