BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What makes an enthusiast an enthusiast?

4K views 63 replies 40 participants last post by  f30jojo 
#1 ·
I think the term is used very loosely, especially in the F30 forum. Buying an msport 335/328 or even a sport 320 doesn't make you an enthusiast. Hell, in my experience, almost every M3 owner I've met was a complete tool or had NO idea what they bought.

So, what makes an enthusiast? And enough of all the political correctness. This whole site needs a shake/wake up.

If you ask me, an enthusiast should know a bit of history, know every option available (and what years its available), someone that truly enjoys their vehicles and driving. Also someone that has owned or driven many different models and years.

Things an enthusiast isn't? A "fanboy" or a blind loyalist. I appreciate any well built vehicle, especially concerning performance.

#2 ·
Apparently it requires RWD, a manual transmission, not too much horsepower, and most importantly, a strong belief that there is no other way to be an enthusiast. :rofl:

#10 · (Edited)
One online definition of "enthusiast" is: a person who is highly interested in a particular activity or subject, e.g. a sports car enthusiast.

Merriam-Webster definition of "enthusiasm" is:

: strong excitement about something : a strong feeling of active interest in something that you like or enjoy
: something causing a feeling of excitement and active interest : a hobby that someone feels enthusiastic about.

These definitions seem to imply that anyone who enjoys to read and post on bimmerfest and F30 sub-forum should qualify as an enthusiast. Whether these definitions are accepted by our fellow enthusiastic festers would be up to interpretation. :)

#12 · (Edited)
A true enthusiast requires roll up windows, loathes power steering and you can 'pry the stick shift out of his cold, dead hands'. 'Enthusiasts' love talking about 'weight savings' and proclaiming that things like a moon roof 'adds weight' which is somehow detrimental to their stoplight drag races or trips to the store or work or their 'track days'. Enthusiasts seem to believe these things actually matter in their everyday lives.

#18 ·
It's truly difficult to be an enthusiast in these times of computer controlled everything. Back in my day you could actually see the ground when you lifted the hood (bonnet). You had multiple SU or Weber carbs that had to be flow balanced constantly so they would deliver correct air/fuel mixes. The spark plugs had to be changed every 10,000 mi (or sooner), the oil was changed every 3000 mi (in your driveway), and the british car drivers were so jealous of the italian car drivers. I owned a 1962 Alfa Romeo Guilietta sprint that had to have new head gaskets every year because the aluminum DOHC engine was not strong enough to resist twisting and thus water in the oil. This task was performed annually in my garage. It was something that you did yourself if you didn't have the money to pay others to do it for you. Enthusiasts woud show up on the weekend with grime under their nails from actually working on their cars (not just polishing). At my age I remember and delight from those memories but I marvel at the electronic advances.

Enthusiast? If you think like one, you are one!

Have a nice drive:)

#19 ·
Ah, the good old days. Shocks, brakes, and clutch every 20K miles. Pouring carb cleaner down the carb with billows of muck coming out of the back. Fixing a flat tire every two or three months. The good old days.

When I went uphill in the rain, the windshield wipers would pause on my mother's car.

#20 ·
The definition of an enthusiast will always change by generation and interest. Knowing option codes, understanding invoice pricing, and possessing a 6MT are just specific examples of characteristics of an enthusiast. Enthusiasts are experts by interest - no matter what that may be.

#23 ·
Well Bear,

I read your build history and that's what I'm talking about. It's not your knowlege of a specific aspect of a marque, it's your devotion to it. You had the courage to undertake a complete build and you enjoy the Saturdays hanging out with others who have similar interests. Whether or not a person does a complete build, wrenches a rebuild, codes improvements into the computer, obsessively washes and waxes or simply enjoys driving for the sake of driving, they can be considered an enthusiast. It is a state of mind, not a test. Enjoy it:beerchug:

#25 · (Edited)
I think the term is used very loosely, especially in the F30 forum. Buying an msport 335/328 or even a sport 320 doesn't make you an enthusiast. Hell, in my experience, almost every M3 owner I've met was a complete tool or had NO idea what they bought.

So, what makes an enthusiast? And enough of all the political correctness. This whole site needs a shake/wake up.

If you ask me, an enthusiast should know a bit of history, know every option available (and what years its available), someone that truly enjoys their vehicles and driving. Also someone that has owned or driven many different models and years.

Things an enthusiast isn't? A "fanboy" or a blind loyalist. I appreciate any well built vehicle, especially concerning performance.
Hi, I'm sygazelle and I'm and enthusiast.

Most likely, I don't fit your description since I really like BMWs better than their competition and I've felt that way for 25 years. I've driven many of the competitive makes and models and I just happen to like BMWs better. It's not blind loyalty to me. Its just what I happen to like. If Audi, MB, or anyone else launches a car I like better I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. That has not happened yet. You can call it blind loyalty or maybe I'm a fanboy, who knows. It does not make me less of an enthusiast.

I'm an enthusiast because I have a passion for cars; things like taking the long way home, appreciating the fine engineering on BMWs and other brands, getting excited about the new models coming out, going to car shows and car museums whenever I can, doing European Delivery, learning about the new features and technology, driving enthusiastically where safe to do so, etc. I used to think that having MT was a requirement of being an enthusiast, but no more since my version of an enthusiast embraces new technologies. Being an enthusiast means taking the time to do research on engines, features, and packages and doing proper test drives before purchasing.

I know I'm an enthusiast. It doesn't matter to me if others have a different definition.

#26 ·

Do you think anyone other than a fanboy would memorize the options list??

#28 · (Edited)
Not memorizing the list but at least know things like: xdrive deletes sport suspension, regardless of "line", to get the M steering wheel you must order Msport or 320 sport. These are things most salesman don't, but should, know.

One of my peve's is when one says " an off ramp is a terrible thing to waste". You should take some driving classes offered and understand what your cap is capable of in different conditions. And realizing YOUR comfort limit may not even be close to the vehicles limit. I don't claim to be an expert or professional but I understand my limits and each vehicles limits.

#35 · (Edited)
It is actually a good question. I don't believe I have an answer to it, but I also believe that enthusiasts will go out of comfort zone because of the thing they are passionate about. That could be student on budget spending next 5 months of electrical bills to spend a weekend at Le Mans just as a person who needs his/her body to function in order to keep earning 7 figures, yet he/she pushes the car 5-7 mph past comfort zone into fast sweeper on the track.

IMO, of course

#40 · (Edited)
I believe that along with many other things in life there are certain levels to this..

Success is measured by numerous variables...

A child progressing though their toddler years have many levels of intelligence..

A BMW enthusiast sure has it's different levels.

FOr example a low level; Level 1 BMW enthusiast may not own a BMW but yet they follow the brand and they know the models, packages, history, etc, But they never even sat inside one nor have they drove one for them selves. He/SHe hopes one day they become a level 2 enthusiast...

Which in that case they have obtained the "Research, up all night studying BMW knowledge, AND they now own their 1st BMW. Within a few weeks (seconds) they realized they made probably one of the best decisions of their lives. (Like when I bought my 1st BMW 540i for $6000 with 225K on the clock). Within a year or so then they start becoming a Level 3er

Level 3 is when you start Modding, cleaning it by hand every 2 weeks, looking into your 2nd BMW, which may or may not be a stick shift or a even true M car like a 2008 M3, slightly used. Level 3 is when you can get heavier on the forums and actually providing insight to those Level 1's out there.

Then there is Level 4-6, which I'm sure you can use your imagination, Track Days, drag racing, spending lots of money, performance center, European delivery, buying your kids their 1st BMW, I mean it just keeps going guys.

We are all some type of enthusiast at heart and that is my input...

#41 ·
I thnk this sums it up for me.

When I was 16, I bought a Datsun 510, had it for a few years, many rebuilds later, sold it. I do miss balancing the Weber carbs on a Friday night... NOT

When I was 24, bought a GSXR750 (in Canada) and went racing with it here in the States... I do miss balancing those carbs on a Friday night.... NOT

When I was 30, bought a 92 Vett, I do miss visiting the GM service department because the car had elec issues... NOT

When I was 34, bought a Alfa GTV-6, I truly miss that car, it was the car that got me to understand when an italian car is running perfect there is no better car.. and I wish I had it today..

Today at 52, I don't need a MT, to make me an enthusiast, I love cars, I know what I like, and why I like them. In Europe when we saw the Ferrari's it was nice to see them, but didn't all too exceited over it, now if I was 30, would have been a different story.

#42 ·
An enthusiast is someone who has ///M badges all over their 320i. :thumbup:

#45 ·
I would say if you spend an inordinate amount of time on the forums and time thinking about your car, thinking about your next car, thinking about modding your car, modding your car, detailing your car, etc. than you are an enthusiast. I don't necessarily think its healthy though. I would love to think about my stupid car a LOT less. There are days when I feel like its the perfect car and days that I can't wait to get into my next car. Its all basically a massive money and time waste.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.