BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Do you have "VOICE COMMAND"???

4K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  b-y 
#1 ·
I have an '07 with premium and nav --which includes bluetooth. I just found out that I can operate the phone and the nav with "voice commands"--thanks to forum member XJSCris--because I never recieved a manual on the voice commands and the window sticker did not list it and the sales man never mentioned it, I had no reason to try it..
So all you X3 owners that have Nav and bluetooth--read XJSCris post http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221435
and click the link to the manual--I was shocked to find I had it-:yikes:-I just went through the '07 sales booklet and there is no mention of "Voice Command" anywhere--what other surprises are there??
Check it out --you may have it--:)

#3 ·
It really pisses me off that BMW salespeople are not doing there jobs... They are supposed to walk you through all of that crap.. also, they're supposed to demonstrate the Voice Command as well as pair your bluetooth phones..

Doesn't surprise me though, for some salespeople know nothing about the cars they are selling..

slackers... :mad:

If you can, hammer them via a complaint with BMW Customer Service.

#4 ·
After some time with the manual and the voice command in the X3 I come to the conclusion that the X3 voice command system is a "dumbed down" version of what is in the booklet--none of the nav commands respond and if I ask for anything to do with the phonebook (such as "read phonebook" and "dial name") It responds "phonebook empty"--
How does yours work??:dunno:

#8 · (Edited)
you have to program the name w/the number. The voice command programming is separate from your uploaded cell phone book. Press the voice button and say "options." You will better understand what to do from that point on.

Also, note- the voice command system can be frustrating. It doesn't always work and according to the dealership it can take up to 2 mos. for the computer system to understatand all of your names/numbers/commands.

#9 ·
I don't buy the dealership comment--2 months?--what is that based on-usage--calendar--phases of the moon??-:dunno: My Brother had a Taurus 4 years ago that worked better than this. Ill try the "options" command, although its not in the manual. Maybe we should just add this to the list of complaints of the BMW Bluetooth in other postings on this forum. :(

#10 ·
The voice phonebook and the phonebook that transfers with some BT implementations are separate. To see this in action, after your have paired your phone do the following:

• Press and hold the "talky face" button for a few seconds, then let go.
  • Say "help".
  • Listen to the commands. Follow the directions to enter a name and number.
  • Say "end".
  • The press and hold the button again, let go, say "dial name".
  • Respond with the correct name. Listen as your phone is dialed.
You can make the list longer. One of the commands lists all the names. Again, this is separate from the phonebook that is in your phone.

As I pointed out above, the manuals posted here are NOT for North American X3's. Unless you have retro-fitted other equipment, there is no pairing button, there are no NAV voice commands, etc.

#11 ·
2 months...that's what they said, but I don't buy it. The voice command system in these cars are skittish. I have 2 and both cars work or don't work. I have programmed 10 names and the corresponding numbers and it won't always recognize the name. When I prompt the v/r system to read me my phone book, it lists the name I was looking for, but I can't always bring it up on voice prompt...good luck to all.

Still, don't limit yourselves. Hold the button down for the 5 seconds and speak options to listen to all that you can do...when it works. Remember, it only holds 20 names in the voice command system...so I was told.

#14 ·
also you dont need NAV... on my 07 X3 with premium i was able to use it this morning... SWEET FIND... did not even know i could do this.

looks like it stores its own phonebook seperate from the phonebook uploaded to the X3 tho. but it works pretty good for soemthing i didnt even know i had... haha

#15 ·
You know, I think these posts prove that many c/a's aren't doing their jobs and that BMW needs to update their manuals.

#16 ·
Is this for only 2007 models or do 2005/2004 models have this feature?

#17 ·
I don't know--do you have the "talk" button on your steering wheel controls??--looks like a face with waves comming from the mouth---hold it down for a few seconds till you hear a beep and the radio silences(I think you need a BT enabled phone allready mated with the car) if it beeps and the radio mutes then speak "help"--if someone answers then your in--if not then use profanity--it won't make it work but you may feel better--:rofl:

#22 ·
I am not talking about Bluetooth connectivity - that part works. I'm referring to "voice control".

#26 ·
Please read ALL the posts in this thread. It was not an option--but a limited (phone-only) voice command was built into the BT TCU. If you have the PP it should work.

Originally posted by double.daddy:
Tried the voice command with no luck. So, in summary, I have bluetooth installed but voice command doesn't seem to be installed (or activated).
See the above comment. Pair your BT phone, push the "Talky face" button until you hear the beep, say "help", and follow the directions. Or have the system repaired at the dealer. There is nothing to activate (but you may have a defective TCU).

#28 ·
Please read ALL the posts in this thread. It was not an option--but a limited (phone-only) voice command was built into the BT TCU. If you have the PP it should work.

I did read the entire post. It's my understanding that if the TCU is below 3rd generation then voice command is not an option.

Unless the TCU was upgraded, the 2005 models do not have this capability.
Your "understanding" is NOT correct. I have a 2004 with a MY 2005 TCU installed by the dealer in 2005. It has voice control for dialing, etc.

#25 ·
This is a great find and I've successfully set it up with my 5 favorites. Frankly, I kind of like it separated from the phonebook as my phonebook is so long that I can't truly edit it. So with the voice phonebook, it actually stays edited.

Plus, when my wife brings in her bluetooth cell phone, the main phonebook is updated and changes (no more top 8). But at least the voice phone book works for both of us, so we now have one shared phone book.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.