BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not Trying to be a Party Pooper, But...

7K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  Jon Shafer 
#1 ·
What's the reasoning behind the price of entry doubling to $20? I understand that the ENTIRE fairgrounds are being 'acquired' this year. But I thought that the reasoning behind going to the fairgrounds in the first place was to have more room so the vendors (that were supposed to be paying) had room to set-up amongst the cars. THAT was suppose to cover the fees for the fairgrounds, although I understand that there may need to be some contributions from the participants, like the $10 we paid last year, etc.

Bimmerfest was initially a gathering of like minded enthusiasts when it started, not a place you have to pay $20 to hang to with your friends. ...or am I missing something?

#2 · (Edited)
What's the reasoning behind the price of entry doubling to $20? I understand that the ENTIRE fairgrounds are being 'acquired' this year. But I thought that the reasoning behind going to the fairgrounds in the first place was to have more room so the vendors (that were supposed to be paying) had room to set-up amongst the cars. THAT was suppose to cover the fees for the fairgrounds, although I understand that there may need to be some contributions from the participants, like the $10 we paid last year, etc.

Bimmerfest was initially a gathering of like minded enthusiasts when it started, not a place you have to pay $20 to hang to with your friends. ...or am I missing something?
Yeah, back then Jon cooked the hot dogs himself, didn't have to pay for a venue, insurance for the event, and attendees didn't steal the banners nor did they have physical altercations. Hey we even got FREE Mcguires wax, speed shine, detail cloths, wheel cleaner and sometimes a tshirt, cap or poster from "vendors" just for showing up. :thumbup:

The event grew, things change. 20 bucks? It's still worth it.

Just have people pay $2.50-$5.00 a piece for a ride with you in your next couple of autocrosses and you're all set. Hell I'll even let you buy me a couple of drinks.:bigpimp:

#3 ·
It is always going to be a tough call. I don't really have a problem with the organizers making a profit on bimmerfest, since it is such a huge operation. However, I would like to see the event remain true to its roots. Bimmerfest is not a HIN or anything similar, and should not go in that direction. Vendor spots aren't all that expensive. A Gold Booth outside is only $500. That is pennies to the big vendors like AA and Dinan. I really have no idea how much the average vendor makes at Bimmerfest. I do know that they donate a fair amount to the raffle. :dunno: Either way, it's a tough call. I don't have a problem paying $20 to get in, but I would hate for it to deter people from coming. :(

#4 ·
IMHO; It's just so someone can make a few bucks off the event.

The amounts of money given to the "Unity Shoppe" is nothing compared to the revenue generated by the entry fees.....

There were a lot of people last year that did not park at the event just to protest the cost of admission. I thought $10 was out of line. $20 is flat out robbery!

#16 ·
IMHO; It's just so someone can make a few bucks off the event.

The amounts of money given to the "Unity Shoppe" is nothing compared to the revenue generated by the entry fees.....

There were a lot of people last year that did not park at the event just to protest the cost of admission. I thought $10 was out of line. $20 is flat out robbery!
Maybe you can get a ride with these guys.

It's $20 frigging dollars. If it's too much for you, stay home. As for someone "making a few bucks off the event" how the hell do you know? Oh, I guess you should just demand to see Jon's financials for the event...

#7 ·
:rofl::rofl: I remember that guy.

But anyways, yeah i think $20 is a bit much. I understand of course people need to get paid for their time and efforts, but again, we are steering away from what Bimmerfest really is. Not saying i will not go, just saying that $20.00 is a bit much for something like, maybe tone it back down to $10 or even $5.

Anyways, see you guys there regardless.

#8 ·
wow, times have changed! well, just park elsewhere and walk in! They should setup some designated parking areas for ppl who don't want to pay $20 to park. Maybe just charge $5 admissions instead? They can make their money, just don't rob people. Thats all I'm saying.

#9 ·
Back in the day, the folks at Cutter BMW used to graciously allow BF to use their lot and supplied personnel to help parking and event control. Brembo paid for the catered lunch. Vendors didn't pay anything to attend and, in return, were able to offer up great prizes for the raffle.

Times have changed. The event is 5+ times bigger than what fit at Cutter. Time to move.

Now, the guys must rent the Earl Warren land, lot, and buildings, purchase insurance, hire setup/teardown personnel, parking personnel, security personnel, foor/drink vendors, and then personally still work from Tuesday morning through Friday night to get the event running in time for a few people to complain about $20 to get in.

A year or two ago, the vendors themselves were almost charged to cover the entire event (to save from charging admission to us), but the end result was they wouldn't come or they wouldn't offer items for the charity raffle. Both bad. The vendor charge was lowered and therefore attendee admission was bound to happen. Brembo no longer pays for food, only sponsoring the lounge space. Food is now supplied by the fairgrounds and BF still has to pay to have them there while not receiving anything in return.

We have all paid similiar price or more for movies, concerts, county fairs, and other car shows like HIN, NOPI, SEMA, etc. The $20 wont kill anyone. Most people coming to BF will spend 10-30x that on food, gas, lodging, and entertainment during the trip (I am personally in the 30x category). This is not a local euro meet in a parking lot somewhere.

This is Bimmerfest!

#13 ·
bitching about $20 to park?

You drive a friggin' BMW for crissakes!

Parking is $25 here in Sacramento to a Kings game....or any other professional sporting event for that matter. Christ, it's 20 to park all day in LA, SF, Seattle, or any other major city.

I even paid $40 for a NIGHT in SF not too long ago--and the hotel was $350!

#14 · (Edited)
It's like drug, the first drag is free, then you get hooked, and you can't stop going back for more regardless of the cost.

#17 ·
I think the original poster was just saying how much Bimmerfest has changed since its inception. Marvelphx sums it up pretty well. For some of us old timers who've been there since the get go, the smaller Bimmerfest at Cutter Motors was waaaaayyyy more fun and you could meet up with the people you most often conversed with on the forums. That was what I enjoyed the most. Now I think the event has been 100% commercialized for better or worse. But it was inevitable since its a BMW car event not a Kia meet at your local shopping center parking lot.

#21 ·
Now I think the event has been 100% commercialized for better or worse..
Commercialized?!?

What because BMWNA chose to include it in one of their commercials?

I would think that I could find a better descriptor than commercialized...

..Just my $02.

EDIT: I can't believe what I am reading..

#19 ·
This has to be the strangest thread that I have ever read here...

:confused:

Does anybody remember what they paid at the gate last year?

:dunno:

PPPssstttt. It was the same amount as this year (can't believe nobody noticed that yet!)...

Just a note to mention too that our rental fee for the grounds nowadays costs almost as much as a used E46 M3.

$20 bucks to a BMW owner is what, about what you normally pay for a half of a tank of gas?!?!

I pay $20 for a good lunch nowadays...

I don't get any of the negativity in this thread, I'm sorry, but I really don't...

#22 ·
Don't get me wrong John. I'm not knocking your efforts. I'm just making some observations on how the event has changed over time. I say commercialized b/c there are vendors. Everyone's hawking something these days. All I wanted to point out was the original BFest used to be a bunch of bimmerheads getting together for a dope ass car show and badass drive afterwards.

#23 ·
What you're not acknowledging is that we lost a sponsor that provided a $50 milllion dollar facility and who also coughed up an additional twenty thousand dollars cash to throw the event when we lost the Cutters...

And those were 20,000 2003 dollars -- more like 35-40k today.

If you can find me a replacement, please let me know.

I for one am excited that Bimmerfest IX is only a month and a half away, and it is only because I will be able to see and hang out with so many cool people I have met at Bimmerfest over the past decade.

However, this thread is bumming me out...

It's only $20 per car, not per head. It's $20... I don't get it...

#24 ·
Per person entry fee ~ Hot Import Nights

(Mostly Honda, Toyota, Nissan & Mitsubishi owners)

2008 Hot Import Nights - Los Angeles, CA

Where: Los Angeles Convention Center
1201 South Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA 90015
When: March 22nd, 2008
Saturday 5pm to Midnight

No Refunds or Exchanges.

Please Note: there is a $2.50 per ticket service fee.

General Admission
$30.00 each

Ages 6 and under are free with paid general-admission adult. 1 free child entry per adult.

This does not include parking or displaying your vehicle...

#25 ·
And if you want to show your vehicle....

Thank you for your interest in Hot Import Nights Los Angeles, online car registrations is now closed and all interested competitors must go through a screening process to ensure the highest level of competition is maintained. Hot Import Nights Los Angeles Roll in will take place at the Los Angeles Convention Center, 1201 S. Figueroa St. Los Angeles, CA 90015 Friday 2-7PM.
There are a few open spots left, if interested please email automotive@hinevents.com and include the best picture of your vehicle. INHOUSE Credit Card payments for Car Registration will be $62.50
Therefore, with entry fee and service charge, the comparable amount is $95.00 ~~ more than 4 times what you pay for Bimmerfest!

Even if there is an error in my math or logic, I still can't believe what I've read in this thread.

$20 per vehicle is what everyone paid last year. There has been no fee increase...

Just a couple of months ago all of the E21 Legion were high-five-ing each other because their cars were featured on a national television commercial.

And now this....

:tsk:

Thank you Bimmerfest.

Oh, and can you make sure that we all get to park together again as you have done for us for the past 4 or 5 years Jon?

#28 ·
Where is Lucky579??? :) We paid $5.00 last year cuz we slept late after the 350 mile drive. But we bought LOTS of raffle tickets to further the cause. We had a fantastic time.
In 2005 we made the event at SB BMW. They even sprang for dogs n cokes which was very generous of them and the vendors.
Jon and Co. do an awesome job of organizing this event and it's really quite unique.
If you want to see the standard custom car show, go ahead and pay the big bucks to be bored. I'll pass on the souped up Nissans and custom Hondas.
We cant make the trip this year but my wife and I are looking forward to 2009.
Keep up the great work, Jon!! :thumbup:

#29 ·
This is a pretty funny thread. I'm as big a fan of "free" as the next guy :) ...but come on, $20, what's the problem???

Hey Jon, I appreciate all your efforts over the years, and look forward to seeing you again this year! Just a couple more months :D

#31 ·
I don't see $20 bucks as a big deal, if you can't afford it then please, DON'T GO.....20 bucks is cheap compared to other car shows and if you don't want to pay for the food or wait in line, bring food like we did last year, it saves money. I can't freakin wait, a month and a half to go! WOO HOO!

#32 ·
Jon,

Spare yourself the brain damage and don't respond to those who just don't get it. It's pretty clear that they will bitch no matter what, and aren't too interested in the time, effort and money that you and others will spend to put an event like this together. I'm guessing that the majority of the complaints are coming from the youngsters for whom $20 really is a big deal. The rest just have an engorged sense of entitlement. IMO bimmerfest is better served by excluding them, and if that can be done for just 20 bucks, then it's a dirt cheap solution.

I'm sure this event will be the biggest and best ever, and I'm excited to be going to my first one, finally.

pk

#35 · (Edited)
Jon, i dont think $20.00 is not a big issue, i personally dont care as i will always go no matter what and i know alot of other people will as well. Its cool to see you and all your friends that time of year, even if its only that one time a year, its at a place you/we all like.

I was speaking from both sides, i can understand why people would be a bit perturbed about the fee, but at teh same time, it really isnt a big deal.

Its that ONE time of the year where you can get to do this, and as long as bimmerfest goes on, I and many others will attend regardless of cost/weather/ etc etc.

Keep it up Jon and see you soon! :thumbup:

Jon,

Spare yourself the brain damage and don't respond to those who just don't get it. It's pretty clear that they will bitch no matter what, and aren't too interested in the time, effort and money that you and others will spend to put an event like this together. I'm guessing that the majority of the complaints are coming from the youngsters for whom $20 really is a big deal. The rest just have an engorged sense of entitlement. IMO bimmerfest is better served by excluding them, and if that can be done for just 20 bucks, then it's a dirt cheap solution.
I'm sure this event will be the biggest and best ever, and I'm excited to be going to my first one, finally.

pk
I'm sorry, but thats an asshole thing to say. So basicly i got from that statement is that if an enthusiast cant spare the extra money of the entrance fee, their SOL? Yeah good attitude there buddy. You forget that not everyone owns/drives E46 M3's or E92's etc etc.

Anyways, keep it up Jon, your always doing a great job on the event. See you there!!!

#36 ·
Ah yes, it must be that time of year again. When BMW owners of certain worth b!tch about being 20 bucks lighter for a day of Bimmerfesting. You guys crack me up. Seriously. Are you seriously asking to have bimmer-welfare? Do you all, in the free market love fest that makes your very existance possible actually WANT to be supported in this way? The irony is thick.

Where do you think all that you will partake in that day come from? Geez. Skip the roundel painted valve stem covers and get your as$es to Bimmerfest. If I lived within a two day drive, I'D be there.....

cheap entitled little bastards
:tsk:

#42 ·
I think it's a good time to close this thread. $20 is a lot of money. The point to reckon with (OPs) is that this is not an increase from last year. Again, the fee has not increased for 2 years now, and I do look forward to seeing my E21 buddies like Atilla and CJ et al.

:beerchug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.