BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

z4 alignment

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  shipkiller 
#1 ·
what is normal cost for wheel alignment? and can any shop do it?

#2 ·
At the shops around me, 4-wheel alignments are usually about $75.. I usually like to go to the shops that are body shops as well, because there's a better chance they have a laser aligment system that is fairly accurate. I think I called a dealer around here and it was under $100.

#3 ·
What you are looking for is a shop that has the special diagnostic computer that will reset the 'Steering Angle Sensor' (SAS) after the alignment.
99% of all alignment shops have some kind of 'laser' alignment equipment and these are computerized systems with a catalog of different makes and models that have the OEM alignment settings stored. When the operator plugins in your type of car, the computer will also advise the operator that the SAS must be re-zero'ed. The better European shops have this.

If you don't re-zero the SAS then you could have issues with the DSC behaving weird. Been there, done that.........

#5 ·
The E46 does so I would be willing to bet the Z3 does also. I will research this.
Sears??? seriously??? Do you REALLY think the knuckleheads at Sears know about a German Car? The have a hard enough time with American cars...

#6 ·
Well, I have been taking my cars to Sears for alignment for a long time, and as with those (mostly foreign) I was not disappointed.
I received a full print out of the results and appropriate comments as to what to do.
The Z3 has no adjustment for anything but "toe" for the front wheels. Everything else is factory set. If anything is off from its spec, you have either bent or worn parts.
If you don't believe me, check the repair manual, section 320-18.
I don't see any issue with what I did, and who did it. Had repairs been needed, I would have most likely done them myself, or taken the Z to a specialty shop. But just an alignment should be cake for almost any shop (IMHO). :)

#9 ·
Could be they added the SAS (its used by the DSC) after 98'... It could be a model year thing..... early: NO late: yes.

#12 ·
Now that makes sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.