BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Paddle Retrofit.....Success!

70K views 153 replies 44 participants last post by  clawpt 
#1 · (Edited)
Well the 2nd try worked out to be the charm. Got my F01 fitted with functioning paddles and upgraded to the M-Sport steering wheel as well. Eventually I had to swap out my steering wheel control cluster along with my old sport steering wheel. Only one issue is I have to be in DS driving mode for the paddles to work. Apparently this is how the 7's are coded I am told. They won't work in just regular driving mode. Nevertheless, I LOVE THEM! So nice to fully have instant control of the transmission whenever I want, really changes the feel of the car!

Here are some pics.

Parts needed:
1. New M-Sport Steering wheel with paddles (Cost me $730)
2. New Steering cluster - $420 (Part # 61319297781). You may not need this if you car is a later model and has this new one already. Mine didn't which is why the first try failed.
3. Airbag? If you have an M-Sport wheel or regular Sport wheel already your airbag is interchangeable. If you have a non-sport wheel you will need a new airbag. Can be pricey new. eBay is probably your best bet for this item.

From what I know I was the first one ever to get an F01/F02 successfully retrofitted with paddles!

If you want your own set talk to Patryk. www.bimmer-tech.net Also email at info@bimmer-tech.net

See less See more
#4 ·
Superb work!

#7 ·
Rajeek, If I already have an M-sport steeing wheel, do you think I could just add the paddles? Did Patryk need to code anything or would just have adding the parts (wheel/control stalk) make it work?

#8 · (Edited)
Sadly no. There are cutouts at the back of the wheel that need to be there for the paddles to be installed. It has to be a paddle specific wheel. You could just buy the bare bones wheel and use all the other stuff from your wheel now, but the wheel needs to be replaced at a minimum.

Yes, special coding is required to get them up and running.

#9 ·
Thanks! That makes sense... Just a quick question, could sell my M-sport wheel to someone w/ a regular wheel or are the airbags not compatible? (since I assume I can keep my existing airbag if I upgrade to an M-sport w/ Paddle wheel)?

#12 ·
Congrats! Awesome mod!

Still don't understand why BMW has you switch to DS. Must the only brand to make you work before you can enjoy steering wheel paddles ;)

How fast is the shift response?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I was a bit sad about the DS thing, but still thrilled to have paddles. Response is instant. Same as all other BMW's with factory installed paddles that I have driven.

#14 ·
I want to change my F10 regular wheel to sport one and I don't care about paddles alot. Do I need to change the steering cluster or my current one would work? I guess I just need the wheel and the airbag. Am I right?

#18 ·
Negative on the smooth airbag cover. It's the one cheap thing that the 6er and 7ers with Nappa leather option should provide. The airbag cover would look so much better with leather stitched cover or at least a smooth vinyl finish as opposed to the grainy look that is same in a 1 series. :tsk:

#17 ·
Great job on the retrofit! I really miss the paddle shifters as I've had them on my past 3 BMWs. Unfortunately, my 7 Msport was an early 2013 build where an error in the ordering system didn't include the paddles with the MSport package. BMW offered to build me a new car or just give me a credit, so I just took the latter, but I miss the paddles for those times where you need to shift instead of having to use the beer tap shifter. And FYI, all BMWs with paddles only work in DS mode.

#27 ·
And FYI, all BMWs with paddles only work in DS mode.
That's incorrect. F10 5-er can shift with paddles in D mode. In fact if your F10 has paddles, you don't have DS mode at all.

Nice work on the retrofit, looks awesome!

#19 ·
Thanks Raj for choosing BimmerTech... again! :)

If anyone is interested in doing this retrofit we still have brand new M sport steering wheels with paddles in stock now. We can supply the complete kit to retrofit the paddle shifters in any F01/02 or F10.
Drop us an email with your VIN and location to get a quote.

Thanks!

#21 ·
Thanks Raj for choosing BimmerTech... again! :)

If anyone is interested in doing this retrofit we still have brand new M sport steering wheels with paddles in stock now. We can supply the complete kit to retrofit the paddle shifters in any F01/02 or F10.
Drop us an email with your VIN and location to get a quote.

Thanks!
Sent you an email.

#23 · (Edited)
Now that you've had them for a while, how do you like your new gauges? Do they still have that 'wow' factor to you yourself (not others who see them for the first time) or has the novelty worn off? Are they any more functional in everyday use (i.e.: are navigation indicators on the cluster more useful than on the prior cluster)? Do they feel any less 'luxurious' than the analog instruments? Wondering your actual thoughts...

#25 ·
I still love the new panel. My only wish and this is just personal preference is that the sport red dials would only appear on Sport + vs Sport/Sport +. That is all. Otherwise still love it. It also displays 5 lines of info for songs and phone lists which is very nice.

#24 ·
Very nice indeed.

2 questions if I may:

1. How do you tell if you need the new steering cluster or not?
2. Do you need to recode the car after making the steering wheel change?

#35 ·
Just put the order in w/ Patryk, thanks again for the two of you doing all the legwork on this retrofit. Fingers crossed it goes smoothly, can't wait!

#37 ·
Thanks! Glad to hear it, will do!

#38 ·
So I kept reading here you can't use the paddle shifters without being in D/S mode, I was driving on the freeway today, in comfort +, hit my downshift paddle and knocked it down to 7 then 6, and back up to 8, not in D/S mode, yours could be a coding problem?

#39 ·
So I kept reading here you can't use the paddle shifters without being in D/S mode, I was driving on the freeway today, in comfort +, hit my downshift paddle and knocked it down to 7 then 6, and back up to 8, not in D/S mode, yours could be a coding problem?

Thanks. Will have Patryk look into this. That is the only downside of the paddles right now. Gonna work with him to try and get it like yours then. If we can get it coded that way it would be perfect then!

#44 ·
Great upgrade! You are paving the way for retrofits on the F01! I still can't get over how cool your instrument cluster is. :thumbup:

#53 · (Edited)
Thanks to Rajeek and Patryk for all their work getting this going! Got the new steering wheel and cluster in yesterday, installed it and had it remotely programmed today. Works like a charm. It was the one thing that was holding me back from a F0x (since I managed to mod my E38 to have them and felt like I was going backwards by not having it on my F0x) and I hated the fact that F10s had them optionally and that BMW of course decides to wait until 2013 (or maybe 2012) to have it on the F0x. This really makes the car!

#54 ·
Thanks to Rajeek and Patryk for all their work getting this going! Got the new steering wheel and cluster in yesterday, installed it and had it remotely programmed today. Works like a charm. It was the one thing that was holding me back from a F0x (since I managed to mod my E38 to have them and felt like I was gong backwards by not having it on my F0x) and I hated the fact that F10s had them optionally and that BMW of course decides to wait until 2013 (or maybe 2012) to have it on the F0x. This really makes the car!
Did you guys loose the heated steering wheel option in the mod process going to the paddle shifters?

#62 ·
I just had mine done by Patryk too.
I had the msport wheel anyhow so just needed a swap of the wheel and a bit of coding.

I agree though it a bit crazy you have to be in ds before the paddles will work. Used to have an Audi S8 which didn't do this... think it's a BMW quirk!

#64 ·
I just had mine done by Patryk too.
I had the msport wheel anyhow so just needed a swap of the wheel and a bit of coding.

I agree though it a bit crazy you have to be in ds before the paddles will work. Used to have an Audi S8 which didn't do this... think it's a BMW quirk!
What year is your 7? Seems that it makes a difference depending on the software version your car is running on... I'll get the coding done next week so we'll see how it works on a '12.