BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

335i vs 328i

4K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  gkr778 
#1 ·
Hey guys im new the forum. :) I am looking at purchasing my first BMW. But im troubled to choose between the 335i and 328i. Which one is better in the long run ( I plan on buying it used with around 40k miles and driving till 130k around that). Aswell the reliability of it. I also heard that the 335i feels smoother when driving it which is a reason why im considering it.

#2 ·
This has been discussed a ton.

photo search1_zps2109aeaf.jpg

#4 · (Edited)
The 4 cylinder will be cheaper to maintain from a parts/ labor perspective.

Reliability will depend less on the engine and more on the electronics.

As for smoothness any I6 will be smoother than a 4 cylinder. I6's are inherently balanced.

#5 ·
Here's my brief input....

I'm about to purchase a CPO 2104 535i for my wife. I had my mind all but set on a 528i.... until my SA & SM got into my ear.

My SA has been with BMW a little more than 8YRS. My SM, who has become a good family friend over the years as well as some business ventures we've endulged together in over the last three years or so, has been with BMW for almost 32YRS. Originally trained in the Mother Land. I respect his opinions immensely.

They both strongly advised me against my original route, off the record.

They have both seen, and continue to see, several 28i in both the Series 5 and Series 3 come back for various warranty issues. They see next to no 35i in both Series return for warranty work. Outside of the OEM warranty period, the 28i in both Series are frequent flyers. The Series 5, seldom so.

Yes, my choice of vehicle purchase is not a Series 3 like you wanted feedback on, but you get the drift.

Good luck ultimately in your selection.

#6 ·
I would not choose based on reliability. The N20 does not seem to suffer from any endemic problems. There's no documentation on this and based on posts here over the last 4 years, there does not seem to be any common issues. My own experience at 41,000 miles has been flawless.

Either engine will require normal maintenance over the years and on a BMW it will be pricey. The 335 N55 engine is a wonder. Inherently smooth, sonorous and powerful, it's a great engine. The 328i N20 engine is also powerful and relatively smooth. But an inline 4 is not inherently smooth.

Fuel economy will be better in the N20.

I suggest you drive both and make your decision based on your impressions.

#8 ·
At least he didn't ask if this was a good lease deal....

This is an easy answer. Don't ever buy the version of the car that they use for dealer loaners. The 328i is a "nice" car but not in the same league as the 335i.

#9 ·
its not even close for me. The price point also doesn't make sense to settle for the 328i if you would like HK lighting package and a few other things that come standard on the 335i. I recently stated on another thread, after having a 328i loaner for almost a week. The car simply is not the same as with the N55.

#10 ·
I've recently owned both. Simply put, the 328 is very capable, but the 335 is on a whole other level imo, and having owned E30s, E36s and E46s, much more what I was accustomed to.

As for reliability, I had a terrible experience with the 328 but it was a very early model (2012) and it seems like all the wrinkles have since been ironed out.

#13 ·
If money is not big issue get the 335. I find that I'd rather be mad/annoyed whatever you want to call it, for a month or so after I pay a lot for something, than annoyed the length of time I own something I "settled" on. You wont be dismayed either way but I am sure one will make you happier than the other. Then next time you will be asking about an M.

#14 ·
Why would you even consider a 335 or 328 when the 428GC is the best car BMW has ever made?

#15 ·
428GC isn't relevant to lilyoungin's question in the first place. Also, used F30 335i or 328i with 40k mi. or greater are far more common than used 428i meeting the same criteria.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.