BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Do you really remove slave cylinder to flush?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ayn 
#1 ·
I was reading the Bentley about flushing clutch fluid during lunch, it mentioned that I should remove the slave cylinder and flush it by pushing the pushrod into the cylinder... is this really neccessary?

If I just pressurize the system and flush out the fluid from the bleeding value, will it be good enough?

--Andrew

#4 ·
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I don't know of anyone who bothers...
ahh... that sounds good... :D

I did Eugene's car and we didn't remove it, and the clutch was a lot firmer afterwards already...

But I read it in the Bentley and was just curious... makes sense that I should flush it, but I don't wanna go get the BMW special tool to remove slave cylinder... heh..

--Andrew

#5 ·
ayn said:
ahh... that sounds good... :D

I did Eugene's car and we didn't remove it, and the clutch was a lot firmer afterwards already...

But I read it in the Bentley and was just curious... makes sense that I should flush it, but I don't wanna go get the BMW special tool to remove slave cylinder... heh..

--Andrew
Bentley also suggest hooking up the MoDIC to flush the brake fluid.

I believe the most proper way to flush the brake/clutch hydraulic fluid is to pump the pedals. The most complete way is to disassemble all the parts and clean them inside out. :dunno:

Frankly, I've been using nothing but the brake bleeder and some occasional "pedal pump" and have had very good success so far.

#6 ·
I know I know... hehe...

Thanks for all your help, Nick and Dan...

I'll just do it the way I've been doing last 4 times or so... but 3 of those times I didn't have a clutch, and we didn't read the Bentley when Eugene and I did his car...

Bot some ATE SB for $8 a can at bimmerparts, not bad!

--Andrew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.