BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X3 OEM Navigation Retrofit - Success!

127K views 125 replies 36 participants last post by  JESUS_TDP 
#1 · (Edited)
After doing an OEM MKIV Navigation system retrofit in my wife's e46 a few months ago, I decided that I really wanted to do the same in my X3. I love the integration of phone, navigation, Sirius, reverse camera and iPod via the Intravee II.

Anyhow, I ordered up all the parts for the X3 retrofit from an eBay seller in Germany and had everything shipped to me here last month. I got around to tackling it finally with my friend Andy, who is a BMW Master Tech... Actually, he did all the hard work, I just hung around, held the flashlight and tried to stay out of the way... ;)

Link to all the part #'s on Realoem.com. The wiring harness is part # 61120390114 if you are piecing the parts together yourself...
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=PA92&mospid=47792&btnr=65_1492&hg=65&fg=95&hl=40

First, here are the OEM install instructions:
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/x3_oem_nav_retrofit.pdf

All the parts. You don't need part "O" for USA cars (all are pre-wired for CD changer)

The wiring harness layout:

Basic map of where things will go in car:

Start with the wiring harness in the trunk. These 2 cables will connect to the back of the MKIV. The GPS antenna is here also. The instructions call to route the GPS antenna to be behind the instrument cluster. Not sure if you could tap into the shark fin.

Pop the rear seat off and the bolster behind the driver's side back seat. Everything just pops right off.

Route the wiring harness down the bolster and tuck it along the existing cables. Secure it with zip ties.

We then removed the driver's front seat and the center console. The wiring harness runs along the floor to the front of the front seat, across the floor and up through the center console to behind the radio.

Remove the sunglass tray, the AC vents and the old radio. Everything essentially pops out and is secured in by Philips head screws.

Removing the armrest provides better access to the carpet, which is very stiff:

The harness routed up through the console area:

The wires plug into the existing connectors for the old radio:

You need to remove the instrument cluster. You'll tap into the vehicle's speed sensor coming out of the wires behind the cluster.

While we had the cluster out, we removed the seat belt speaker chime. It just pops right off with gentle twisting:

Connections made to the fuse box:

Putting everything back together:

In the trunk, I attached the bracket for the MKIV drive, Turns out I need to order a different bracket that supports Sirius too. I just stuffed everything in there for now. I also connected my Intravee II and iPod now:

The part # of the bracket I need to order, that hold the MKIV drive and the Sirius unit: 65503411774
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=PA93&mospid=47794&btnr=65_1374&hg=65&fg=05&hl=2

The last surprise was that the carpet piece for cars without Nav is different than the carpet piece for cars with Nav. My existing trim piece was too deep. I looked it up, and sure enough, I need this $100ish part: 51473412225
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=PA93&mospid=47794&btnr=51_5181&hg=51&fg=65&hl=36

Back in a few with some pics of the functionality...

See less See more
#39 ·
Thanks, that worked like a charm! I did lose my e-brake light...I'm sure it's the wire that went *no where*. I'll have to pop off the centre console again but no big deal.

Now I've got to figure out an "ignition on" +12v wire to tap into in the back rear quarter panel. I wont hi-jack the thread anymore, I'll start another thread.

#40 ·
I am debating on doing this retrofit. I reviewed the installation instructions and it appears that the cable from the trunk to the dash is to be ran under the drivers side door sill. Why did you choose to run it under the center console?

#41 ·
We figured it'd be easier to run it through the center console... didn't really matter--there is plenty of slack in the cable.

#43 ·
What should you expect to pay for a retrofit kit from a private party, Europe or US? and what would a technician typically charge for installation, say an audio store? lastly, is the camera typically included or is that an additional module purchase?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...dbQQitemZ120557915867QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

Grab that! Sick deal!

Install takes about 6 hours. My shop charged around $500 for the install.

Reverse camera is all aftermarket btw.

#44 ·
I can't locate any information from the TIS for the Glove Box removal. Can anyone provide me with directions?

Jeff

#45 ·
there are only 4-5 Philips head screws holding it in... Just unscrew and pull it out

#46 ·
I have been working on my retrofit project and have one question. I am unclear on how to properly connect the cables from the Navigation Computer in the trunk. I have attached a photo of what I have done up to this point.

Please help.

Jeff

Attachments

#48 ·
I have been working on my retrofit project and have one question. I am unclear on how to properly connect the cables from the Navigation Computer in the trunk. I have attached a photo of what I have done up to this point.

Please help.

Jeff
Ok. I got this figured out. There is a connector secured to the back, behind the radio slot, removed that connector, undo and make your final connectors from the navigation wiring harness.

Ok now I have removed the glove box to expose the fuse block, any suggestions on where I connect the wire that I ran into this area??

Jeff

#51 ·
#52 ·
what for a x3 from 2005

Hello All,

I the brand new owner of a x3 3.0 2005
I have the gps business monochrome and would like to install the retrofit for gps color

need to install CID module, lcd flip screen and the cable

question, can I do the same install on a 2005 modele?

thanks for any hints

Dark

#54 · (Edited)
Hello,

Thank you for your reply:
let me add:
- I already have a GPS monochrome Business Edition (with GPS module in the back of the trunk and GPS antenna installed)

- I have as well the CD Charger (no AUX available)
- I found CID module, LCD flip screen and Cables for 600 Euros (900 USD) (3 parts in Ebay - screen 100 euros, then CID about 350.00 and Cables 99 or 129 euros, depends where you buy)

will remain the install

basically, I cannot connect the Garmin BMW GPS (specifically said in the web page , cannot install if you have GPS Nav Business or Professional)

any one did the transformation on a 2005 model?

#55 · (Edited)
Do you have a MK IV DVD drive in the rear in the trunk? If so you would need to verify that the cable running from the DVD drive to the radio is the same that is used in a Professional Navigation install. If so I would think the retro fit should be simple. I have a spare Navigation Professional CD Control Unit for sale: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531828&highlight=

#56 · (Edited)
Hello,

yes I have a MK4 (GPS / DVD) in the trunck - and, as I was giving my X3 to car service this morning (95000km - oil filters etc...) , I asked and had been told the modules are 100% compatibles.
just need the CID, cable + LCD flip screen

Of course the module is interresting for me... do you have the LCD flip screen as well ? in black
we can continue dicussion offline? my email creatom2@hotmail.com

cheers,
Dark

#57 · (Edited)
ok here results of my questions to bmw

- exists 2 sets
- 1 for models from 2004 till 2006
specific CID + specific Cable you can actually order and mount in BMW - ref available
- 1 for models after facelift and that can read Mp3 and ID3 tags
new CID (with chrome on the buttons) + cable you cannot order - kit does exist but not ref in the system

- Can not mount parts that you bring - You need to buy them from bmw (I can understand)

#61 ·
Jeff, I tried:
- I gave you email address since the 5th of May, - no reply from you
- I sent you a PM as you requested last 10th of May - no reply from you
- I asked you if you had the LCD flip screen - still no news/reply from you :)

I am a bit concerned to do business in this context
Dark
I just check my sent items and I did email you from my gmail account on May 9th. Not sure what happen. Check you emails now, I PM'd you and sent you an email to you hotmail account.

Jeff

#62 ·
Hello all again,
I persued in the retrofit, and found all parts required.

Context: BMW X3 Da 2005
MK4 + CID NAv Business installed

Here is the first part of the journey:
first find the parts:
ebay...
you will need (If Previous Nav business is installed)
1 CID Professional (depends en what version you want - the OEM version from 2005 is a bit old - I went for a 2007 model compatible with MP3 and ID Tags)
1 Flap Display (standard for all X3 Generations ... Becareful exists a similare model for Z4 - IT IS NOT THE SAME PART - Go only for X3-E83 OEM)
1 Cable retrofit
1 Wires retrofit and plugs (to go to fuse box)
1 installation guide - BMW retrofit instruction guide pdf (available on Google)
here >>
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/x3_oem_nav_retrofit.pdf
you can find a complete set in ebay between 1000 euros up to 2500 euros (in germany)

mine all together was much cheaper about 750,00 euros (for example, I baught the LCD screen for 152 euros on ebay)
+ Displus MK4 encoding (about 120 euros) at BMW service

Beware -
- if you are not a bit experienced, and you plan doing it alone - you are going to suffer!...
- it takes several hours, so book your week end off and invite a friend with more experience than you!
- The cable fits just at the right place and has just the right size
- once you run the test that everything is working fine - install the wires and cable beginning from the CID toward the trunk

1) you will need to remove the back seats (quite easy) just unclip them (with your 2 hands on 1 side, pull toward the sealing gently - do same to the other side and slide out the whole backseat)
2) remove as well the sides to reveal the wires under the carpet, (same, just pull gently to unclip them)
3) you will need as well to remove the plastic cover, down the top of the seat belt, between the doors (there are 2 clips down - just pull gently - then slide down the whole part, don't pull - it slides gently as well
4) Use torque screwdriver to remove the cover left down and under the strearing weel
5) remove the speed meter (2 torque screws and the whole part slide gently out ) unplug it and leave it (we won't need it until the reassemble the car)
6) you will need to remove the central Air dashboard (push up from below- it will unclip it, and pull gently the whole part our from the dash board)
7) remove the 2 screws from the part to be replaced by the Display
8) remove the 2 screws holding the radio/CID Business
9) remove both part and unplugg gently the CID
10) when you see this :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

then follow the installation guide (link above)

cheers,
Dark

#63 ·
#64 ·
yes indeed :) it was at the first post.
so retrofit is same for all X3 from 2004 - 2010... :)

For the upgrade from Busness to Professional, you will need to go to your BMW Car service to ask for encoding the new setup using the DIS Plus computer.
there are 2 encodings - one that last for 5-7 hous to reprogram all modules in the car (when you add a new device for example - Navigation)
and a simpler encoding through CIP to set the MK4 to high (for prof.) instead of Low (for Business)

for me, the retrofit is not complete yet, as it seems the display is not working - while everything else works just fine ! .... grr.......
I am awaiting for a new lcd screen this week :)

Dark

#66 · (Edited)
Finally! done ! working :)

Last night I received the my serial key for Navcoder and went attempting to make the damn thing work! but... no... after the encoding and reboot. no screen - still black.

Today, on my way back from the office, I opened the screen to see one more time if there would be any hope left... and after about 20mn I started to see a king of shape, something on the dark screen

and this is from this afternoon,
after having the car running for 20-30mn... I let you imagein how "dark" the screen was last night after beeing activated few minutes only

Obviously le second screen works far more better

OS upgrade required after encoding the mk4 (each time actually)

German ... oups...
NavCoder to change this

et voila

BTW here where I could connect the NAvcoder and the USB dongle
with the professional retrofit, the original cables remain in place. You just but need to connect the cable to the Blue Plug remaining

on the blue plug :)

Do not forget to burn 2 OS discs (V29 and v32 for me)

cheers,
Dark

#69 ·
Help!!!!

So, I decided a few weeks ago that I would retrofit a nav in my x3. Finally got around to doing it today (i should say tonight) AND i've come across a problem. :mad:

Everything is plugged as it should, but the monitor and MKIV unit aren't turning on.

I'd like to think that my wiring is correct, but something tells me I skipped a step.

I connected the black/white wire to the speedometer (no problem) and i connected the green/blue wire to the fuse box in the glove box. I couldn't find an empty spot for the X428 plug, so I ended up using an insulation-displacement connector. (i wonder if this has anything to do with my monitor/mkiv not working)

I connected A3 to the monitor and A1/A2 to their appropriate ends.

A6 & A7 went into the black CID plug (along with the other wires that were already present)

A10 and A9 are connected to the MKiv.

Am i missing something????

Someone please help!!! I don't want to have to undo everything just to leave home.:mad:

#71 · (Edited)
Hello there!

one thing i found out is that the ground plug is extremly important :)
no ground, no juice.

just hook it to the metal structure holding the MK4, or better, few inches up right when you look at your MK4, there is a small nutt you can use.

that should start the MK4 and the screen
cheers,

PS: I Tried an interresting combinaison, my CID Business with screen + Flap LCD
Works great together! :)

#72 ·
Hello there!

one thing i found out is that the ground plug is extremly important :)
no ground, no juice.

just hook it to the metal structure holding the MK4, or better, few inches up right when you look at your MK4, there is a small nutt you can use.

that should start the MK4 and the screen
cheers,

PS: I Tried an interresting combinaison, my CID Business with screen + Flap LCD
Works great together! :)
Hmm.. that was the it! Thanks for your help darkrider! Now I need to get my MKIV out of Europe mode...

#82 ·
yeah that one you just gave me the website for is good for 500 it looks OEM obviously its not but all i gotta do now id buy it and learn how to install it lol i just want a screen and an ipod hook up and this thing looks like the easiest way to go...unless any of you live naer central new jersey and want to show me exactly what to do hahah thanks for all the help guys i love this forum

#86 ·
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-DVD-GPS...Technology&hash=item3a68cda63b#ht_2648wt_1110

the GPS includes all the connection to plug and play
1) you have to remove the CD charger to free the AUX input in the OEM radio
2) you can connect the IPOD in the aux line in to the GPS but you cannot control the GPS or the IPOD with the buttons in the car (that is not an integration)

but it is cheap and easy to install
1) open the dash board and take out the CID Radio
2) plug the adaptor
3) plug the 12v on the GPS
4) et voila

I prefer integration so I made a retrofit GPS pro
cheers,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.