BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

06 z4 electrical issues...help please!!

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Droptop85 
#1 ·
I just recently bought a used 06 z4 3.0i. Previous owner had battery problems and needed to be jumped often so he installed new battery from autozone. Haven't had that problem with being jumped but have had other problems. Drove around town fine but went on long trip, the cruise control shuts out, the lights in dash flashed, engine looses power for a brief second, windshield wipers cut on once but we never completely broke down to where we couldn't drive. Could these odd electrical problems be caused by this new battery?? Or could it be some connection problem? Seems to be only at higher speeds ( around 70-80 mph).

Please, if anyone has any thoughts, I don't want to go straight to the dealership yet.

Thanks,
Becca

#4 · (Edited)
Some later models of BMWs require a new battery be....

registered to the car. Not sure if '06 Z4 is one of them. You have to go back to a BMW dealer to do this.:dunno: Really stupid idea BMW!:mad: First I saw of this was in Mike Miller's colume in Rondell. Did a Google and found this. http://www.thedrivingmachine.com/parts/battery-registration-what Looks like an '06 might require a battery registration.

#5 · (Edited)
As simple as it is checking the battery connections cant hurt, but I'm guessing thats not it. Sounds like all your issues happened at speed. With the engine on, with poor connections on the battery the power would be supplied by the alternator. It puts out enough current to run the car and charge the battery.

The registering the battery thing at the dealer is not relevant to any Z4 up to at least MY2008. I have an 07 and just changed the battery.

Sounds like a common thread thing, maybe a relay or the ignition switch. See this thread.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582105

On an older VW Jetta I had an ignition switch do the same things to me as happened to you. I also had the symptom of the car not wanting to restart immediately after as little as a 20 min drive. I would wait for 20-30 min and it would restart.

On a VW new bug I had a relay do similar things.

Unless you are familiar with electrical troubleshooting and have some mechanical experience, check with the locals for a good indie mech or a reputable BMW dealer. You dont want to keep driving the car in this condition. Way too exciting having the engine shut off at 80mph.
Good Luck

#6 ·
Aftermarket batteries charge differently from the oem BMW battery. You have to take the car to the dealer and have them register the battery so the car recognizes the new battery. Honestly it's cheaper to just buy the oem battery. People tend to go aftermarket to save cost. Then had the issues your describing. Then have to pay the dealer more money to fix the problem rather than just buying the right battery in the first place. Sorry for your luck

#9 ·
They mentioned it wasn't registered to the car but I do know now that the battery that previous owner installed didn't have the proper CCA. Got the proper battery and have had zero problems. They charged me only for the battery, not install or anything else so I must have misheard them about the regristration. sorry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.