BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Traded in my 335d

4K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  5SeriesNatsFan 
#1 ·
Goodbye all you diesel lovers. I traded in my 335d, for a 528xi all wheel drive. After six sessions with the SES light in a little over 2 and 3/4 years, it became a bit much and I could not trust there would not be a seventh. I will join the 5 series forum.

#4 · (Edited)
Interesting, I too traded my 335d but for an A4. After only 3 months, the wife and I have decided it is too small so we are trading for an A6. I drove the 528ix and the A6 2.0T Quattro. I liked the Audi better and so did the wife. It was also about $5K cheaper than the BMW.

#5 ·
Interesting, I too traded my 335d but for an A4. After only 3 months, the wife and I have decided it is too small so we are trading for an A6 on Saturday. I drove the 528ix and the A6 2.0T Quattro. I liked the Audi better and so did the wife. It was also about $5K cheaper than the BMW.
Funny that you still hang around this site!:p

#6 ·
touche my friends they still love the TORQUE!! Its sad to say that BMWoA has not helped many of our colleagues for something the KNOW is bad and are willing to part with good customers!!

#15 ·
So far knock on wood I haven't had any issues. July 2011 build with only 15k miles. I have a little more than 2 years left on the warranty and will make a determination on keeping my car long-term as I get closer to the warranty expiration.

I love my car and am hoping the issues with the EGR/injectors/DDE get resolved.

#16 ·
Good luck.
Hope you get your wish.
I too would love to drive my D for the next 10 years!
Having experienced it's capabilities, I can't think of another car that can come close to replace it.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Bimmer App

#23 · (Edited)
It's a little troubling to come here with all the carbon building up talk lately after frequenting the TDI forum where the dark cloud was the HPFP.

Either I have a keen ability to choose cars with major reliability issues (we are talking German CR diesels here after, so that is a possibility) or we are all suffering a bit from Forum Phobia where "problems" get magnified to disproportional status.

I'm not discounting people's problems, but I'm holding on to my opinion that the carbon build up problems are still affecting only a small percent of our ds (seems driving patterns and fuel quality does play a role here as well) Of course, as we rack miles on these cars, the truth should become more apparent.

Just my 2 c-

#24 ·
It's a little troubling to come here with all the carbon building up talk lately after frequenting the TDI forum where the dark cloud was the HPFP.

Either I have a keen ability to choose cars with major reliability issues (we are talking German CR diesels here after all) or we are all suffering a bit from Forum Phobia where "problems" get magnified to disproportional status.

I'm not discounting people's problems, but I'm holding on to my opinion that the carbon build up problems are still affecting only a small percent of our ds (seems driving patterns and fuel quality does play a role here as well) Of course, as we rack miles on these cars, the truth should become more apparent.

Just my 2 c-
Prior buying the E90 2010 335d, I had a E39 1998 528i. This car was very reliable. I forgot exactly, but I think I had to visit one or twice the dealer for check engine light.

With the 335d, I had many check engine light that resulted in 8 visits to the dealer (20 May 2011, 20 Oct 2011, 29 Nov 2011, 24 Jul 2012, 23 Oct 2012, 18 and 28 Jan 2013, 27 Feb). Each time, the car was at the dealer from 2 days to over a week (parts not available locally). In addition to the 8 visits, I had 2 recall plus 3 services.

Two weeks ago, the car went in limp mode. The car had no power, the Engine malfunction did turn yellow but the check engine light did not turn ON. After securely reaching home, turning OFF and back ON the engine did clear the limp mode. Because the check engine light is not ON, my SA suggested me to drive the car for now. I did run a scan, I have three shadow codes (or pending fault code): 4592, 4593 and 4B81. The first two codes are related to injector 2 and 4 and the last one is the EGR.

I know I am not the only one that is having problems with this car. However, I do not know if it is widespread or isolated. I like the car but I am tired of these frequent visits to the dealer. At this time, I do not have an extended warranty and I do not want to own this car without one. My warranty is valid up to Nov 2013. Soon I will have to decide, should I get an extended warranty or dump the car?

#26 · (Edited)
Well, I'll likely have my d for a while. Just rolled over 52K problem free miles. My daily commute is around 35 miles each way, with 60% highway at 80 mph. For the last 30K miles, I've been using a can of Liqui Moly Diesel Purge about every other month, but will plan on using it monthly going forward.

I also used the Lubro Moly engine treatment routine on my 08 335i, which had 85K trouble free miles when I traded for the d.

YMMV.

#27 ·
What does the liqui moly additive do?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.