BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1983 528e Transmission Problem?

9K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  south26 
#1 ·
Hello all. A newbie here. I purchased a 1983 528e about 6 months ago. It's my first BMW. Coming home last night, I noticed the auto transmission seemed to be slipping. I pulled over and checked fluid level. Nothing showed up. I limped it home. I got home this evening and added a quart. Level looked OK. It was cold. I then started car and let it warm up. Put car in drive and it's worst. Accelrates but barely goes forward. Reverse is fine. Checked fuild again and seemed low again so I added some more. Fluid appears to be correct when warmed up/normal temperature now. Is the transmission gone? Should I try to change filter and fluid and see if that helps or is it a lost cause?

Any idea of degree of difficulty to change transmission?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob in Ohio

#2 ·
Sounds like your transmission is dead. I wouldn't bother replacing it with another used one considering the amount of work involved. If you are mechanically inclined you could probably do it yourself. What I did when the one in my 325e died was to go to an automatic transmission shop, buy the book for the specific transmission (I'm not sure if your car has the ZF 4HP22 or ZF 3HP22). A buddy with a lift is key here and a lot of VERY long extensions. Muffler has to come out, driveshaft also. If you go this way take your torque converter to get checked and cleaned and get a full rebuilt kit. This will include all seals, clutches, gaskets, etc. DON'T open the valve body as it is full of small vavles, balls, springs, etc.
On the other hand if you find a used one that was recently repaired go for it! Feel the oil and give it a smell. You don't want anything that smells burned and looks dark, like brown.

Good Luck!

#3 ·
1983 528e Transmission

Thanks for the response. I looked around the net for rebuilt/reman transmissions and they seemed kind of high dollar wise. I'm saying this from the point of view that this car was purchased for my son who will be 16 next week and I'll be turning the car over to him once he gets his permit. He is a serious BMW fanatic and talked me into the car. I've grown to like it and didn't want to scrap it because of a transmission. I only paid $800 for the car. It has around 165k miles on it. The interior is in awesome shape. The body is rustfree. I did some research and I came away with the facts that the motor is a workhorse and can last for over 300k miles easily

I ended up finding a used transmission for a reasonable price and I will attempt to change it out with the help of my brother in law. It has the ZF 3HP22 transmission in it. I've never changed a transmission in my life but I've got a Haynes manual and a Chiltons manual on the way to me.

From reading around on the forum, I've picked up that I'll need to remove the exhaust and the driveshaft and go from there. Also I'll need long extensions.

Any other words of wisdom or pitfalls to be aware of?

Thanks for taking the time for reading/responding.

Bob

#4 ·
If you intend to mantain these cars the correct book to get is the Bentley's manual. You can get it from Amazon. This is the bible for maintaining these cars as it has troubleshooting and ways for testing every sensor for the fuel injection system for example.
These cars are great, are built like a tank and fun to drive!
Good Luck!

#5 ·
In regards to the tranny change, It went so-so. I attempted in my garage at home with car and jackstands and got everything but 3 bolts off. There was no way I could get to the 3 bolts. I ended up taking a garage that let me put it on the lift. That made it easier but it couldn't be done easily. Had a 3' extension and a swivel and it was by feel that I could get to the bolts. Since this was first time it took some time.

Good news is that it's installed and running.

BTW, first time I've run across what I'll call reverse torx head bolts. Nothing a trip to a auto parts house couldn't solve though.

Bob

#6 ·
I also had to replace my transmission in my 88' 528e. we did it in our drive way, and also just saying, Its a Tank. it is my first car, and i'm not easy on it. i was rear-ended by a truck going 30 and it barley hurt my car at all. just broke my plastic piece on the back bumper on the passenger side. :p does it run fine now though?

#11 ·
brand new to this site. I am original owner of 1986 528e and a friend was test driving it yesterday to potentially purchase it and he was driving and for no reason car wouldn't go forward but it would go in reverse. from your comments it sounds like a transmission issue. unfortunately he doesn't have a clue on auto maintenance so I don't want him to purchase this. 240,000 miles. any ideas other than replacing transmission.

#12 ·
What happens is the a-pack in the tranny dies. Theses are the clutchs that take care of going forward. The only way to fix is to stop the tranny and replace either the tranny or the a-pack. At this time the car is nothing more then a parts car and being not worth more then 700 dollars.

You can replace the autotragic with s manual swap. The whole swap tends to go for 700 dollars plus shipping.

Sndy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.