BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Hmm, instrument cluster about to fail??......

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Assimilator1 
#1 · (Edited)
I've noticed recently that on occasions the LED display for the mileage, BC fuctions & trip counter are mucher dimmer than their supposed to be (rest of the cluster is fine), & this morning it gave a garbled display! :(. Turning the ignition on & off again brought it back to life but I can only see this problem getting worse......

Is there any common solder joints that break anywhere on the cluster that could be fixed with a soldering iron?
Are their any common fixable failures on the instrument cluster?
Btw I'm a mechanic (independant garage), so I've got a few tools & a little knowledge ;).

Btw please no one tell me that it's the main car battery, I saw that mentioned in another thread as a possible cause, which is totally wrong, if the battery were screwed it wouldn't start :rolleyes:.

I don't think it's fluctuating alternator voltage as I don't see any other lights pulsing, & the dash is consistently dim when it does play up + it wouldn't cause a garbled display, especially seeing as the engine was off on that occasion ;). One other thing I noticed is the display is very dim on 1st turning on, then it brightens up a bit after a few seconds. Could it be the clusters voltage regulator??

Having said all that about the alternator I am going to check the alternator voltage output JIC ;).

TIA :)

See less See more
#4 ·
This might not be it, but I thought I would throw it out there. The displays brightness is controlled by a little electronic eye on the light switch. I have noticed it doing some funny things a while back, gettind dim and then brighter within a few seconds. I cleaned it off and it seems to have worked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.