BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Power outlets

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  EC1 
#1 ·
My 2011 F25 2.0d power sockets in console and cargo area are permanently live...not only when the inition is ON as the owners manual says. ...is this something the dealer can change..? Or is it owner configurable..?

#2 ·
Answered myself

Found an archived post that pointed me in the right direction and I have just experimented with an appliance with power LED indicator. The Cupholder, centre console and cargo area 12v outlets all switch off automatically 3 minutes after you lock the car. Even touching a door handle restarts the 3 minutes... You do not need to unlock it...Did not test the rear underfloor outlet but I was concerned about semi permanent connection of a Waeco fridge in the rear floor area. Should be fine for 3 minutes. My car is build December 2010.

#6 ·
Answered myself

Found an archived post that pointed me in the right direction and I have just experimented with an appliance with power LED indicator. The Cupholder, centre console and cargo area 12v outlets all switch off automatically 3 minutes after you lock the car. Even touching a door handle restarts the 3 minutes... You do not need to unlock it...Did not test the rear underfloor outlet but I was concerned about semi permanent connection of a Waeco fridge in the rear floor area. Should be fine for 3 minutes. My car is build December 2010.
My 2010 E83 X3 doesn't have that luck. It stays live without shutting off no matter how many days I wait. I think E83 (2010 and before) is different from F25 (2011 and after). Any thoughts?

#4 ·
I believe the console shuts off after approx 15 mins is about right. My mobile GPS is attached and usually forget to turn the unit off after leaving the car and he power is drained to about 25% which should not happen if the power remains live.

As for the trunk, there is a portable cooler attached and continues running when I return. So this might be the only outlet live which makes sense for this purpose after you leave the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.