BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

oil service reset 1998 740il

12K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  joyism5 
#1 ·
how do you reset the oil service light on the dash???? need help :yikes:

#2 ·
There are cheats. I bought the tool - about $20.

#5 · (Edited)
Please do NOT proceed in a willy-nilly way...to ground ANY of the pins in the 20 pin DLC UNLESS you ABSOLUTELY know which pins to short and what procedure to follow. To do so could leave you very frustrated as you scramble to find out why your car won't start or some other electrical issue that you'll be trying to figure out over the next months of ownership. Just like flipping a breaker in your home's breaker box is simple and easy...it should not be taken lightly and with disregard when working on it...for example, you wouldn't go poking around willy-nilly in your homes breaker box with a fork. :yikes:

If you don't have a reset tool...you can short pins #7 & #19 with a simple wire. AGAIN...this is a very simple procedure...but if you don't pay attention to what you're doing, you can create a lot of damage. Each pin is MARKED...so make sure that you can see the numbers and know exactly which pins you are shorting.

I suggest marking pins #7 & #19 with something permanent so that it is easy NOT to make a mistake. See the pic below for the pin location...and click the link for the procedure to reset the SI (service interval) lights. The instructions are at the bottom of my e39 540iT oil change procedure...but don't worry, the procedure is the same for the e38:

scroll down to the instructions on how to reset the SI lights: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3134093/1999-bmw-5-series/page-5/

pins #7 & #19 shorted with a simple wire...you can also use a pair of needle-nosed pliers...or a paper clip

#6 ·
I got my tool from my local indy workshop.

#7 · (Edited)
Hats down for the master explanation of Qsilver7. BTW #19 is ground. Has been checked with multimeter on multiple cars with this type of connector. I feel that telling people more than one number, confuses them. I always go with pacman and jump it from the strut tower. If you played pacman, you will remeber. I just don't see why people are spending dollars for tools that are not needed, but just like the post above says...if you have problems with memory, spend the $ on tools. Otherwise, you will be hunting, what fuse you blown:rofl: It worked for E30, E34, E36, E39,E46, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.