BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

C&D Sept. '07 135i Article

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  redadair 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Yes, it is a very nice looking vehicle. It is definately big enough for 2 people to be very comfortable in the cockpit. For 4 people, not so much if it is 4 adults over 6ft tall. But, what do you expect? It is going to be a fun car and at a great price. Which will lead into future 3 and 5 series sales. good for bmw.

#3 ·
What's the deal with no hatch though? :dunno:

Is it from the stigma of "bob-tail" E46s lingering on dealer lots?

#5 ·
Probably. BMW is trying to hit the big time; Americans won't buy the hatch in enough volume to make it worth their effort.

Besides, it's obvious that BMWNA is working hard to keep their "luxury" image intact. They're pushing the 1 series as a "performance" alternative and a throwback to the iconic 2002 (which was actually a fairly cheap car in its day!), rather than the (somewhat) cheap entry-level car that it actually is. Hatchback and cheap are still synonymous with one another in the minds of most American buyers, and that wouldn't jive with the current marketing scheme. The coupe is an easier sell.

We'll also be getting the VW Cab...errr, 1 series convertible for good measure.

I have nothing against any of this, really. If anything, I'd actually prefer to see the 1 series regarded and acknowledged as an entry level car. Anything to escape the negative snob appeal stereotype of BMW ownership...

#4 ·
BMW usually finds single-piston calipers to be sufficient for its cars. Even some M-cars are shod with single piston calipers...

We'd guess BMW is providing the fancy brakes because more than a few 135i coupes will likely be taken to the track by their owners.
Some? When was the last time BMW sold a production car that didn't have single piston calipers? Even the "semi exotic" E46 CSL was equipped as such.

#7 ·
Sold my 330i last week, was thinking 535/550i next, but I am so leaning toward a 135cic next.

:thumbup:

#11 ·
All I can say is that if I was looking at the 335i coupe this year I would differently hold off and buy the more nimble 135i and not because of the price but it more accurately represents a 2+2 coupe than the 335i. Seems the 3er bloat shows up the most in the coupe IMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.